• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Red Hot Chili Peppers sell catalog

sleewell2

this i don't get but you gotta respect the hustle.

how long do you think it will take for them to make their money back??

Lobster

Sell it while these investment companies want to pay. You sure as heck ain't getting paid for streaming, cd sales, and who knows what kind of circus is coming with touring once restrictions are lifted.

There is going to be so much demand for shows that major acts are going to get paid as much as they did when they played at the local bars.

stratadp

this i don't get but you gotta respect the hustle.

how long do you think it will take for them to make their money back??
That's been the big question about every one of these purchases. How often and for how much are you going to be licensing these songs that the investment will pay off? The fund that bought the RHCP catalog has spent over a billion on song rights. Other companies have spent close to that also, with Dylan getting an estimated $300 mil. alone.

Maybe these funds are really looking at the long game. 50 years from now, maybe the only songs we hear in visual media are these songs and not new ones from new artists.

Chic-Pop

That's been the big question about every one of these purchases. How often and for how much are you going to be licensing these songs that the investment will pay off? The fund that bought the RHCP catalog has spent over a billion on song rights. Other companies have spent close to that also, with Dylan getting an estimated $300 mil. alone.

Maybe these funds are really looking at the long game. 50 years from now, maybe the only songs we hear in visual media are these songs and not new ones from new artists.
Or maybe they'll be trying to crack down even harder on how newer compilations incorporate "their" "owned" chord progressions and rhythm patterns to recoup some of investment by filing lawsuits...

It's amazing what catalogs of songs a drum set and guitars have produced from such a small number of notes in the musical scale...

stratadp

Music royalties are different than conventional investments. With music, past performance virtually guarantees future profitability. :)
I was reading the Hipgnosis site, and thats exactly what they are looking for. Past performance with big future probabilities.

" Pursuant to the Investment Advisory Agreement, the Investment Adviser is also responsible for the ongoing management of Songs acquired by the Company with a view to increasing royalty income and collection as well as developing strategies to maximise the earning potential of a Song through improved placement and usage, and regular supervision of portfolio administrators and royalty collection agents, subject to the oversight of the Directors. "

Also

" The Company’s Portfolio comprises Catalogues, and the Investment Adviser is seeking to continue to identify Catalogues, which include Songs with the following characteristics: proven hit Songs with a track record of success and cultural impact; culturally influential and therefore likely to be continuously played and/or covered by new recording artists; under-exploited and for which the Investment Adviser has identified potential synch or cover opportunities; and offering upside from improving the administration of collection of the royalty income and through negotiating competitive fees with the relevant portfolio administrator. "

So not just licensing the songs, but covers are mentioned in a few spots as well.

From the CEO-Founder

" “I’m not in the publishing business, I’m in the song-management business. There’s a paradigm that I’m a catalyst for changing, paradigms that have existed for decades and people think are OK and normal,” Mercuriadis says. “We only buy directly from songwriters because I’m looking to empower songwriters and the songwriter community. The three big recorded-music companies use their leverage of owning the song companies to ensure those companies don’t advocate for songwriters, and they push the economic improvement we’ve seen with streaming so they, not the artist, get the lion’s share of the money at the songwriter’s expense. If nothing else, we’re a catalyst for changing that.” "