Red wine for someone who doesn't like wine

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CoryB, May 22, 2019.

1. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

If at a restaurant, there is nothing at all wrong with asking your wait staff for a recommendation in the price range you are looking for. Any decent restaurant knows their wines and can recommend something for you. Tell them you don't normally drink wine, ask for something that will be more palatable - see where it goes. You might find yourself enjoying it more than you know.

shane8, Madsen and Mngwa like this.
  2. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

For sure. First you kinda have to identify roughly what you like/don't like. Sweet? Tart/dry? etc. I like both of those btw. Also love super syrupy sweet ports and they fill in for something I generally don't like about wine--that it's kinda thin. On the tart red side I've found I like Malbecs and Old Vine Zins. A good Riesling(white) is in that territory as well. Once you key in on some types you like then you sort of have to do some tasting to find specific wines you like. At this point 9/10 when I walk into a wine shop I'm walking directly to one of my favorites. Occasionally I'll grab an experiment but these days I'll usually end up trying new ones when I'm out to dinner or whatever.

3. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Or as Fred Sanford succinctly put it: Gimme some of that Booze-o-lay you big dummy!

cratz2, amptex, GGinMP and 2 others like this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

I am not an expert, yet not a noob...

When I didn't know anything about reds, I asked a guy at my city's best liquor store to suggest a red. I told him I knew nothing and was going to a tasting party, complete with a blind taste contest. He suggested a $16 syrah that won the evening over a $55 bottle. My favorite wine, to this day.

At a restaurant, wife and I asked for recommendations - and each got stellar offerings; the best zin that I've known and a blend (not sweet) that is our most often dinner accompanyment at home. Both stocked regularly, as we can.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  6. Antmax

Antmax Member

I drink a couple of bottles of wine a year and typically don't care for it. My wife doesn't like wine much and only drinks red. The one both of us don't mind is Apothic Red. It was recommended by the local Trader Joe's wine guy Richard who by all intents and purposes looks like an alcoholic Santa. Said it was great with a big traditional roast type meal and he was right.

A fairly sweet fruity red California mix.

https://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-wine/red-blend/apothic-red/p/108830750

7. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

If you don't like or drink wine it isn't going to matter. They will all taste very similar to you. Just order a house red and roll with it.

Madsen likes this.
  8. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    24yrs of sobriety and the only thing I miss(not a craving) is a glass of beaujolais...

9. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

I can't help with the red, but all wine is purported to have some health benefits.

May I suggest that you try a nice Riesling sometime? They tend to have lower alcohol content and (to my tastes) are sweeter. Some are a straight up desert wine. I HATE "dry" wines!!

It's a new world. The old rules of "Red only with this, white only with that" are only for corksniffing show. One of many many articles https://www.decanter.com/learn/food/cordon-bleu/red-meat-with-white-wine-321407/

10. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

11. GregoryL

GregoryL Member

My wife and I are in the same boat, not regular drinkers but like to share a bottle from time to time.

We tend to like Malbecs.

Mngwa likes this.
  12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I wouldn't try try to like it.

Order what you like.

If you insist, just ask for the house red.

ckfoxtrot, rjpilot and QRSS like this.
  13. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Two Buck Chuck. Why waste money!? :dunno

I’m guessing Two Buck Chuck is like $7 by now.

shane8 likes this.
  14. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

At a restaurant, just order the “House red”. “Red Table Wine” or the like.

If you have to choose an easier style, go with a Pinot Noir (pee-no, nwar) or a Merlot (mer-low)

BigWave likes this.
  15. shane8

shane8 Member

"make me like wine"

no …. there won't be enough for me :(

ask a pro for something light & fruity

to say all shiraz or pinot noir tastes like …. is silly (eg pinot noir is used in champers … shiraz can be used for rose)

it's not so much the grape as the region & winemaker

2leod, QRSS and VooDooClown like this.
  16. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Another Pinot vote.

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Bourbon.

It's red-ish. You could always add a cherry and a dash of sweet red vermouth to make it even more so.

shane8 and Achewood_Johnson like this.
  18. Achewood_Johnson

Achewood_Johnson Member

When first-timers come in to the tasting room I occasionally work at, I give them them best advice I can.

1: Taste everything you can without prejudice. It's why you're at a tasting room. If it tastes.. wrong.. spit it out. We have buckets for that. Move on to the next wine.
    2: If you like something... you like it! Don't let snobs tell you what you 'should' like. If that's sweet white zinfandel, drink it. If it's mouth-puckeringly tannic Cabernet, drink it. If it's port, drink it. It's your money, do what you want.
    3: It takes a lot of beer to make good wine. If you find you just don't like the taste, or anything else about it. Don't drink it. It's grape juice gone bad for all intents and purposes. Drink what you like... again.

It took me until I was 30 before I understood what people were finding interesting about red wine. Then I had an epiphany. It was a bottle of Zinfandel from a small winery in El Dorado county, California. It was at an Easter dinner with a lamb roast. It was an 'AHA!' moment for me.

People seem to want wine to have a snobby appeal. It keeps the prices up.

Your avatar says Virginia. There's a wine heritage of sorts there I've read. I've even heard they make wine with the local native grapes, too. Hey! Your state gov has your education covered!: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/product-knowledge/buying-guide-wine Drinking the local stuff can add to the pleasantries associated with drinking wine... which is a legitimate part of appreciating it. If there are wineries nearby for a day trip.. consider visiting a few. They are often in beautiful areas.

In other words, give wine a go. But if it doesn't work for you, don't sweat it!

chunky48, ckfoxtrot, FbIsNotE and 6 others like this.
  19. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Another thing to consider is that some are genetically more reactive to the bitterness of tannins in red wine, just like folks who taste soap when eating cilantro instead of the bright citrus bite others enjoy. If that is you, there may be no red wine that works. Rosé or a sturdy white might be more to your liking.

ckfoxtrot, FbIsNotE and NamaEnsou like this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Do you have a Trader Joes in driving range? Go there and buy several different wines to try, they will be inexpensive. "Two Buck Chuck" is famous for being $2-$3 per bottle and experts have been unable to tell when blind tasting (it's the Tone Wood of the wine world).

How about an Aldi's nearby? They have similar wine to try for low cost. Some is surprisingly good. Aldi's, which is as big as Kroger in Europe, owns Trader Joes, is expanding in the US.

In general, the $12-$15 price range is the best value to taste after that. Stick with the 'New World' (Americas, New Zealand, Australia) wines as they are built around a primary grape type while European wines are built around the hill they are grown on which adds to the confusion of what's in the bottle without significant research.

Cabernets are like Guiness Stout
    Pinot Noir is the most variable of the wines in taste profile, from super good to kind of bad
    Merlot is like Miller lite or Bud lite
    Zinfandel is often like the IPA, often spicy but maybe not the tannins.

If you get a chance see the movie
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideways