* Red Jones Amplification RJ 1530 Combo * William Yates Build

sgt_steiner

My good buddy William Yates (formerly of The Outlaws) is up and running on his new amp, the RJ 1530 Combo. Take a look at the showcase video which just hit the Net today. Ridiculous tone! Billy says his favorite amp of all-time is the 1962 Brown-faced Fender Deluxe and there's a nice helping of that in this baby, but it's not all she does. Take a look --

Here are the 2014 Specs for what he's doing --

Class AB 1 Amplifier
15 or 30 Watts
Cathode Biased
Passive tone control
Tube Rectifier (5AR4/GZ34)
Power Section: (2) 6V6 or EL34/6CA7
Preamp: 12AX7/ECC83
8 Ohm output auto impedance select.
Removable grill uses Super Magnets for superior access and convenience.
Stock speaker -- Alnico Gold. (Choice of many others.)
Power Level is adjustable simply by installing 6V6 tubes for 15w or EL34/6CA7s for 30w.

Billy's building me a custom order as we speak, with a built-in VVR to help get all that swampy goodness down at something close to bedroom volume. Delivery date should be last week in February -- just in time for my birthday.

Anyway I'll be posting a video/pic diary here as my RJ Combo progresses so any old-school GearPager tone-freaks out there can follow along if they feel the urge.

Can't say enough about this amp, guys. It's like tasting your very favorite flavor of ice cream all over again... for the very first time :)

Last edited:

AmpMan1961

Thank you very much. It's exciting to see how people gauge and react to what they see and hear. The subsequent videos to follow will reveal much more about what we do. Hopefully, you all will like it.
Billy Yates

sgt_steiner

Heading over to the Red Jones shop to get some updated pics of the RJ Combo build. Will report back sometime Saturday!

sgt_steiner

Great Saturday at the Red Jones braincenter with Billy Yates. He began the chassis build right before my eyes! For a gear head like me, this was great fun. Should be a video explaining how he does what he does when building and why up pretty soon...

All transformers are Mercury Magnetics, specially built to Billy's specs --

Punchin' the holes in the custom designed chassis --

End of the day, Billy discussing a good friend's Dumble Special Overdrive Combo (late '70's/Suede Covered) and what lessons he learned from the Dumbles that helped him when beginning to design Red Jones --

sgt_steiner

Lead dress finished, Billy brought her to life yesterday with some outstanding results. The second video really shows off the versatility of the Red Jones VVR Power Scaling. Sick vintage gain at legit bedroom volume for middle-aged rockers like myself :)

sgt_steiner

Red Jones RJ1530 Combo w/VVR #3 is now finished! Here's the first couple pics with more pics/videos and sound clips to follow! GOOD LORD! This thing is AMAZING!

Billy and Todd (who hand-selects all the woods and custom builds the cab) having a "Mad Scientist" moment as they unveil their creation :)

Artifact

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone else try these amps? I've heard / seen nothing new over the past year, just curious as to whether they have done well or been lost in all the competition that is out there these days.