Red Witch Empress Chorus in the house!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just to be clear, I bought this used in the emporium.

This is a great chorus unit with a lot of different tones. I find it to be among the most versatile chorus pedals I've played through. It's analog so it's fat and thick and rich and is true bypass so it doesn't effect the tone when it's off.

It's got mix, depth, voice and velocity pots as well as a vibrato/chorus switch and a dark/bright switch. Voice is the delay parameter and this adds to the versatility. Many chorus pedals omit this parameter or give you a few switch settings. It's nice to be able to control this with a lot of granularity. Ditto for having a mix control. The mix control allows you to get some really subtle stuff happening which is also very cool. It differs from the depth control in that it allows some of the guitars straight-through signal to come through.

The bright and dark switch are cool though the bright setting does add a little hiss. I've primarily played around with the chorus mode so I'll report back separately on the vibrato mode.

It's interesting comparing this to the retro-sonic chorus. They sound totally different. There are a few settings on the red witch that approximate the retro-sonic but for the most part, there is little overlap.

I will do a couple video clips of these pedals over the next week or two as time permits.

2. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

hey Jack, I know you picked up a Choral Flange recently as well. How does the Empress compare to the Choral Flange?

3. RickB

RickB Member

Hey Jack. Glad to see that you picked one of these up and appear to be digging it. :AOK Better than the clips present it huh? Is yours one of the new white ones?

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Hey guys, yeah, mine is a white one with red logo. The clips definitely don't do it justice. Regarding the choralflange, the red which doesn't have flange so obviously in that regard the fulltone is more versatile. The fulltone changes the basic character of the guitar which I didn't like. I didn't fool around with the CF long enough to find the eric johnson chorus sound which is one of my goals. However, I'm not sure I've found that setting yet with either of the 2 chorus pedal I'm playing around with though I have the feeling the red witch can do it with some tweaking...

5. RickB

RickB Member

That's the cool thing about the delay knob on there. The slightest tweaks to it (in conjuction with the mix knob) can produce some wildly varied sounds. I am still tweaking mine but haven't really been on a mission to make it sound like my SCF. Please post your settings when you get it dialed in. :AOK

6. starfish

starfish Member

I used to have the Red Witch Medusa a couple years back. Great pedal save for its size. Someone aptly dubbed it "the greatest hits of chorus" pedal.

Supposedly the smaller Empress chorus is mostly the same design. Might need to check one of those out. The Medusa was white/red too.

7. RickB

RickB Member

Hey Jack.... how are things going with the Empress? Have you had a chance to pull together any vids yet?