• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Red Rocket! Artist Series Review & Demo

GEN DAWG

Silver Supporting Member
SCROLL DOWN FOR PICS

Well, Matt Nowicki at Red Rocket keeps raising the bar for himself. This week I had the privilege of demoing his latest creation -- which he is calling part of his "Artist Series." This one is Tele-shaped with a wicked flame / burst top. The body is chambered black limba and the neck is solid koa with a Braz board. It's loaded with a single TV Jones Powertron Plus, which can be split by pulling the tone knob. The guitar weighs in at just over 6 pounds -- it feels like nothing on your shoulder. Neck has oil finish and the frets are stainless, so it plays slick as owl . . . um . . . spit.

Anyway, I picked it up and was immediately struck by how loud it is unplugged. The chambering and the wrap-tail bridge allow this thing to ring indefinitely. It has a zingy top end and seems to have built-in reverb. Particularly with the pickup split (it goes to parallel when split), it is super Gretschy and chimey when plugged in. With the pickup in series, it is fat and punchy; it screams "play ZZ Top, dammit!" As you can hear on the demo, I obeyed. The fretwork is excellent---I'm getting to be a real fan of stainless frets---and action is comfortably low, but still accomodates bends. The neck feels smooth and has a comfy light V-shape that morphs into a C. I really, really dig it. Here's how it looks and sounds through a Goodsell GC-12T; gorgeous on both counts.

Last edited:
I've decided to start building a series of really special ones, every couple months, i'm going to make something just for the fun of it and bringing it under the "Artist" series to make it distinct from my regular offerings. Whether it's some off-the-charts wood I've been saving for a special occasion or a new shape or spec that's been percolating in the back of my mind, this series will be reserved for those guitars I want to build just because they're too cool and fun not to.
They won't be constrained to any one shape or style, just unique, one-off total custom creations that push my buttons.

This little stripped-down beauty is all about simplicity. Beautiful wood, classic lines, and stunning tone, what else do you need?

Specs are:
Chambered Black Limba body, Prime Flame Maple top
Quartersawn Koa neck with a BRW fingerboard
SS med jumbo frets
TonePros vintage style Wraptail bridge
TV Jones Powertron Plus pickup with series/parallel switching
Hipshot, CRT, Swithcraft, paper in oil tone caps, etc
Insane Vintage style 'Burst over that "11" top
Custom G&G form fit case
6.1 Lbs fully loaded!!

Looks beautiful and sounds incredible, sweet clarity or thick growl, this one can do it all. Thanks so much for the great playing GenDawg!!

Tone Disciple

Gold Supporting Member
Nice demo Gen Dawg and a great idea for some intereting pieces Matt. I have always liked the look and sound of your guitars.

RV52

That is a fine demo, but

:worthless

... and yes, I've already seen the pics on the website.

Will ya, please.

GEN DAWG

Silver Supporting Member
That is a fine demo, but

:worthless

... and yes, I've already seen the pics on the website.

Will ya, please.
Well, that's pretty much the pics I have. But I'll try to post some a little later this evening.

Let me see if I can help this situation out a little bit.

And if anyone is interested, this little beauty will shortly be gracing the new Mountain Cat showroom in Chelsea in heart of NYC.

Here you go

RV52

Thank you for the fantastic pics, Matt. :drool
That is an awesome guitar! Looks as good as it sounds.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom