Red Fang wattage change?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doc, Feb 22, 2008.

1. doc

doc Member

Anybody have any details on the apparent change in Eminence's Red Fang? They apparently have increased the power handling from 30 to 50 watts. Is this a physical change in something in the speaker, a decision to relabel based on further testing of the same speaker that it could handle it, or what? If its a physical change I'd assume the sound would also have changed slightly. I'd been considering one for a 35 watt amp in a 1 X 12, and probably wouldn't feel safe with a 30 watt speaker.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I noticed this as well but dont know the answer. You think they could have stuck in a note about it on the site.

3. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

Didn't know that. This is the speaker in the Genz Benz Black Pearl, right? What does that mean exactly? Only that it can withstand more watts full out?
    More importantly to me, the impedance would remain the same, wouldn't it. Say yes and I'm happy. (I'm going to use another combo as a speaker cab only and this combo has two 16 ohm speakers meaning it has a total 8 ohm load which is the same as the Black Pearl. I'd have all three speakers going simultaneously. Been worried about actually doing this tho as i'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these things.)

4. doc

doc Member

Don't know if its in the Black Pearl, but the impedence shouldn't change. They still are available as 8 or 16 ohm.

5. Curly

Curly Member

would such a power increase make it a Molar, rather than a Fang? :)

I was considering trying one of these, but if this is true, I'd be LESS interested.

6. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I would bet the Fang has always been a 50 watt speaker, but now they are specing it as such since Celestion released the 50 watt Alnico Gold. Before 30 watts sounded better compared to the 15 watt Alnico Blue. Just my observation.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

An interesting thought.

8. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Didn't someone recently post about someone from Eminence saying they would not be afraid of putting 50 watts through that speaker? I think it's always been a 50 watter.

9. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

I was at Eminence booth at NAMM, in addition to the 12" Red Fang now rated 50W because old specs were "very conservative" they also had new 10" Red Fang with same power rating. It sounded very good, lots of meat on that bone. Perhaps a little bit lacking bottom wise on cleans (could be the box it was mounted in) but OD was just perfectly medium rare and succulent. I liked it a lot.

10. doc

doc Member

So, Alex, you're saying that it definitely is the same speaker physically, just relabeled with a higher wattage due to their assessment that the previous rating was too conservative?

11. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Doc, I'll be talking to guys at Eminence on Monday and will ask to make sure.
    Don't want to confuse anyone.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thats odd because Eminence's have allways been rated very Liberal. If it says 75 watts dont hook it to a 75 watt amp thats clean then dime it.

13. doc

doc Member

I may call them as well. Thanks for the input so far. A related question - I had been using a Celestion Blue with my TW clone through an attenuator and I'm looking for a similar sound at higher volume with the same amp through a Fang. My understanding is that the Fang holds together pretty well until its really pushed. What I'm hoping is that it just starts to compress well at about 35 watts but is not too mushy - I want some speaker distortion but not so much it loses too much articulation. Think this'll work out?

14. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I pushed 2 Fangs with a 50 watt 6L6 head, and the compression was too severe to come through a band mix. The highs came through, but not much else.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Alnicos definately comress when Pushed and I love it.:AOK

16. doc

doc Member

Talked to the Emi guy this morning and he confirms that its the same speaker with a revised wattage rating.

17. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

Arghhh I wanted one for my Hot Rod, but that is 40 watts. So I ended up buying a governor.

18. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Doc, thanks for making the call. I was too busy all day to make one myself.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanks as well. I was just very curious about it my:AOKself.