Red Llama Smalls

Destroyer

How is everyone stacking the Rhino and Llama for the camel toe setup? Rhino into the Llama, or after it?

daizee

I just sold my Fat Sandwich because I couldn't get enough isolated (and easy-access) control over the Llama end of the circuit... Hmm. Don't need any more drives, but do want to try this one.

thekeefus

Silver Supporting Member
I love the Red Llama and have regretted selling my mkII. It was too big and they used to be easy to get….until they weren’t. So grabbed on of these from Sweetwater. It arrived today and is much more like the mkII I remember. I never played a stand alone 25th anniversary edition but I did have the Camel Toe reissue and didn’t like that version of the Llama at all. Sounded different and (at least mine) was one of the noisiest drives I’ve ever owned. This one is quiet and feels more like the one I used to have.

I have Green Rhino mkV also so now I have a Camel Toe for like 1/3 the space.

PhxdB

Red Llama sounds great boosted!

You can boost them with other pedals than a Green Rhino, too! They all sound good going into a Red Llama!

Chrosa

I'm pretty sure every Way Huge pedal is a masterpiece and the Red Llama is probably no exception. (Haven't tried yet, but the Swollen Pickle, Russian Pickle, Havalina, Green Rhino, and Aqua Puss were all amazing to my ears)

Slo Lerner

For those unfamiliar, what’s this based on?

I assume the Green Rhino is a TS?
I think it’s based on a fairly early pedal called the Tube Sound Fuzz. I’ve built a clone of it and it’s a very easy build. I forget the name of the chip but it’s probably got fewer components than a ts. Fun pedal, fairly good range of sound in that thing. I’ve been wanting a real RL for quite awhile, may have to get one of these

254 stringer

The smalls is every bit as good as the MkII may even sound a slight bit better. I don’t know how much of it was listening with my eyes but it seemed like sometimes it was spot on and sometimes there was a slight difference.
56AEC2D2-2394-49F2-9D53-2F80356316E9.jpeg

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
got the new llama - sounds like a red llama. nice boost! a rare keeper for me these days

Edit - couple weeks later …. Sad to say i returned it. It just isnt my thing anymore. When i first started playing the RL was “my” sound but people change…

Last edited:

SgtYork

Silver Supporting Member
Only "llama" that remains in my arsenal (after having sold off my OG years ago and my 25th Anniv.) is the Chicago Stompworks Legitimate Beef. If the new Smalls is as good as you guys are saying, I think I need a Legitimate Llama shootout.

philamag87

Platinum Supporting Member
In the Dunlop demo, it sounds like the MKIII might have a more midrange compared to the videos (and hazy recollection) of the MKII. Interested to hear how it sounds in other demos.

daizee

I'm waiting for some RL Smalls demos NOT from Dunlop (I DO like their vids), and NOT using a dang Vox amp. Someone please play one through a clean Fenderish solid-state amp for me. :)

skyline

I had a full sized RL a couple of years ago on account of it doing the saggy-tweedy Neil Y. thing, but it did not get on well with my JC amp.
Perhaps Llama's are cork sniffers and only enjoy pushing tubes?

Mind you, my Joyo American Sound turns out to be best mates with the JC. Funny that.

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said I was not still GASsing for this new mini-llama. It looks like a Ferrari in pedal format.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom