Rediscovery....THE absolute best way to improve and inspire your playing.....

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jimfog, Jun 9, 2008.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

.....as well as humble, depress and occasionally bore yourself.

Record! :phones

Now, I KNEW this.....used to do it all the time, but I stopped years ago. Other than cd projects, etc, I rarely would record and listen back critically.

I just picked up a handy little Zoom H2 and started bringing it to gigs.

It's been.....ummm...interesting.

You may THINK you sound like A....but actual proof will reveal you actually sound like B....or more likely X Y or Z!

The toughest part is doing the really serious listening. Don't get caught up in "Do I sound good?"...but "How's my time", "Are we all locking", "Is what I'm playing appropriate", "Tuning??"..etc, etc.

For me, the big UH-OH has been time issues. Not obvious, out of time stuff, just where I'm placing the note in the groove vs where I THINK I'm placing it. As mentioned in another thread, I've been really surfing that upper edge of the beat, unconsciously........too much country playing.....I need some soul injections! lol

It's a pretty tough, self-involved process......but I think if I can get through without slicing off my ears, it will be ultimately a huge help.

Proceed at your own risk!

- Jim

PS...I put some clips from my 1st night recording up in the Sound Clips section, if you want to laugh along.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

I could have written my name under this post.
    I'm in the exact same boat, including the H2 part. Luckily the gig I recorded was a pretty good one so I didn't feel THAT ashamed.

But today in the studio I noticed the tendency to rush again, both in a straight forward rhuthm guitar track and a drum track I had to play for a demo. Just as I was beginning to think that my time is getting better i got this reality check today.

What do you guys do to improve this, besides getting out the old metronome and recording yourself?
    What do you focus on when playing with others and, just as important, when you're not playing with others?

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Whoal Jim ...

When listening back to myself play ...
    I beat myself up more about time issues than any other aspect...

Just got a CD from a lady who hired me to play all over her Album ...
    And now that I've heard it ... I'm dying at how amatuer I was when it came to playing with good time ...

It was one of those sessions when I didn't even listen to my tracks played back..
    just did all the dubbing as fast as I could since I was getting paid per song....
    And ran out of there ...

And now this is being sold with my name on it ....(Help me ... I'm dying here ...)

4. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

Hey Lucid - don't sweat it man. IME, we musicians hear far more fault in our own playing than anyone else listening would. Given the little bit of your playing I've heard, I'm sure it can't be as bad as you're making out ;)

To the OP: I have found through recording that I have something of a mental block when it comes to a metronome/click track. I ALWAYS start rushing the beat. Something about the lack of subdivisions makes me want to land right on the beat every time. I'm ok with a drum kit though - weird. Something I would never have worked out without recording myself :)

5. mike walker

mike walker Member

One interesting aspect of learning is the being foxed by a gig you recorded where;
    a. you felt great and really had the energy to go for it and enjoyed it and thought it was all just flowing. And then you listen back to it later and you glance at the drawer where you keep your shotgun.

b. you are not in the mood. enervated. uninspired.
    You guessed it, it actually sounds relaxed and very musical when you listen back later.

These are lessons of experience. The unbiased teacher.

6. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Absolutely, hearing yourself on tape is the best way to judge your playing. As both a band and an individual. It is never going to sound the same as you thought it did when you played it. Ironically, I have as many times that I thought we were terrible and the tape sounds really good as I do the other way around.

P.S.
    We may have a first on TGP in your sound clip posting. A drummer has been thanked for keeping the timing together.
    :roll

7. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Well...that's kinda it.....

More that I REALLY appreciate that guy's playing.....he's not about the grand gestures and flashy fills (although he can certainly do it). He's like Keltner......grabs the perfect groove and holds it like a pitbull, come hell or high-water......even during a 7 minute wankfest!!....and just when you think it might be boring or that he's not listening, he tosses in a SLIGHT, but absolutely perfect, variation.

That's a rare and wonderful thing in a drummer.

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

Sharon Isbin often says that her best teachers were a mirror and a tape recorder

9. doublee

doublee Member

Jimfog you are a good singer!

e

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Thanks Brad ... that means a lot my friend ... !!

11. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

heh, heh, I have posted a few times about how, mmmm, 'confronting' it has been to tape and playback over the last year.
    Ironically, now I am playing in a band, I am paying more attention to timing, but I think I'm the worse for it.
    I have caught myself rushing the beat a few times, I suspect because I am still a novice band player, and I'm keen not to miss stuff etc.
    Luckily, we have a very good drummer.
    I have to do a couple of solos, where there is not much to navigate by timewise, so I'm going to make the last bar a single repeated note, so I can "exit" back to the riff smoothly even if I'm a little off. Ostinato is great for tension anyway !!

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm no Sharon Isbin, but I completely agree with her.

13. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I'm with you, Chismbop

In fact, I've really been beating myself up recently about being so self-critical.

;)

14. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

That's very nice of you......thanks.

The best thing I can say about my "singing" is.....I have no fear around it.Unlike folks who sing constantly growing up.....or are "naturals", I literally NEVER did it, and have only really sung in any professional way for the last 7-8 years......but for some reason, I feel very relaxed about my voice, for better or worse........especially compared to my playing, which I obsess over constantly.

(hmmm....maybe there's a lesson in there?)

It is what it is.......if someone digs it, I'm honestly surprised and honored......if not, F' em.

cheers!

15. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Congrats JImfog, you have cracked the secret to good singing.....no fear !!
    I'm having voice coaching after a lifetime of learned singing inability and the biggest thing is...................abandon your fear !! It has no place.