Red fang vs celestion blue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 69strat, Oct 7, 2005.

1. 69strat

69strat Member

Can anyone provide a side by side sound clip of these two speakers?

2. KenSea

KenSea Member

I would like to hear this too!

3. KenSea

KenSea Member

4. kevmin

kevmin Member

The mids are clearer and less complex on the Fangs. The Blues have a more unique sounding midrange tone and they tend to get a raspy sound that alot of guys love when overdriven. The fangs purr, while the blues get some grit. The highs are a little bit sweeter on the blues, but as the fangs break in, the difference is not as apparent. The lower mids are stronger on the blues, but the fangs have better lower bottom end. The stronger lower mids make the blues seem a little fatter. But due to the better bass handling, he Fangs sounds better with more power. A Blue will make a lower wattage amp sound bigger. A fang is less efficient to my ear. It will make a louder amp more manageable. There is something magical about a Blue, no doubt. But I personally prefer the sound of the Fang. The price is not a concern to me, I just like the Fang better. The Weber is cool too, but a little dark to my ear.

s360guitarist likes this.
  5. KenSea

KenSea Member

Great input!

6. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I have both and the Red Fang has a little bit more of a treble edge to the tone. The Blue sounds a bit rounder.

I like a G12H30 better than both though.

7. KenSea

KenSea Member

What amp are you using?

8. THROBAK

KenSea,

Right now I have the Red Fang in my Marshall DSL 201. But I have tried the Red Fang, Blue and G12H30 in my 1x12" 18 watt clone. The G12H30 sounded almost identical to the Blue but better. It had more articulate highs and lows than the Blue. I am a big fan of Alnico speakers and I was surprised by how similar the G12H30 sounded to the Blue. The G12H30 sounds closer to the Blue than the Red Fang IMHO.

Right now I have the Blue in my Matchless Lightning clone. It sounds great but I am afraid to try a G12H30 in it because I am afraid I will like it better than the Blue. And I don't want to orphan a speaker as expensive as the Blue.

9. 69strat

69strat Member

Wow!!! A g12h30 sounds better than a blue!!!! C.mon guys, where,s the debate!!!! I too love the g12h30 in certain applications, but I also love the fang. I dont have any experience with the blue and that is why I started this thread. Are you sure your not deaf!!!! Only kidding, being from the big crapple ,oh I mean the big apple, I could,nt resist.

10. THROBAK

69Strat,

Listen no one was more bummed or surprised than me. After all I paid the exorbitant price for the Blue and this was when they were still around $125.00. I would love it to blow the G12H30 away but the fact is that the difference is slight and not in the Blue's favor when you compare it to a G12H30. I'm not the only one with this view.

Buy one then tell me if you like it better than the G12H30.

talentless hack likes this.
  11. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Throbak, have you compared the G12H to the Eminence Wizard?

Or to the Celestion Heritage G12-H 55 Hz?

12. THROBAK

Pentode,

No I have not tried any of those speakers yet.

My favorite speakers are the G12H30 for a Marshall, a vintage 50's P12R for a Tweed Deluxe clone and the Sammi Sound ME300B40 works great with Marshalls or Fenders. The Sammi has a nice vintage vibe to it. It has the same pulpier cone paper of real vintage speakers. It is cheap also, if you can find them.

13. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Thanks Throbak. I've heard really good things about the Sammi but have never tried one. I like the G12-H too. The Wizard is Eminence's version of it. The Heritage is supposed to be a more accurate reissue of the originals, but they are very pricey. The Wizard, on the other hand, is very inexpensive.

By the way, I checked out your website, very cool stuff!

Has anyone else compared these models? (Wizard/Heritage/G12H Anniversary)

Also, has anyone tried Weber's version of the G12H. He has both 75 and 55 hz versions. He also has it available in Alnico, which may be a really good alternative to the Blue/Red Fang, since it should have the alnico sweetness/smoothness but with better bass response.

14. Gretschman

Gretschman Member

I can help with this one for sure.
    I own both . I have 3 Blues cabinets including a 412 and I own 2 Red Fang 212's .

