1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Red Witch Controls

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steve L, May 21, 2006.

1. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I have had the Deluxe Moon Phaser for about a week and I can't stop using it! Great versatility and new tones! I have NOT turned it off.
    I am also interested in the Pentavocal (which I have already tried) and the Empress which was just released.

However, I'm just a little unclear of the control knobs. For example, the six position cosmology represents what?? I saw an earlier posting that said every other one was a phaser, but the instructions imply some different arrangement. (I am just curious--just so I can have a better understanding of what I'm doing when I play around with it!).
    Also, I don't have the instruction sheet for the Pentavocal and I am curious about what the five voicing settings represent. They sounded different when I tried it out, but, again, I'd like an understanding of what they represent.
    Based on the descriptions of the Empress, I think it looks pretty straightforward.

Also, on another note....any suggestions regarding how to set up the Deluxe Moon Phaser and Empress simultaneously to a second amp? And, which order should these pedals go--that is with all THREE...if I end up with all of them! (Moon Phaser, Empress, Pentavocal)
    Thanks.

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm still waiting for mine (ordered on 4/28 from Musictoyz.com... they shipped me a fuzz god in a DMP box and I haven't heard back from them yet about that or my backordered EMMA Discumbobulator- which was supposed to ship 5-7 days after the first package). Needless to say, I'll be doing lots of business with them in the future. ToneFactor is out of stock of both pedals, otherwise I would have ordered from Brad. Elderly instruments beat the pants off of musictoyz, a metronome arrived about 3 days after ordering it.... arg. When I get mine, I will try to figure out the controls as well...

3. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Love my Deluxe MP as well, especially in stereo. I sort of like the way there's no specific instructions about the controls .. leaves you to find your own sounds in it. My impression of the cosmology settings is that they're all phaser except the last two which are varying kinds of tremophase.

I don't have a Pentavocal as I like my amp trems a lot, but it's certainly one I'd be looking at if I ever needed a trem pedal.

I would think that running chorus and phaser at the same time would be kinda redundant .. you'd just end up with a big watery undefined mess, which might be cool for what you're doing. I'd need to experiment as I've never really tried them together.

Otherwise, I'd be inclined to put trem last, and probably run phase -> chorus -> trem if I was using all three, or maybe the phaser first with the trem on one stereo out and the chorus on the other.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

From the Red Witch website:

Velocity - determines the rate of the phase/ tremolo sweep - from an incredibly slow rise and fall to a super fast pulse.

Trajectory - A unique control which adjusts the shape of the phased wave.

Cosmology - a six position rotary switch which selects the phase, tremolo or tremo- phase stage.

5. Steve L

I think this may address my question. Do you mean that the dry signal from one would go to the extra amp and the wet signal from the other would go to that amp, too?
    Thanks for your tips--you clearly have more experience with this effect than I do!

6. Steve L

I highly recommend that you get in contact with Maken' Music in Chicago. I think they have everything you mention and they are great to deal with.
    http://www.makenmusic.com/

7. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The six-position "Cosmoslogy" knob defies descrition - the weird thing is that the "Trajectory" knob does different things based on where the Cosmo knob is set - very confusing, but also very cool. I have one a year or so ago, and I never did settle on my settings, they all sounded so cool! I think if you tried to lable the 6 different positions it would just be confusing because they provide subltle shades of difference when compared to each other. Very cool pedal BTW!

8. Yek

Yek Member

According to Ben this is it:
    The six voicings are: Tremolo, Phaser C, Tremophase B, Phaser B, Tremophase A, Phaser A. Order is reversed in the first batch.

9. meterman

meterman Member

It must have changed at some point then, because mine is (from CCW to CW, left to right) Trem, Tremo-phase, and then four different flavors of phasing.

10. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Which still doesn't really tell you what they do. It's one of those cosmological mysteries ..

Well, there isn't really any dry signal .. I meant that I would for example start with the phaser, take the left out and run it through a (mono) chorus to an amp, and then the right out and run it through a (mono) tremolo to the other amp.

But if you have more than one input on an amp you could experiment with the above by taking the stereo signal from the trem and chorus and crossing it over .. might make you very seasick .. :)

11. Steve L

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

From the Red Witch website:

"The Deluxe unit features a superbrite Emerald LED - now even the deaf will know you're using the phaser,
    as well as our special stereo out; one output carries the wet phased signal and the other carries a special
    inverted dry signal. Hook the unit up to two amps and you're in celestial stereo heaven.

The unit can also be used with just one amplifier - exactly the same way the std Moon Phaser is used; just
    attach your amp to the mono output."

13. yyz67

yyz67 Member

I have a Deluxe Moon Phaser and the mono phasing is great... HOWEVER, when I go stereo the phasing effect is lost. Even if I plug in a cord into the other out not connected to an amp the mono out LOSES it's phasing and only has a slight chorus/trem sound.

Does anyone else experience this in stereo mode????

14. Steve L

No problem here. In fact, you could argue that it sounds better through both amps--kinda swooshes!
    I'd be interested to see if anyone else has the same issue you're having.