Red Plate Vs. Carol Ann

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rshull07, Feb 4, 2012.

1. rshull07

rshull07 Member

So I rode down to Atlanta Boutique Guitar today and they sat me down in front of a few amps that blew my mind! I posted a thread about this today but basically Im looking for a versatile higher wattage, multi channel amp as my main gigging workhorse. Im playing blues/rock and original john mayer/coldplay/kings of leon styles. Today I played a Red Plate Magic Dust Duo a Blackverb 88 and a Carol Ann Triptik. I loved all three, but Im looking for a few opinions of these amps and if anybody owns one, hows it working out?

2. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

All three amps are amazing, but I will not be ashamed of my bias. Get the Triptik. It sounds like it would work perfectly for what you need. Three amazing, no compromise channels. What more would you need?

3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

What are the prices?

4. rick13

rick13 Member

I would go to the CarolAnn website. I believe he has some new pricing, and some new models as well.
    Rick

5. rshull07

rshull07 Member

The Pricing if I am remembering correctly (I was just down there test driving a few Im not quite ready to drop that cash yet.) The Carol Ann was the most expensive of the 3 at about $3,300 sticker. and the red plate was $2,900 roughly. For my money the Carol ann sounded fantastic, but not a few hundred dollars more than the Red Plate.

6. rick13

rick13 Member

You need to look at the site again. The Triptik comes in a 50,100 and smaller "R" version. The "R" comes it at around $2,800
    Did you try any other CarolAnn models?
    Rick

7. rshull07

rshull07 Member

No I just tried the triptik, both the magic dust and the triptik sounded fantastic

8. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

How Marshally sounding is the Carol Ann? I've heard one clip of the amp, and read where Carol Ann's are like a Marshall with a dumble flavour so that it's still got clarity when distorted. I've been looking at this and a PWE Event Horizon plus a few other Marshall inspired channel switchers.

Not sure how you would describe the drives on Red Plates? What's your impression/description after playing it?

The RP Black and British looks interesting to me. Too new to find any clips though.

9. rick13

rick13 Member

There are clips of the Triptik on Youtube and the CarolAnn website.
    Clean to mean.
    Rick

10. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

Hi Rick. Yeah I have listened to the clips, but you know how you tube compresses the hell out of the sound. I am asking you if you've heard one in person to comment on how "Marshally" sounding they are, or whether they are Alan's take on how a Marshall should sound.

Thanks

11. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I think between Redplate and Carol Ann, you're choosing between aces.

Henry sent me MDD loaner a couple years ago and, IIRC, I had it about 7-10 days. I also had a newborn daughter at the time and things were hectic so, I only had limited time to spend with it.

That said, I thought the MDD was fantastic but, got loud quickly at 100W. Very touch sensitive and, at that volume, you better have your **** together on the fretboard. I liked the versatility of the gain stages- thick and dynamic. I am used to the typical TMB EQ controls on the clean channel (which I like) and, the MDD uses a 6-way rotary knob for different pre-determined settings. Cool concept but, maybe not for everyone. I don't recall trying the 18W setting. I wish I had a few weeks or, even months to tinker with it.

My Carol Ann is a 100W 6L6 model. While it can get loud if needed, it's a very usable loud. It's not overbearing at band levels. The Master Volume is the best in the biz IMO. The cleans are gorgeous and full. The overdrive channel has alot of range plus the additional gain stage on the footswitch well for lead boosts or, heavier rhythms (thank God for spell check). Fantastic amp. Never played the Triptik although the clips I've heard sound great.

Overall, I think it's a win-win situation. Both build qualities are superb by two great modern day builders. Both can be biased without removing the chassis (Nice). Customer service is top tier also.

All that said, I'm looking into getting a Redplate (not a loaner) in the near future and, will be looking at the Cosmic Dust (MDD's little brother?), the Blues Machine or, the Black and Blues (has TMB controls, but only 1 OD stage).

12. rick13

rick13 Member

The amp in the clips belongs to me, but the clips were done by BB. Yes the amp can do Marshall.....and much more. I think you can actually hear some of the overtones and harmonics in the clips. Surprising string separation for an amp that is capable of producing tons of gain. What's that classic Marshall sound?We could go on for days. I can tell you that this amp was not conceived by Alan as a Marshall based offering, but is a completely different design. You should hear the clean channel.
    Rick

13. Yossi

Yossi Member

I'll say a few words about the RedPlate amps that I own although I've never played a Carol Ann to be able to compare the two.

In a live setting both my Magic Dust duo and BlackLoop combo amps cut through the mix with an A++ rating. I've taken both out to an open mic and have had the opportunity to not only play them myself, but to also hear others play them.
    Very rich, fat and sweet. whether used for rhythm or lead, the sound stands out on the plate as if it's the main course. The amp is amazingly versatile.
    A definite killer amp.
    MagicDust http://redplateamps.com/MagicDust.php

BlackLoop is the biggest sounding small in size 1x12 combo that I've ever seen. It's a breeze to carry (35lbs) and has an amazing clean and one OD channel. It goes from Twin to Super Reverb to Dumble. What an amazing amp too!
    BlackLoop:http://redplateamps.com/BlackLoop.php

The feel of both amps can't be overstated.
    And last but not least, Henry H. is a class act!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

That second clip sounds gorgeous. That clean is the tone in my head... I think I might need to give up the guitar modeling dream and get back to tubes because that is just beautiful.

15. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

16. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

after all the interaction I've had with Alan, and I don't even own a CA, I can't imagine how amazing his customer service is for someone that actually has one.

The only amp I lust for that I can't build myself....Carol Ann..

Never played/interacted with Redplate.

17. Yossi

Yossi Member

No doubt about that assessment. The sound is fantastic.

Here's some more:

18. trucks

trucks Member

My experience with RedPlate/Henry was fantastic. I can't imagine better customer service. Henry even added features to my amp during the build at no additional cost. These were things he thought of, not requests of mine. Communication was fast and frequent with Henry initiating the majority of it. All this and a finished custom build in about a month.

My suggestion is to discuss what you want with Henry before making a decision.

19. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

i had the same experience with henry. super nice guy and really helpful in terms of explaining the different models and really narrowing down your choice of amp that would work for your particular situation. definitely give him a call

20. rshull07

rshull07 Member

this is why I love this forum. Thanks for the tips guys!