Red Fang and Cannabis Rex in a Sealed 2x12, Will It Handle Heavy Distortion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Josh O, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I almost jumped to the Wizard/Governor combo in my sealed 2x12 for my Fuchs BJ21 but I'm wondering if a lower wattage speaker combo would be better for this 21 watt amp. My amp itself does not put out heavy distortion but I use a variety of pedals for medium to heavy distortion and also heavy stoner fuzz. The Wizard/Governor combo will give me a 150 watt cab, I think the RF/CR will give me like 60 watts or so. I've read where the RF does well except with heavy distortion but I've also read it handles it just fine in a closed back cab. I wish I had all these speakers at my disposal to try before buy!!!!

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

THe Cannabis Rex handles heavy distortion great at loud volumes. I've used them all in open-back cabs too .. Strange but true.. The Red Fangs I had mixed feelings on . Let others sway you . Personally I don't like anyone swaying me with speakers any more. They're SO dependent on which amp you're using and HOW LOUD YOU PLAY. I was finding guys who play with amps on 1, or living in apartments giving speaker advice and speakers are SO SO different when cranked than when playing a very low volumes. Some sound way better cranked and some actually to me sound worse. Anyway, good luck... 2 Cannabis Rexes in my Naylor open back were by far the best speakers for that cab.. I didn't even like the cabinet until I tried those. I HAVE NOT experimented with them in my Marshall or Engl 4x12 or my Bogner 2x12 as I'm happy with those cabs, have WAY TOO MANY speakers, and don't want to buy more speakers ... So probably although knowing me , I'd like them more, I'm not gonna deal with it. The Red Fangs were along the lines of a Weber P12B meets a Celestion Blue and that works for a lot of styles , and will be many people's #1, but for me doesn't work as good as some for hard rock , or heavy rock styles, or even other pop-rock styles. It's all personal! Enjoy

Eric

3. Josh O

Josh O Member

Hi eric, thanks for the candid response. Believe me, it seems like alot of people agree with you regarding Red Fangs not working for heavy rock styles which I tend to really lean towards. It's so tough to really decide without just buying a bunch or experimenting. I think I'd be better suited with lower wattage speakers for this particular amp although Fuchs own cabinets come loaded with Wizards. Of course, that doesn't mean that cab is optimal for my BJ21 as it might be optimal for the ODS or something with a lot higher wattage than mine.

I guess what it boils down to is either:

(1) am I better off with lower wattage speakers to try and get better amp efficiency

or

(2) Does it not matter

If I were running a more efficient setup, would it be a true statement I'd be able to take advantage of getting the amp to sound fuller at a lower volume? That probably came out really stupid but I find that in order to get the amp to sound really sweet clean and for my pedals to really sound right, I have to pass the "threshold" of very quiet to a little too loud with the volume if I have my three year old groupie in my room. When I'm alone, I don't care, I crank it up but for the times when I don't want to blow my little one's ear drums out, I can't dial in the "optimal volume" level which is why I've been considering a Dr. Z Airbrake to get a little attenuation. Maybe a more efficient cabinet will make the difference and save me from having to buy the Z?

4. go7

go7 Member

+1 Cannabis Rex,does everything well. When pushed quite amazing considering the descrition emminence gives them .Those suckers can rock!! Good luck!!

5. ericb

Yes they can , and the louder you play them the better.

Josh , I'm not a fan of lo-wattage speakers unless playing lo volume, or NOT heavy gain I've found out .... I think Eminence makes lots of killer 50-100 watt speakers now, and my favorite Celestions have always been 60-90 watts ... And I like EV's ,etc. I have a 4x12 70's Marshall cab that I have 70's Creamback/Tanback 'Greenbacks' in that I like a lot ,but once again for heavier gain , the higher wattage speakers are better to me.

Eric (that's only my experience.. .my routine disclaimer lol )

OK, if you want FULLER at lo-volume (once again I don't know what 'lo-volume' means, 4x12's sounds FULLEST. I rarely use 4x12's though (even though I own 3 of them) ..... EFFICIENCY has nothing to do with fuller , to me. Efficiency will help determine loudness and sometimes loudness = directional in my experience.

6. Josh O

Josh O Member

The Cannabis Rex is rated for 50 watts, so two in parallel would give me a 100 watt cab so I guess I'd be cool in the heavy gain dept?

What's the thoughts on my stupid postulation that by running a more effiicient cabinet, I'll be able to get a "fuller" sound at a lower overall volume? My cab right now is rated for 200 watts.

7. ericb

Efficiancy has no correlation to "fuller" at all to me. Sorry! Fullness is all dependent on WHICH speaker you use, which cabinet and how you dial in the amp. I don't even think about those things. Nothing means ANYTHING on paper to me when it comes to music. It's purely trying things and seeing what they sound like and dialing them in the best of our abilities. If anything I've found higher wattage speakers to sound fuller for what I do, but I prefer 50-90 watt speakers for most everything. If you're asking about the Cannabis Rex sounding full at really really low volumes I don't have enuf experience at low volumes, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. I always play at a pretty medium-loud rock band volume, whether with my band, other bands, or jamming at home. Eric

8. Josh O

Josh O Member

I hear ya Eric. Time to just jump into the pool and try something out.

9. Electric I

Electric I Member

Not sure how it plays with others, but the Em Texas Heat is reputed to be ideal under heavy gain...

10. ericb

Seriously it's worth it.. You can buy the new Eminences from a variety of places thru ebay.. Some even include shipping (Shipping is getting more expensive these days due to gas prices,etc) . Otherwise you can try used ones. Meanwhile, if you don't like it , I've found you can resell for a 10.00 -20.00 loss or even break even if you're a REAL patient /smart shopper. There's no better method and it's not that expensive.. I don't smoke cigarettes but imagine what smokers are paying a day now. I think about every time I go out to our local bar (unfortunately I'm sorta single these days , so I occasionally do this) .. It's easy to spend 30-40.00 without thinking about it.... Going out to eat with my kids I spend 40.00... With speakers , just pay the money ,try them and if you don't like them , you sell them and lose less than a normal eating, drinking or smoking day! There's the reality of it for me... Of course the other reality is I have a basement absolutely full of gear as I hate selling! lol Good luck Josh

Eric

11. Josh O

Josh O Member

Thanks, after all the talk about Eminence speakers, I ended up deciding to go with ceramic Weber Silver Bells (the 50 watt ones with light doping). Let the games begin!!! :dude

12. janek

janek Member

I tested 2 Cannabis rex linked in series (for 16 ohms) in oversized 4X12 with my Hiwatt.They are great sounding speakers but unfortunattely not in this case.Too compressed under heavy levell and to bassy.They are great in open 2X12 cabinet with lower wattage.

13. Boogs

Boogs Member

They might sound better overall in parallel if 4 ohms is an option. Still, that would not lessen the low end.

With Emi's chunky low-end speakers, and the overwound pups I gravitate toward, I end up with barely enough room to dial out low end!