• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Red Iron T Rex...

gainfreak

My T-Rex arrived yesterday. It's everything I remember it being at the amp show and more. Gotta' love it when you can get controlled feedback out of an amp set clean. And the overdrive...well...it's in a class by itself.

I'll post up some pictures in the next few days, and will do up a bunch of clips in the next few weeks. And if anyone's interested in hearing it, let me know.

peace
-jeff
You da man!! congrats Jeff!!

Kborg

Gold Supporting Member
What are the lead times running from the time you order till your jammin?

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
well the Amp Show orders are just arriving, so that would mean 3 months.

Kborg

Gold Supporting Member
I see a Mill spec is for sale here in FL. Anyone tried one and have any thoughts as how they compare to the Bronx? This is the one I played at the Clearwater tonefest and I feel gas brewing!! It seems every amp I really get turned on by ends up reminding me of my Komet 60 :jo.

gregc

Silver Supporting Member
My T-Rex was delivered yesterday.

It's packaging was almost bomb-proof.
As soon as I opened the package, my house filled with the scent of Mesquite. Pretty cool~
I had a busy day & didn't get to plug-in till 11PM last night. I paired it with my greenback loaded Mojo 4x12 and plugged in a Suhr H,S,S Strat for a quick demo. I only dared cranking it for a half hour, and boy, was it fun! Single coils never sounded fatter; gobs of gain on tap. No pedal needed, even with single coils. The humbucker seriously wailed and almost surprisingly cleaned up nicely with the guitar volume and easing up on the picking force. It's plenty loud but not excessive for small to medium sized rooms. The guitar volume control and player picking dynamic control the amp in a BIG way. The clean tone is very nice and let's the character of the guitar and pickups show through; just don't expect Fender Twin LOUD n' clean. This is a Rock/heavy rock/hard blues machine. The gain comes on fast and in a linear fashon that makes dialing in the desired amount almost intuitive. The tone controls work. Plenty of nice, BIG bass on tap and easily dialed in or out. It never overpowered or muffled the 4x12. Plenty of top end but not harsh or piercing at all. Very nice swirl going on with the gain wound up. Impressive tone and feel.
I plan on trying some other guitars, hopefully tonight, ( LP/ P-90 Hamer/ Tele, various scale lengths), and a couple other cab/speaker combinations (Classic 80 pair in an Avatar open back cab & G12H30/Greenback loaded Matchless cab are on hand.)
This amp is certainly an original. I don't have anything else like it. It certainly fills a void in my musical toolbox. I'm looking forward to deeper exploration of it's personality and then trying it in a live band setting.
I'll report back as it happens.......

Last edited:

mrmuzikhead

I see a Mill spec is for sale here in FL. Anyone tried one and have any thoughts as how they compare to the Bronx? This is the one I played at the Clearwater tonefest and I feel gas brewing!! It seems every amp I really get turned on by ends up reminding me of my Komet 60 :jo.

