Red Witch Moon Phaser and Empress

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steve L, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I have the Deluxe Moon Phaser and use it all the time. It's great! Totally changed my "sound."
    I have been waiting for the Empress chorus to come out and will probably buy one this week. I have been waiting for the sound clips to appear and they did today.
    I realize this may sound stupid, but what is the real difference between the two pedals? That is, I realize they are both modulation effects. If I have one, will I "need" the other? I realize I wouldn't have them both running simultaneously, but is there going to be a difference it the tone that each one will give?
    I must admit that I am "new" to phasers. I have had a TC Electronics Chorus for years and years and take it for granted--never think too much about it.
    Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated...but as I mentioned, I'll probably end up getting the Empress this week since I like the Moon Phaser so much!
    Thanks.

2. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Hey Steve,

Yeah, they are both modulation effects, but the way in which they achieve their sound is totally different. An analog chorus (as well as analog flanger and analog delay) are time-based modulation effects that use Bucket Brigade Device (BBD) ICs. So that takes the original signal, delays it by a certain number of milliseconds, and sends that signal out along with the original.

A Phaser, on the other hand, creates a notch in the frequency spectrum of your signal and uses an LFO to sweep the notch back and forth. Hope that helps.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

And if you're gonna buy new (which of course you must, since its a new pedal), that funny guy above me is a Red Witch Dealer, don'tcha know!

4. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

hey tom, when will you have the empress in stock and how much will they be? thanks!

5. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but yeah... Thanks! :)

6. Steve L

I appreciate the explanation, but I am wondeirng if the effects would be redundant together? That is, don't they sound pretty similar and have a similar use?
    As far as ordering, I have already arranged to purchase it somewhere else. I will certainly keep your website on my "favorites" for next time!

7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I don't think they're redundant. I love phasers -- I have the RWDMP & adore it -- and don't really have much interest in a chorus. There's a sort of nasal, droning, sometimes metallic quality about phasers that really does it for me -- chorus, imo, usually sounds much softer and, in less pleasant cases, mushy & too diffuse. It also tends to give me '80s flashbacks, but that's another story. ;)

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Pardon my opinion here, but I'm not impressed in the least. Not my thing.
    There's one decent clip in there, who uses all that other stuff? And for $300 +/-, c'mon man!!! Just my 2 cents.

9. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I also have and really like the RWDMP. If I felt the need for a chorus, I'd be looking at the Empress .. but I can do everything I want to with phase/flange or simple clean sounds with some EQ tweaking.

CQ, every time I've seen a thread and thought "Hey, I own one of those" you've posted in it. Our gear has remarkable similarities .. except for all those flutes, of course .. :)

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'm really looking forwards to the Empress. Sounds like a mix between the Polychorus and the CE-1. I can't wait to get it and try it out on the Oberheim and Prophet 600. After that it's going on my pedalboard!

11. BenFulton

BenFulton Member

I think Tom nailed the difference a few posts up.

Incidentally, I've been running the Moon Phaser and Empress together here at the workshop and I must say it's a really pretty sound! I might post some clips for you guys to check out. Actually there's one clip that I'll be posting later - suggested by a fellow formite on HC - playing a chord and then turning the voice pot in real time, on the clip. Should be cool.

Thanks for everyones positivity and encouragment - I can't wait to hear what those of you who get one think of her!

Cheerio,

Ben

12. Steve L

Thanks for the reply, Ben. Just wondering....will we find this clip on the web site or are you going to post it on the Gear Page?
    I am very curious and intrigued by this pedal. As I mentioned earlier, I just got the Deluxe Moon Phaser and I haven't turned it off! Every time I plug in, I find a new "favorite setting." So, I am attracted to another product in the line, but I'm not sure how I'll incorporate it into my chain and sound. Or IF I should add it on!
    By the way, is there a suggested way to hook it up to a second amp along with the Deluxe Moon Phaser so that I can get a stereo effect out of one or the other effect--depending on which one is engaged?
    Thanks.