Red Plate tube FX loop buffer!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soniq7, Aug 2, 2008.

1. soniq7

soniq7 Member

Red Plate D'Lator (RPD) from http://redplateamps.com/

These are built in batches. I think he needs 6 commitments before anything happens. As it seems, I was number 6. After a brief email exchange, I put in the order. Cost was $312, date was 7/19/08.

It arrives in perfect working order yesterday 8/1/08. Contains hand wired eyelet boards, lots of big caps, two transformers, and a EH 12AX7. Craftsmanship is good and the unit looks bulletproof.

If youre wondering why they all look different, its because you can customize the face plate with script, font, knobs and graphics of your choice. RPA was very prompt and helpful, and even provide a template for convienience.

Picture: The latest batch, mine is second from the top.

Soniq7

[​IMG]

2. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Mine is 3rd down. Works great (I suggested the chickenhead knobs ;-)). I'm looking for a Carr 6V (has a passive loop). It should work great with that. In the mean time, believe it or not I'm using it with a solid state Red Knob Fender Princeton Chorus from the early 90's (best solid state non DSP amp Fender ever made). The tube in the Fx loop warms it up nicely. Between that and my Barber Small Fry, that rig sounds passably tube-like.

Maybe H2 will chime in here: did the original Dumbleators use two tubes?

3. heisthl

heisthl Member

There is a stereo version that used 2 tubes, all the other ones are single tube units. Many real ones have an additional knob that can attenuate the signal entering the return jack, really not needed if your effect unit has an output level.

4. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Guess which one is mine? I bought it to go with an amp that's yet to come, so all I can say for now is that heisthl has been great to deal with.

5. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

I'm going to try it as a buffer in front of the amp just for fun.

Q for H2 -- Is it possible to get gain from the unit itself (i.e. the tube in the unit can be overdriven) or is the gain only derived by hitting your preamp/power amp with a hot signal from the unit?

6. heisthl

heisthl Member

The send side is a cathode follower(current amplifier) and the return side is a standard gain stage(voltage amplifier). You will get some overdrive (gain) turning either all the way up but the return side goes a lot further towards distortion.

7. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

8. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Loving mine more each day. I like how it cuts out a bit of the highs (easily recovered by the two bright switches). It makes the tone very round and smooth. When I kick on the OD pedal it really makes the whole rig sound 3D.

9. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

is this for amps with no effects loop?

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Not exactly.

It's an external tube buffered fx loop for amps that only have a pre amp out and power amp in,or a passive loop instead of a proper tube buffered effects loop. It can be used as an fx loop if you can mod your non fx loop amp so that it has a pre amp out and power amp in, which is (usually) an easier mod to do than to mod the amp by actually adding the fx loop to the amp.

It's an external fx loop - but you have to have a pre amp out and power amp in to be able to use it.

Heisthl - did I get that right?

Thanks, Dana O.

11. soniq7

soniq7 Member

+1 :banana

12. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Ive realised the limitations in the FX loop of my Prosonic. This looks like a great unit. Are there any other, similar units that cost less? I could also have the loop modded by egnater to have adjustable send/return pots, although that might be as much as this unit...

13. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Google "Kleinulator"; same concept, lower priced, but solid-state instead of tubes. There are some killer clips on YouTube featuring jzucker's playing.

I know that Ceriatone is actually building Kleinulators these days (in agreement with M. Klein).

14. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

This is probably the most affordable tube buffered unit on the market. Bludo tone makes one in ~$700 range. Two Rock just came out with one that is $2500.

$300 is a good deal.

15. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Your right, has anyone tried it with a Prosonic? I know its a long shot....

16. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Just getting comfortable with mine and figuring out the best uses for this bad boy. So far best through the Sterling Sig with a Carbon Copy looped through. Then taking the Carbon Copy out of the loop provides a great, very quiet gain stage on top of the Sterling's monster headroom. Really great little box, I think he is doing another run in December - highly recommended and great bang for the buck. And you can't beat the customization!

[​IMG]

17. Roodillon

Roodillon Member

I got a new Red Plate Loop D'Lator on eBay recently. I was not looking for one, in fact I don't recall hearing of one before that, but I was curious so I checked out the auction and it looked like something that I would like so I placed a bid and won it for $71. The guy did not know what it was, he said that he got it in an auction for a larger lot of items. That doesn't explain how I won it for $71, but I am not complaining! I have not really put it through its paces yet. I don't know which one on the Red Plate page mine is, but it looks just like the second one down, the one under the one that says Laz Cabanas.

What do you all use yours for? I am planning on inserting it between a separate preamp and amplifier to make a nice buffered effects loop after the pre. My pre and amp vary, right now it's a Matchless Hot Box as the pre and the amp is a Bearpaw Growler. I usually run them into the speaker of my Blues Junior. The Growler puts out app. 0.5w to 1.5w, depending on what tubes are in it. I also have a VHT Valvulator I that I use as a line driver before any pre-preamp effects, so it is nice to be able to add a tube buffered effects loop to the mix. I also recently purchased a vintage Dynacord Echocord, and when that arrives I plan to try it out as the preamp. The Dynacord is not actually a preamp by design although it works extremely well as one. By design it is a tube driven (60's Telefunken no less) tape delay as well as tube reverb.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  18. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I use mine in the FX loop of my Two-Rocks that don't have a tube driven FX loop. I will typically run a Carbon Copy in the loop of the D'Lator and have that driven through the amp in the FX loop stage. However, I also use it in the FX loop of those Two-Rocks that DO already have a buffered FX loop and the effect of the D'Lator is just as good in smoothing out the gain and giving it some extra punch up front as necessary. Also use it as the last box out from my pedal board to the amps to drive a long signal chain and act as a line buffer.

That is a crazy deal on your D'Lator, great purchase!!

19. hippdogs

hippdogs Member

Hey, if any of you guys would like to sell your REDPLATE D'lator FX loop box, I could really use one. Any help would be appreciated. I'm kind of looking for a REDPLATE product first. Anyone have experience with the Fuchs FX loop, not the reverb version? thanks

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011