I have a Mil Spec and TRex. the Mil Spec a very clean (and I mean clean) amp. It is a perfect platform for pedals. It has a very mild break up at around 3' o'clock. I think it's the antichrist to the T Rex. The Bronx is leaning more towards the T Rex in terms of gain but tuned with more emphasis on the bottom end. There are some great new clips of it on the Red Iron site. It sounds huge! Check them out.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
My T-Rex was delivered yesterday. It's packaging was almost bomb-proof.
As soon as I opened the package, my house filled with the scent of Mesquite. Pretty cool~
I had a busy day & didn't get to plug-in till 11PM last night. I hooked it to my greenback loaded Mojo 4x12 and used a Suhr H,S,S Strat for a quick demo. I only dared cranking it for a half hour, but boy, was it fun! Single coils never sounded fatter and there is plenty of gain on tap. No pedal needed, even with single coils. The humbucker seriously wailed but even that surprisingly cleaned up nicely with the guitar volume and easing up on the picking force. It's plenty loud but not excessive for small-medium sized rooms. The guitar volume control and player picking dynamic control the amp in a BIG way. The clean tone is very nice, much more than useable, but don't expect Fender Twin LOUD n' clean. The gain comes on fast but in a linear fashon that makes dialing in the desired amount almost intuitive. The tone controls work. Plenty of BIG bass on tap and easily dialed in or out. Plenty of top end but not harsh or piercing at all. Very nice swirl going on with the gain wound up. Impressive.
I plan on trying some other guitars ( LP/ P-90s/ Tele, various scale lengths), and a couple other cab/speaker combinations (Classic 80 pair in an Avatar open back cab & G12H30/Greenback loaded Matchless cab.)
This amp is certainly an original. I don't have anything else like it. It certainly fills a void in my amp harum. I'm looking forward to digging in deeper into it's personality and trying it in a live band setting.
I'll report back as it happens.......
Congrats, that review sounds exactly like what I hear. I run the volume all the way up for strats and at 3:00 for humbuckers. Bass is usually aroung 9-10 o'clock and treble is at 3:00. That seems to work great for all my guitars.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
I fired up my T-Rex today with a Port City 4x12 wave cab loaded with 2 Cannabis Rex's on top and 2 governors on the bottom and all I can say is WOW! I love this amp. It is so thick and juicy and yet not muddy. I can't wait to play this amp out live.......

Frankenstrat2

I'm hoping that you " Lucky " people with T-Rex and bronx amps will start posting clips
Luck had nothing to do with it. :D
Red Sonja is now in Tampa Bay with George Harris at Panda Studios. George promised to cut some clips that Paul can put up on his website. When I get her back, I'll do some slide clips as well.
She was a big hit at the Tampa ToneFest.
barry

Faustine Amps

The best attenuator I used on my T-REX is unfortunately not in production. It was a prototype built by Faustine Amps. Bug the heck out of Tim to make these! They suck the least tone of all that I've tried. It had a selector to switch between resistive and inductive type of attenuation.
Thanks for the kudos. Several people have "bugged the heck out of me" and I do intend to produce these. Unfortunately, I have to either reduce the amount of features (which I would prefer not to do) or figure out some other way to produce them at a more reasonable cost. Otherwise, they will only be affordable to the "elite" players among us.

I'm working on it!

Regards,
Tim Gregoire

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
BTW, I thought I would revive this thread for a good reason IMO. I Installed a new Jensen Jet speaker in my PCW OS1x12 and ran my T-Rex through it. Finally!!!!! The right speaker for this amp. I am so happy with the tone and the volume. I can now use this amp for practicing and gigging without blowing people away with volume. Thank You Paul for the reco.....

GAT

BTW, I thought I would revive this thread for a good reason IMO. I Installed a new Jensen Jet speaker in my PCW OS1x12 and ran my T-Rex through it. Finally!!!!! The right speaker for this amp. I am so happy with the tone and the volume. I can now use this amp for practicing and gigging without blowing people away with volume. Thank You Paul for the reco.....
What did you have in it before?

What is the difference in tone with the Jet?

Which Jet is it, Tornado or Blackbird?

Last edited:

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
What did you have in it before?

What is the difference in tone with the Jet?

Which Jet is it, Tornado or Blackbird?
I had a MESA labeled Celestion 90, before that a Cannabis Rex that I blew out with my Express clone. I have the Alnico Blackbird in there now and it is the perfect compliment for the T-Rex.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
With the Jet, the tone sounds like this:

OD sounds perfect, not too fuzzy, not too harsh. With the Celestion, it sounded to thick in the lower mids. With the Jet, the lower mid hump is gone and the amp sounds more even. With the Jet, the bloom turns into "sweet" feedback vs. uncontrollable feedback with the Cannabis or Celestion. The compression on the Jet is perfect, not too squishy, just right.... The highs are perfect....

Trending Topics