Red Snapper?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratoquack, May 20, 2006.

1. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

So while I wait patiently for my Zendrive, I'll stay happy with my Sparkle Drive. I have to say though, my curiosity is really up on the Red Snapper by Menatone. So any owners, give me your pros and cons. No one in Atlanta sells them so I can't play one first.
    Bill

2. KBN

KBN Member

I have a 4 knob and I really like it. I like the fact that it doesn't have a mid hump. I use mine for rather light overdrive and it doesn't seem to color the tone...just adds grit. Seems pretty flexible to me. It also has a decent amount of gain on tap. I'm sure there are others here who can more eloquently describe it.

3. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

which version are you looking at? I know that there are at least 3 of them.
    I have the first (3-knob ptp version) . The next was a four knob(non ptp), and now there is a newer 4-knob. The second didn't sound nearly as smooth imho. Have not heard the "newer" one.

4. madsr

madsr Member

I had the original red snapper 3 knob version and loved it, then I got a keeley bd2 and the snapper got the boot. Overall it's a nice pedal for transparent to mild od.. the bd2 was just much more versatile imho..and cheaper!

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I have the "3 knob" and the "Fishfactory" and they are both killer! I'm very impressed with Brian's pedals. I would totally recommend anyone to get at least one of them.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Wow really? I am gonna have to try my modded BD-2 again, cause the first time I tried it next to the snapper I was VERY underwhelmed. The 3-konb snapper is excellent!!

7. mischultz

mischultz Member

FWIW, I have the new Blue Collar. If you want to give that a run and at least get a feel for the general character of the Menatone stuff, drop me a line. I'm over in Marietta, and I'm sure we could hook up somewhere...

Michael

8. madsr

madsr Member

the BD2 can be used as a super clean boost with a nice thick, round low end with the switch in the up position, and it has much more useable gain for more grit than the snapper gives. the red snapper is a great pedal, the keeley BD2 just has a wider range of tonal possiblities imo.

9. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I've owned the original 3 knob version and now have a recent Fish Factory. The FF has basically all the features of the Red Snapper, plus the whole Blue Collar side. I set the RS side of the FF for clean boost to mild overdrive and the BC side for more gain. Great pedal, very flexible.

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

One of the best TS808 type pedals out there. No mid hump, real smooth tone throught the entire range, a good deal of gain if needed and pretty transparent sounding to boot. I've tried a few, but like the original 3 knob PTP RS the best.