Rediscovering Helix

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Bought a Helix awhile back - had to backburner it for 6 months due to work travel (aka - no time).

Turned it on yesterday - updated the firmware - played for a couple of hours. Seems like the current presets are pretty good - not sure what changed but it just sounded good with no tweaking.

I have to do some config to line up presets with songs we do but I'm convinced I can gig with this and my guitar.

Whatever the latest updates added - I like it!

I was wondering about the long term viability of USB as an interface tho' - since every new laptop I look at doesn't have the right type of interface...

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Bought a Helix awhile back - had to backburner it for 6 months due to work travel (aka - no time).

Turned it on yesterday - updated the firmware - played for a couple of hours. Seems like the current presets are pretty good - not sure what changed but it just sounded good with no tweaking.

I have to do some config to line up presets with songs we do but I'm convinced I can gig with this and my guitar.

Whatever the latest updates added - I like it!

I was wondering about the long term viability of USB as an interface tho' - since every new laptop I look at doesn't have the right type of interface...
I don't see regular USB going anywhere for a long time despite Apple's efforts... Keep on buying those dongles!

mbetter

I love USB-C. I've got a dock with all my gear plugged into it, plus power and ethernet, so just one cable to plug in when I bring my laptop over. Plus the cable always goes in on the first try because of its symmetrical design.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I love USB-C. I've got a dock with all my gear plugged into it, plus power and ethernet, so just one cable to plug in when I bring my laptop over. Plus the cable always goes in on the first try because of its symmetrical design.
I'll get there eventually - I have been looking at laptops and they all seem to have it.

Mostly, I'm happy that Helix is working out for me. I can't wait to set it all up and bring it to rehearsal. Even using my old Carvin PM12 it sounds ok, certainly good enough.

Tangent: I haven't had a windows machine for home since 2004. The prices on the macbook pro are making me rethink it. I do pretty basic stuff these days, just want to manage my Helix, do some simple recording (maybe), and use the office tools. I don't love Windows 10 but I can buy two pretty well configured laptops for the price of one Macbook. Can anyone recommend a windows machine? I've been looking at ASUS, but open to ideas.

Trending Topics