Red Panda Context vs. WET vs. ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, Mar 3, 2015.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

So I have a Hardwire RV-7 that I like, but I'm thinking about getting either the Context or WET for my ambient*** reverbs.. are there any others I should be considering?

Edit: the OP had modulated instead of ambient.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Eventide Space, Strymon Bigsky.

3. buzzp

buzzp Member

Are those two worth the extra money? I plan on having a dedicated spring pedal

4. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Supermoon / Eterna for sure

5. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Well, you say that you are looking for a modulated reverb, but neither the Context nor the Wet really have modulation...I'd definitely take a look at the Mr. Black Supermoon. The RV-5 that you have has some really sweet modulation though, and it has buffered bypass, which is a plus with reverbs and delays, whereas the SM does not.

FWIW, the Context and the Wet are two of my top 3 reverbs (the Mad Professor Silver Spring being #1). If you're anything like me, you wouldn't mind getting all your modulation from another source. I really like running a slow, shallow vibrato at the front of the chain and just a straight reverb. Much preferred to an actual modulated 'verb. If that's what you wanna do, I'd lean toward the Context for the tweak factor alone. And honestly (I might get shot for saying this), it sounds WAY better than anything Strymon has to offer outside of the Flint.

6. jw112

jw112 Member

I have the context and wet. Both are great. But for mod reverb I have trinity t2 which I also love

7. buzzp

buzzp Member

Sorry- I should say ambient verbs, not strictly modulated.

8. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Ah! I see. For that purpose, I'd go with the Wet hands down. Actually....no. The Neunaber Seraphim would get you a little further.

9. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Lots of great options for ambient verbs out there. I have a seraphim and context, as well as the hardwire supernatural. they all do different things well. The seraphim is my favorite shimmer, and has the option to just do the 'wet' sound without the shimmer, which is great for 'always-on, not geting in the way, but sounds great' sort of reverb. The context is great for slightly more realistic spaces (room, hall, cathedral), but I use the plate setting most of the time - it's fantastic for just luscious rich tails. The supernatural has more 'out-there' algorithms, which is great for ambient stuff, but honestly, I use the spring and plate modes the most, which are probably somewhat similar to the RV-7. The Polara also looks interesting, but I haven't tried it.

10. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

For ambient, my money would go to the H9. There are so many good sounds for ambient there; things that are like reverb, but with a different texture, like Ultratap. I have a Neunaber pedal w/ ExP as well, and it's great, but if I had to pick one: H9, for sure.

11. buzzp

buzzp Member

Funny you say that- just started looking at an H9 for other reasons. Can you use multiple effects at once with the h9? Like can I have the reverb on at all times and then add something else off and on?

12. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Not exactly. It's one algorithm at a time, but there are several algorithms that have multiple things in them. (e.g. some of the pitch shifters have delay built in; there's a spring verb/trem; there's ModEchoVerb with modulation, echo, and reverb; etc.) You'd have to use an expression pedal, an external performance switch, or MIDI to turn things on and off within an algorithm.

For ambient use, things like the Ultratap algorithm offer flavors of reverb-like sound with a different texture. The Band Delay algorithm can give you great filtered washes of delay. There are a lot of algorithms that lend themselves to ambient sound. (It's good for straight ahead uses, as well.)