Rediscovering this old 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mad dog, Sep 2, 2006.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

What the hell was I waiting for?? Picked up a well-used '66 335 more than 10 years ago, cheap because of headstock repair, but basically unplayable due to fret wear. I've played it maybe 6 times in all. Finally kicked my butt to get it refretted.

Just got it back last night. Wonderful job from Bill at Dave's Sound in NJ. I never did get to know this guitar. Lots of learning to do. My first hollow body electric, first humbucker guitar. It plays so easy, sounds so good. It's gonna be a loud weekend at my house.

2. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

whoa---I ALSO have a '66 ES-335 w/ a (well done, stable) headstock repair---got it last year.
    It is my #1 these days---I love it. I have some decent gear, but that 335 just lights up the tone all the way around---

here's some sound samples from a new blues CD I'm on---my 335 into an outboard reverb tank into a Victoria tweed Bandmaster w/ 4-10" speakers, tracks 6 and 7 best show the 335's tone, for what it's worth--

BTW, if you like Rockin' and Swingin' blues---check out all the tracks---you will hear some RIPPIN' guitar from the other guys---and Jimi Bott is the drummer for the Fabulous Thunderbirds....heck, feel free to buy a copy! hehe---I know, spam, but really I just wanted to have you hear the 335 tone and why it's MY number one....

http://cdbaby.com/cd/jimibott2

ac

3. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Awesome! 335s are one of the best guitars around, IMO. I have a newer DOT Reissue that I absolutely love! Spend some time with it and make a new friend. :)

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Sweet guitar tones Zappafrank and Bott smokes!

Thanks for the link.

5. mad dog

Thanks for the feedback, gents. ZappaFrank: Interesting about that victoria. I'm most curious how the 335 will work with my Clark Tyger. Of course the power went out today as I was plugging in. Just came back on. Of all days to lose power ...

Thanks for those clips. I'm on dialup, so will listen at work. I play lots of blues. Can't wait to hear this stuff! BTW: Does yours have a stop tailpiece or the original trapeze? I left the trapeze on mine, wondering if I did the right thing.

6. mprvise

mprvise Member

Okay, mine's not THAT old. I traded a Kramer guitar (Baretta I think) and $300 for a brand new 335 in 1986. Although I still love the 335 it doesn't see the action it used to anymore. Think I'll go pull it out right now and do some playing. :AOK :AOK

[​IMG]

7. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

mad dog---I'm SURE the 335/Clark combo will smoke---I have a Clark Beaufort w/ a 15" old Jensen---oh yeah, baby--
    I'm keeping the trapeze on---I think the stoptail makes a 335 more 'Les Paul' like, and the trapeze gives it a tiny bit more airy-ness of a sound---maybe a bit more 'archtop-y'---hope that helps---plus, I have the pole-pieces on the rhythm pup facing back toward the bridge---a trick I heard that Hollywood Fats did---a bit more definition, and less 'boomy'---
    hope you dig the cuts!---
    BTW, I started a new thread on the CD so I don't hijack this thread---sorry 'bout that!!!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=166889

mprvise---GORGEOUS wood and finish, man--Ill post a pic, too:

[​IMG]
    er, it's on the left....(ignore the 64' strat and the 41' ES-100--) LOL!

ac

8. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

Whats the best 335 clone? the Edwards, Tokia or Epiphone?

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've got a "flametop" ES335 with matching back and front ply!

Seriously, I think a good one is more dynamic than a good Les Paul - and the tone is often fatter. I just can't get on with the size of the body. Too big for me and looks weird hung around my knees!

Best, Pete.

10. mad dog

Holy Christ. The tone gods stopped by this AM, plugged this old 335 into the Clark Tyger, and showed me where it's at. I AM NOT WORTHY!! It's so smooth and alive. I can't get over the fullness and warmth of these sounds, and how it bites when you dig in a little. It's like Christmas over here. How could I have let this guitar just sit in the case and gather dust for so long??

11. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

yeah---how COULD YOU!!?? :RoCkIn

I think you wil find the tweed/335 thing is a beautiful marriage, and one that is not overly used by a lot of guitarists, either---Hollywood Fats is the only cat I can think of who used it really consistently ---BB King was using Blackface and Gibson amps by the time he 'married/ Lucille, so he did not use that type of tweed amp w/ a 335 (maybe THAT's why I dig his 50's stuff so much---P90's and tweed, mostly!!)

Oh---and I use it a lot, too:AOK
    ---PS--Mad dog---I'll respond to your email later----

glad you have found a new tone in your life!!

ac

12. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

I have not played them, but I hear real good things about the JAPANESE Tokai 335's (and many other MIJ Tokais, as well---)
    You may also try to look up 'Orville' guitars---another Japanese version of Gibsons---look for something not TOO heavy---they need to be kinda resonate to sound real good, IMHO--YMMMV---etc...

ac

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

In addition to these try to find a Tradition. I had one for a while and it was very nice. Fit, finish and tone were all great.

I had been gassing for a 335 style for years. I bought the Tradition and barely played it. While it was everything I hoped it would be, that style of guitar just wasn't me. My nephew was playing in a jazz oriented band at the time so I gave it to him. He's still loving it.

14. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I've got a 335 Tokai and it is great.

15. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Check out a Yamaha SA2200 for a possible alternate to the vintage collectors item that can be damaged. The Yamaha's are pretty sturdy, hold tunning really well, and sound great straight out of the box.

16. mad dog

AC: Tried your clips. Media player loads, connects, but won't play any. Is it just me?

17. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

mad dog---hmm--I don't know?---CD baby is where Mr. bott put them---they loaded and played for me just fine---I think they loaded up in both windows media player and itunes for me on my pc---sorry I can't help further---might email CDBaby staff???

Thanks for trying!!!

ac

18. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

You might check out the Ibanez Artcore AS73.

Dan

19. Don L

Don L Member

Sounds awesome!! :dude

I have a '66 335 coming in the next couple of days. Can't wait!