Red Iron Amps T-Rex owners chime in!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blues junkie, May 25, 2008.

1. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

Well I have a long wait till my name gets called so I'll have to live vicariously through the guys that allready have a T-Rex. Well lets hear it how are you guys liking the amp? What type of tones are you getting out of it? Are you running guitar straight into the amp and if so how's that working? Also what cab/speaker are you using? GASSIN minds want to know:crazy

Thanks.
    Chuck.

2. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

3. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I'm waiting just like you. :)

- Chris

4. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

Me too, I'm 5th in line. I'm dyin'!

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

The T-Rex is a great amp. 'Wreckish in character/philosophy; I prefer it to the Express's I've heard. Cleans up beautifully. Very articulate, doesn't smear if you play very fast (you've got to be accurate though).
    Volume is just right, non-fatigueing - not a bedroom amp though.

It would've been my favourite at the NYCAmpshow but for both the "Bronx" and the "Klean/Mil Spec" - either of which would suit my cleaner style better.

Best, Pete.

6. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own probably the third one made. It is a 6CA7 power tube model. It is a loud amp. As soon as you turn the volume on, it is thick sounding. If you roll back your volume knob, the cleans are juicy and bloom into sweet feedback. It is never pristine clean, but sweet with a bit of hair on it. When turn the volume to 12:00, this is where the fun begins. We are talking thick juicy gain. Not like heavy metal or numetal, but think of a old tweed Fender with thick, warm sustain. Just about any note blooms into a even order harmonic. Chords are thick, but never mushy. The notes are still distinct. The amp is voiced so that it accentuates the low end more than an Express. I have experimented with cabs and configurations. I really like the way the amp sounds through a Port City OS 2x12 with Cannabis Rex Speakers. Even V30's sound good with it. A Red fang in a Port City OS 1x12 sounds pretty heavenly too. I also tried it with an EV12L in a Mesa Thiele I used to have and that sounded pretty awesome too. If you are into 4x12's a Germino Greenback loaded cab sounds phenomenal. With a Mills acoustic tech. 4x12 there is too much bass, even with the bass knob at minimum. Hope this helps.....

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

The way things are going I might have enough saved up by the time Paul gets
    to #100 :)