I have A/B them on a Blueverb 50 watt tube amp playing an American Strat HSS . Your not gonna beleive this but , they sound best together. Stacked / open back . The Blues are sharper and bite a little more . The Red Fangs are a little more creamy and subdued than the Blues . I stacked one on top of the other and stood back bought 12 feet and BAMB ! What a great sound !! That is the ultimate combination of tone . It's the baddest sound that I've ever heard period !

15. Rick330man

Rick330man Member

Now that the Red Fang has been out there for a while, I'd like to bring this thread back to life.

I've got 5 Celestion blues and 3 Red Fangs used in different applications. My favorite has got to be an Avatar closed back 4 X 12" that has 1 Celestion Blue, 1 Red Fang, 1 Vintage 30 and 1 Reverend Alltone 1250. I'll go so far as to say that it is probably my favorite cab in my arsenal.

I prefer the Red Fang to the Blue because it has more character. It has a midrange growl that is musical. The Blue is great for cleans, but it can sound sterile.

Each lends itself experimenting with partner speakers. This is where I think each shines in that it brings something additional to the table

16. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

wow... 7 year bump.

Anyways, I had both and the blues were more dynamic and 3d and nicer in every way. I have the red fangs in an open back avatar 2x12 and I sold them. But I always wondered if I had the old or the new version of the speaker. There was a price difference as well.

17. Rick330man

Rick330man Member

I have two of the Avatar open back 212s. I had a 3rd, but gave it away as a birthday gift to a friend. Of all of the speaker cabinets I have or have had - and that would be about 20 over 30+ years - the open back Avatar 212s were about the toughest cabinets I encountered to get the tone I liked.

Right now, 1 Avatar 212 has a Celestion Blue and a Jensen C12N re-issue. The other has a Reverend Alltone and an Eminence Legend 125. The Avatar tends to be a little dark. Speakers with a treble edge seem to do best in there. Greenbacks (which I love) and G12T-75s can't get justice in there. On the other hand, the bargain Celestion 70/80 in combination with something else sounds really good. I'm about to replace the Blue in one and go back to the 70/80.

I tried the Red Fangs in the 212 and was very disappointed. It sounded very dull. One of my 212s came loaded with 2 Celestion Blue Alnicos. It sounded too sterile - almost shrill. With other speakers, the Avatar 212 sounds fine. With alnicos, no.

Bottom line; from my experience, time in an open back Avatar 212 shouldn't carry too much weight when evaluating either the Red Fang or the Blue Alnico.

18. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I've never had a Blue, but not long after the Red Fangs came out I bought a GB128, a Private Jack and a Red Fang. I tried them all in a 1x12 closed back cab for a period of about 2 weeks each. All three were used and worked in. The Re Fang ranked last on my list, with the BG12 and Private Jack being about equal. I ended up keeping the PJ because I was offered more for the GB12 at the time, and sold the Fang for what would seem like a ridiculous amount now.

When the Fang first came out it was a lower cost alternative, and very appealing. The price crept up and up every two weeks or so as Cobalt was in demand and now it's about the same price as a Celestion Blue. Astounding.

19. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Try some of the WGS offerings, as well. Their two takes on the G12H are very very nice.

20. Rick330man

Rick330man Member

Hey, Sparky. How's it going? Been a while since we talked Hot Rod Deluxe.

I actually stuck both a Celestion Blue and then a Red Fang in one of my HRDs. Each sounded interesting and each handled the boomy bass really well. I still prefer a Reverend Alltone 1250 (no longer made) or a Celestion G12M-25 Greenback in the HRDs.

The GB12s are great speakers. I have two Avatar closed back vertical slant 212s that I bought about 10 years ago. They are no longer made. They each came with 2 Eminence Legend V12s. In each, I pulled one V12 and replaced it with a Celestion Vintage 30. That combination sounded great. I then pulled the V12s and replaced them both with GB12s. WOW! Phenomenal tone.