1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Redplate amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by billyjett, May 15, 2011.

1. billyjett

billyjett Member

Thank's to one and all who contributed their expertise and advice regarding the thread I posted a while back about Redplate. It was an overwhelming response with virtually everyone praising the amps as well as the customer service provided by the builder, so with that in mind, I will be contacting Henry very soon to order up my new Blackverb.One question still lingers though. Everybody was raving about the clean channel, but there were a couple of comments made about the OD channel to the effect that you had to " toy with it" to get it dialed in and such.This is not uncommon with amps that have OD as you sometimes have to find that "sweet spot" so to speak, but how does it sound with more aggressive OD settings, with let say the drive channel dimed?Would you need to use pedals if you wanted a more distorted rock sound for example, or can this be achieved with the stock OD and boost in the amp?

2. stelligan

stelligan Member

Just posted a demo clip of a Cosmic Dust with a rock vibe here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=814413&page=2

The rhythm guitar track is both channels cascaded with only 1/3 of the gain available used. The solo guitar is Drive 2 with boost at around 45% of that channel. Humbucker neck pickup. It is a 4 x 6V6 amp that can get some grind going. Way more than demonstrated in this clip.

3. nospickups

nospickups Silver Supporting Member

This is a low quality flip cam vid of a rock tone from my blackloop. The current blackverb with the marshall voiceing push pull can go even farther into that teritory. Rock on redplaters:dude

http://youtu.be/yEv07GqjMQA

4. gstan

gstan Member

The BlackVerb OD is not "Marshally", it is more a D-style OD. Definitely not a Swiss Army Knife OD. At higher gain and drive settings with a single coil guitar it will get flabby in the low end, and bar chords and double stops on the wound strings, particularly the fifth and sixth strings between the nut and the seventh fret can get ugly. For higher gain rock you'll need pedals, particularly with single coils.

Some of us have made a mod to give the OD a more Marshall like character, but it doesn't take it all the way there.

The BlackVerb OD works its magic at mid range gain and drive settings, but you still have to be careful about playing chords with it, at least when using single coils.

The humbucker guys may have a different experience.

5. nospickups

nospickups Silver Supporting Member

Some of us have made a mod to give the OD a more Marshall like character, but it doesn't take it all the way there.

The BlackVerb OD works its magic at mid range gain and drive settings, but you still have to be careful about playing chords with it, at least when using single coils.

The humbucker guys may have a different experience.[/QUOTE]

My blackverb is the newest version(I think) which included the push pull for the marshall vioceing on the od. This is standard and not a mod on the newer versions and in conjuntion with one of the bright positions and the pressence bypassed I get a great rock tone, think SLO ala government mule. I think these amps have a great rock tone but I agree its not marshall but has its own thing going on. I have played both the rock machine and mdd and those can also get some great rock tone with the second od but I cant agree with gstan enough about metal. These are not the amps for metal in my opinion.

6. billyjett

billyjett Member

My blackverb is the newest version(I think) which included the push pull for the marshall vioceing on the od. This is standard and not a mod on the newer versions and in conjuntion with one of the bright positions and the pressence bypassed I get a great rock tone, think SLO ala government mule. I think these amps have a great rock tone but I agree its not marshall but has its own thing going on. I have played both the rock machine and mdd and those can also get some great rock tone with the second od but I cant agree with gstan enough about metal. These are not the amps for metal in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Well, I am definitely not a metal player, so I wouldn't care if the Blackverb didn't do that. I'm a classic rock/ Blues guy, with heavy on the Blues. The clips I've heard of the Blackverb playing the Bluesy stuff are wonderful, and exactly what I'm after, but it would be nice to be able to play some snarly rock riffs as well, and it sounds like this push-pull feature would do the trick. It's funny that you mentioned Gov' Mule, since Warren Haynes is one of my favorite player's and we cover " Rocking Horse" in one of the groups I play in.I love the tone he get's out of his SLO, and it would be nice if I coud come close with the Blackverb without having to use pedals.I also play both single coils and hummbuckers( Strat & Les Paul), with the majority of the Blues being played on the strat, so getting both guitars dialed in to their perspective tones will take some tinkering, I'm sure.If I did want to try some pedals, what would you recommend?

7. gstan

gstan Member

The core of my pedals consists of 4, in this order

Compressor (Keeley)
    BD-2 (Modded by Keeley)
    Treble Booster (Keeley JavaBoost)
    TS808 (Keeley Modded)

Analogman's versions are great too.

These will work well with any Fenderish amp.

While each pedal has it's own function and voice, these pedals combine in very useful ways, in particular, I find the BD-2 + TS808 and the JavaBoost + TS808 give me two distinct "violin" voices. The BD-2/TS808 combo is a smooth, liquid OD, the JavaBoost/TS808 combo has more attack and upper mid harmonics and chime.

With the BlackVerb a neat trick for using pedals is to set the BV's OD gain and drive in the 5-7 range and then try each of the pedals and workable combinations of pedals on top of the subtle push from the BV's OD, this is very interesting. Sometimes I'll kick in the Tweed, Boost or OD on top of what ever pedal I'm using or vis versa for additional ballz.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. billyjett

billyjett Member

Yes, that's good advice, and I must say that I'm glad to hear that you are a Keeley fan. Almost all of my pedal's are Keeley Mod's, and I have been very pleased with them.I have a BD-2, TS-9,DS-1, and until recently, a Katana boost.I also have a couple of new pedal's from MI Audio.A Blues Pro, and a Crunch Box, which some people refer to as "Marshall in a box".I'm sure if I tinker around I'll be able to dial in something cool.Right now I'm playing through a Fender Vibro King, and all of those pedal's sound good through that amp.

9. gstan

gstan Member

As I have said many times the BV without the OD or the multiple voicings is worth the price of admission. I don't know what the voicings will be called on your amp, but on my amp, the Brown and Super voices and the deep modes of each are addictive/seductive/righteous and are superb with pedals. I'm not really bonded with the Twin mode cleans but with the OD or pedals the Twin mode kills as well.

But it is the cleans that will get you. You will find yourself using pedals less than you currently do, certainly when you are just sitting around playing at home. The sustain and harmonics, and the effectiveness of the tone stack, bright switch and other shaping tools on the amp will give you new appreciation for clean. And it is this harmonic richness that makes these amps so great for pedals as well.

10. straightblues

straightblues Member

Redplates can be ran without pedals and get tons of great tones. However, they also take pedals very well. I use pedals in front of mine some times for more voicings.

11. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I never felt like the BV was Dumble like in it's OD character. In fact I thought it was more Marshally or that is to say more aggressive than a typical skyliner circuit.

The "Super" dial was my favorite setting for clean and OD. man that thing rocked.

One of the things I dug about it was that I could leave my PB home.