red snapper question, is this pedal a clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Jun 22, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

I want a pedal that is good at clean boost as well as overdrive. I looked at a few pedals like the zvex sho and its nice but maybe a tad too bright with my D13, I like the sparkle however. So I was thinking something like the red snapper might be better because it has a tone knob and a bite knob so it can be taned on the highs a bit. But can it do the sparkly clean boost thing or is it just an overdrive? Does it have as much volume as a sho? Is the red snapper capable of being a clean boost?

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

I love my Fulldrive II, its got three different settings, and a boost switch. Standard, but very good, and very musical. Great usable tone knob.

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

the Red Snapper is great for a light/medium gain od and has alot of volume, so it's nice as a boost too. It's been a long time since I've had one, and the one's I had were the original versions, but I remember it being really bright.

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i've got the 4 knob PCB version (got it from ben c on the forums) and it's awesome.

dave

5. Medication

Medication Member

+1 light/medium boost.

I highly recommend ZVex Super Duper/ SHO, but I'm biased because I love those pedals.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Snappers like a refined TS type of pedal. Eggsellent stomper.

The Hotcake can do sparkly clean and gritty drive and actually fuzz a bit. Good times.

7. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

Yes. With the gain all the way down you can boost only the clean with the volume pot. I have the new 4-knob version, and I really enjoy this pedal. One of the main reasons I bought it was to be able to go from just clean to slight OD, in very gradual increments. I have no use for anything beyond mild OD, so I wanted as much subtle variation in between clean and mild OD as possible. I also wanted to avoid the classic TS mid hump and keep the true sound of my axe. I think the RS does a fine job of this.
    Also, I could see how the older 3-knobbers might have been harsher-sounding, and I really appreciate the 'Cut' knob to balance off the 'Bite' settings and tame the tone.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you want a clean boost buy one, a red snapper is a tube screamer type pedal that doesn't have the over the top nasal going on. I just played one last weekend at it was pretty gainy at higher settings.

If you want a clean boost by a compressor, set it to a very light attack but raise the gain knob a bunch, this will give you a great clean boost.

9. rabbit

rabbit Member

I think the red snapper does a wonderful clean boost with the gain set low and the volume up. Plus a good control over the eq via the cut and bite knobs.

I am using mine as a clean boost in front of an overdriven channel switching amp and it works great since the red snapper is very (attention, the "bad" word..) transparent and doesn´t mud up the sound. I would say get one!