Red Snapper vs. Sex Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PdL, Sep 27, 2006.

1. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the market for one of these 2 pedals to run with my SFDR. Has anyone here done a side by side? For those of you that use one of these pedals, is the boost totally transparent or does it color the sound in some way?

TIA.

2. Thazy

Thazy Member

I have both. The Sex Drive works great into Fender amps as it seems to have been made for them. One of the best, most transparent boost pedals out there. No to very little gain and a touch of compression that can be switched in.

The Red Snapper is a very good low to medium gain pedal. I find that it pretty bright sounding and works best into a dark sounding amp.

3. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Supporting Member

I have the Sex Drive.

It is extremely transparent with the toggle switch in the center position. The tone control can add the perfect amount of sparkle. I love it!

Sounds great through my Fender VibroKing and my Fargen Bordeoux.

The toggle switch can be set to add perfect soft or what they call hard compression, both which are still extremely mild. In those positions, the gain control can be used to add some beautiful slight grit.

Awesome pedal, in my opinion.

4. rabbit

rabbit Member

I think that the Red Snapper is a very transparent boost.

(guittguy1: +1 :))

5. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

But a red snapper can KILL a sex drive, if ya know what I mean........

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

6. rabbit

rabbit Member

I know what you mean (pain!), but I meant the pedal...:AOK

7. opdev

opdev Member

I love my Red Snapper. Clearest OD I have ever owned.

Ca be bright but that's what the knob is for.

8. The Red Snapper is VERY open and sparkly sounding.
    With the cut and bite knob both down, it is a clean boost with no coloration.
    If you want compression, go with the Sex Drive, the Red Snapper doesnt have any compression to my ears. That's a good thing in my opinion.
    The Red Snapper is very pretty and complex sounding. Yes, it can be bright, but that's why there is a cut knob. No big deal.
    It's my favorite overdrive.
    Very amp-like tones.

Luke

9. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

The Sex Drive isn't compressed unless you flick the compression switch and even then it's very subtle. With the tone knob at 12 o'clock and the compression off, it's transparent.

10. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

Don't rule out the Direct Drive vs the Snapper. I A/B both and ended up with the DD. I loved the Snapper but the DD had the same kind of sound with a little more features and a cheaper price tag. Brian makes great pedals though.. the Blue Collar is my favorite pedal to kick on for leads.

11. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Well, to my ears the Sex Drive is a great boost and the Red Snapper a Great OD. I own a Sex Drive and love it for slight break up on chords and the Red Snapper I just had a chance to borrow for a week or so and really liked it.