1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Red Plate? Two-Rock? Or Dr. Z?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Theorywolf, May 23, 2011.

1. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I am not the greatest expert on Amps, but I'm trying to find alternatives to heavy dependence on pedals. I am into the SRV type tones, for the most part, and I am trying to decide between a Red Plate Blues Machine, or a Two-Rock, or maybe a Dr. Z amp. What would or is your choice?

Thanks,

Mike

2. pvlcassic30

pvlcassic30 Member

Also not a know it all when it comes to amps, but out of all the amps ive heard demos for, Two Rock have been my favorite. Lots of good Dr. Z, but I think of that Brad Paisley tone when i think of them. But think SRV/Mayer....its two rock for me. Wish I could afford one. Id probably get the Mayer Sig...

3. balde

balde Member

If you want SRV and john mayer tones, the Drz Ezg50 it´s great. I believe you can´t go wrong with a two rock also... specially for mayer tones

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

ok, i have told this b4, i can get srv tones out of my magic dust, also the jm tones of that song i can't even mention anymore

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

You probably can afford one. The Mayer is pricey, but their new Studio Pro's and Gainmaster's are killer amps with a few less bells and whistles for reasonable prices. I'm loving my 6L6, 35w Studio Pro....All that great TR tone with everything I need, nothing I don't.

6. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Two-Rock Studio Pro 35 will get you there without breaking the bank. Here's a clip from You Tube that is relatively SRV approved. The guy starts playing around 2:23 so just fast forward the video to there. He's using the standard Two-Rock 2 x 12 for the clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkXuhwC5KwA&NR=1

:)

7. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

If you want SRV tone, all you need is a Strat with Texas Specials, a loud BF-style Fender amp (Vibroverb?), a Tube Screamer, and a silly hat. But seriously... please. Don't be that guy. And if you must, and you really like the TR, I third or fourth the Studio Pro suggestion. It's a great amp.

8. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

The new Two Rocks are a bargain... Especially if you can find one used!

9. nospickups

nospickups Silver Supporting Member

If you want ripping, ballbusting, bigger than texas screaming john mayer tone than the two rock has to be it. :sarcasm Although if you want to cop some polite SRV clean and lead I can rock those in spades with my redplate. I just got a new redplate blackverb (my second redplate) and get SRV all day long with with the clean and od with the marshall shift on the od. To be honest I think any good fender blackface big bottle will do the trick with a good tube screamer.

10. big mike

big mike House Plexi Staff Member

Big loud and clean.
    That tone is really not that elusive.

Any you mention will do it.
    How much do you want to spend and how long so you want to wait.
    I'd probably go with the z myself.

11. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Redplate Magic Dust = NO Pedals needed......

12. balde

balde Member

13. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

IMO the first two amp brands you mentioned are very different from the latter. The RP is Dumble inspired, just like TR. The Z amps are the good Dr's interpretation of Vox, Fender, and Marshall, more old school.

That said, you can get SRV tones out of any of them, provided your chops and technique lend themselves to that tone. The biggest difference for me is "feel". "D" style amps are softer and saggier feeling, but still let all the nuances of your playing come through. Zs are more immediate feeling, with a possible exception of the Maz-Jr (which I love BTW). If you want old school (more traditional), go Dr. Z. If you want the glorious circuits brought to us by the reclusive Mr. D, go with one of the others.

14. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Member

Wow. Hard to go wrong with those three.

Do you live somewhere you can try some of them out? Best bet there. And I second the old Fender as an alternative. It is what SRV used.

15. beerlover

beerlover Member

Red Plate for sure... call Henry you will be glad you did!

16. amc

amc Member

i have amps by all three mentioned builders.

all make excellent products.
    you cannot go wrong with any of the products these amp-makers design and build

with that said, imho, the two rock amplifiers are in a different league altogether..........................

17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

beerlover + budlite

Those two names, they can't be wrong. LOL :D

18. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

19. zappateer1

zappateer1 Member

20. ianb

ianb Member

Hey, zappateer, good choice bro, hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Did you go for a head+cab or the combo?