Red Snapper LOVE!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slopeshoulder, May 29, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

You may know that I love Menatone pedals. They work great with my rig, and the guy just hears the way I do. I like the open, natural, chimey, amp-like for real, not like a pedal sound that they have. But I like others too and it's not like the guy married my sister or gives them to me for free.

I have a Red Snapper (4 knob) on my board right next to an E burst, Zendrive and Klon. I use it mostly for light break up and find it to have the most transparent, non ragged, non fuzzy transition to overdrive I've encountered, so it's perfect for me. It makes my Bruno sound like a GREAT blackface (lower headroom but with that Bruno voice) at a manageable volume. Works equally well playing modern smoky/edgy jazz or ringing alt country.

BUT, in the past week I've turned up the gain and also stacked it (into Howie, KOTB, WMB) and compared it to E, Zen and Klon (all of which I love). The good news is that the Snapper is the MOST transparent of them all with NO discernable mid hump. It's open and chimey, and the bite and cut controls work beautifully together. The E is more midrangey and has a beautiful voice, and the Zen has that chirp. The Klon is the fattest, and really excels in a stack. Those pedals are going nowhere. But the RS sounds so REAL. (Maybe too real? do we want that hump?)

It's funny, sometimes I crave the last pedal I played and my ears need a moment to adjust. So I find that I now turn the RS down if I want to use it for rhythm, but otherwise I keep it up a bit, and I choose E, Zen, Klon, or RS depending on the moment, even switching mid solo or whenever I get the whim. None is "better." This is a great pedal and deserves to be on the short list of best pedals IMO. BTW, the Blue Collar is NOT like a gainier RS; it has more of a TS midrange sound. I don't have that one. The RS is very very open. You may love it or you may say "nope, now I know why people like that mid hump!" YMMV, but I just thought I'd share.

I'm very very curious how it compares to a Little Green Wonder. Anyone?Something tells me they are similiar, but I like the 4 knob layout of the RS.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Bought and sold both the RS and BC. They just don't suit me and my rig. Congrats to you!

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a 3 knob Snapper which was very nice but I ended up keeping the TIM because it did the same thing pretty much, and had more range. It is a good pedal though, not sure about the BJF sorry.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I love my Blue Collar-I guess I fall into the "what's wrong with mid-hump?" category. I'd like to try a Red Snapper to see what all the fuss is about though. The BC doesn't cut as much bass or seem as mid-humpy as a tube screamer to me though.

5. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

loved my old BC ptp. had to trade it for some buckers for my 335. as i have plenty of ts drives..but i regret it.what a great pedal..

would love to try a RS as an LTD is my main rhythm drive..seems like the RS would be a great dare i say replacement for her.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

you married his sister?

:rotflmao

7. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I have gone through my share of pedals. The less gain, the more transparent I want the pedal to be. So with higher gain, I like the mid hump, but low gain settings I want it as transparent as possible. I love my Red Snapper for very liight OD. HBE Powerscreamer for mid gain and my Box of Rock for my Marshall sounds. With the independant boost of the BoR and the two in one feature of the PScreamer, I can get anything I need with a clean amp.

Jack

8. axelicker

axelicker Member

I love the RS! It and a Crunch Box are the only 2 drive pedals left on my board. At one point I had an RC and AC and BB, as well as a Direct Drive and Sparkle Drive. Ridiculous... All into the clean channel of a Rivera KHR. I only use the RS for a little dirt, gain never past halfway. It's a beautiful pedal which lets the guitar sound like your guitar.

BTW Slope, is your sister hot? Single? :drool

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I used to have a bunch of Menatone stuff including:
    • Red Snapper (3-knob PTP)
    • Fish Factory (6-knob PTP)
    • Kar Krash (Limited PTP)
    • Howie (6-knob PTP)
    • J.A.C (PTP)
    Great stuff from Brain and I can't wait till my name comes up on the new Kar Krash.