Red Snapper is dying. . .where can I get it fixed?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ZepFuzz05, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

It looks like the Menatone Red Snapper (old style 4-knob version with battery compartment) I recently received in a trade is flaking out on me - the signal cuts out and I think the switch might be going dead. Has anybody else been in a similar situation? If so, what's the best way to get it fixed? Can I send it to Menatone?

2. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

There's been reports that he just provides a list of dealers.

4. King Rat

King Rat Member

goodluck, you'll need it...

i sent a pedal to get repaired.. it was not only gone for 4 months...
    I got an apology email saying all my follow up emails had gone to his spam filter and he was sorry he was really busy and it took him a while to get around to it..

only to get another conttradicting email out of nowhere, abusing me saying he had been finished with the repair for months and I was the one not replying to him????? and to check my own spam filter??

5. alguit

alguit Member

...I needed my Kar Krash checked out-Brian gave me an address, charged me just enough to cover shipping and a small repair fee, and all has been good...

6. ZepFuzz05

I've actually been really pleasantly surprised. He not only accepted and repaired the pedal himself, but he's been extremely responsive to every message I've sent him. It's been exactly one week since I sent it out and he's just about to put it in the mail back to me. . .and I live at the opposite end of the country.

7. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Great guy - good experiences here

8. King Rat

King Rat Member

That was just one bad experience. He still makes some of the best pedals in the game!

I just bought another! That's 5 now :)

9. ZepFuzz05

Sadly, I spoke too soon in my previous post and it looks like my situation is going to mirror this one. It's been three months (and numerous assurances, followed by apologies) since I sent him the pedal and have yet to receive it - or, at this point, even any response from him. He was extremely communicative early on, but it seems like, as time passes, I can't get any sort of reply from Brian. He did mention family issues at one point, to which I was very understanding but still asked, if possible, for him to give me a general sense of when he might be able to work on the pedal in the near future. However, after that point it seems as if he's been MIA.

On one hand, I feel bad if he's going through significant health or family issues. But, on the other hand, I'd like to get a general sense of the timeframe involved and if it's going to be an unusually long wait, I'd appreciate some sort of notification. There is also a small part of me that's skeptical, largely due to the number of builders that have been mentioned on this forum using family or health issues as a false cover for inappropriately long wait periods or incomplete work. I hate to indulge that sort of cynicism, but the thought has crossed my mind.

I'm not hoping to bring any negativity toward Brian since he obviously makes phenomenal pedals and is deeply devoted to his work, but I'd just like to share my experience and see if this has been a common occurrence for people other than myself and King Rat.

10. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Hate to say it, but I've given up on almost all the boutique pedal builders when it comes to after sales support, or repair work on used pedals. Even some of the high and mighty guys have let me down.

Find a good local tech, or better yet, learn how to diagnose and repair the common stuff like jacks, footswitches, opamps, blown components from using the wrong power, etc...

Hope it works out for you.

11. alguit

alguit Member

I have a followup too, and all has NOT been good...

4 months, and no response on my Kar Krash, and I've tried to contact him.

I have an older KOTB that I love, and there's an older TBIAC I'd like to pick up, but now I'm concerned about having to ever have him do any repair work on them...

-Alan

12. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

This really sucks to hear, man.

I'm waiting 7 weeks now (and counting) on an order that was supposed to take 2. Communication hasn't been clear... kind of an all around bummer.

13. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I think Brian makes some killer sounding pedals, but dealing with him on getting a pedal fixed was the worst experience I've ever had with a builder... he was so rude to me the first time I managed catch him on the phone (after multiple unanswered email & phone message inquiries), that I seriously considered just pitching the pedal into the trash. The Howie that I sent to him was one of my all time favorite pedals, but trying to get him to repair it (and then send it back to me) was an exercise in frustration. When I finally did get it back, I plugged it in just to make sure it was fixed, and sold it at a substantial loss in the emporium that same night, just to be done with it.

I recently sent an old Kendrick Buffalo Pfuz to Keith @ Machine Head Pedals (TGPer DirtBoxMan) for some repairs, and he he did a great job... communication, workmanship, and turnaround time were excellent:

http://machineheadpedals.com/contact.html

14. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Sorry, man. I get the gist of what you're saying & generally agree. But, it's a a cop-out.

Communication... that's all that's needed. If you fail to set realistic timelines, be honest when customers chase you down after waiting a very liberal time span before even bothering to contact you about the delay. I'm in no hurry at all. It would be cool if I got a semi clear "it will be 4- 6 more weeks, sorry" reply instead of "it's going out in a day or 2" then no further updates again 2 weeks later....

Not trashing anyone, just empathizing with others in the same boat while confirming they're not alone... which there's no shame in doing.

15. ZepFuzz05

The pedal arrived in the mail 2 days ago, and I'm very appreciate of both Brian's work and the discussion that's taken place in the thread since my question last week.

And, as far as tone1449's commentary - as I mentioned before, I wasn't trying to bring any negative sentiment toward Brian or his work. By all appearances, like I said previously, he makes brilliant pedals and cares deeply about his work. I was simply unsure as to whether this was a typical or problematic situation and was hoping to get some input from other people who may have had similar experiences.

Furthermore, I also hope I didn't show any signs of "narcissism", "crazy materialism", and "addiciton" in my post. At the time the Red Snapper stopped working it was my only overdrive pedal, and when I spoke to Brian (who was, again, extremely responsive and communicative initially), he gave me the impression that the repair would not take long. I assumed a few weeks would be suitable for the basic repair and return shipping, and when he told me that he'd have it in the mail to me about 2 weeks later, it seemed totally natural and I was extremely appreciative. When the 3 month mark passed, I was reasonably concerned that something may not be right, which was further enhanced by a lack of response from Brian. . .that's when I submitted my response to this thread to see if this situation was typical or merited that concern.

All in all, I absolutely agree that there can be an undercurrent of indulgence and impatience running throughout TGP at times, and I sincerely hope my post wasn't an example of that. I was simply hoping to get some input on the aforementioned situation and hopefully steer it toward some sort of resolution or understanding.

16. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I don't understand this post at all. The people in this thread posted actual examples, with specifics, about problems they had with Brian. Three to four month wait for a pedal repair, with little or no follow up communication is not very good, so I fail to see any lack of perspective. The OP put forth a question of about getting a pedal repaired and people offered their experiences. That is part of what this forum and others are for.
    The reason I even looked at this thread is because the red snapper side of my Menatone fish factory is not working and I called and left Brian a message with my name and phone number. He never called me back. There have been threads in the past talking about problems with repairs on Brian's pedals. I met Brian at my first NAMM show in 2008 when he shared a booth with Ben Fargen. Both guys were super nice and I have owned at one time 6 different Menatone pedals. With that said, being a nice guy doesn't excuse lack of customer service. Quite frankly, I have fears of sending my pedal in, to only end up frustrated and bewildered like some in this thread. It's almost less stressful to have the pedal sitting on my shelf, not working. Its a shame, because the fish factory is one of the best dual overdrives out there.