Redplate guys....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by westex, Mar 11, 2015.

1. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Have been considering a RedPlate due to all the raves and if I were to pick one new I think it would be an AstroDust Duo for the Fender clean/D style/Marshall-esqe vibes. Looking at what's out there used or at used prices, there is a great deal on a "new" 2013 (NOS?) Aurora34 that is an AstroDust with the exception of EL34's instead of 6L6. How much difference is there going to be there?

2. stelligan

stelligan Member

This amp would have a more tweed like front end and might not get the Black face like cleans that some RedPlates have. Still a fine sounding amp with plenty of clean headroom. Perhaps meant for a rockier vibe.

3. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I much prefer the tweed preamps in Redplates. They still sound like the fender clean everybody knows and loves, just warmer and thicker.

4. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

The EL34s will of course respond and break up a little differently, but to echo what's been said, the RP I've heard/played do the Fender stuff VERY well.

I use a 1x12 TweedyVerb on the Tweed setting as well and it sounds phenomenal while retaining the sparkle of a blackface.

YMMV

5. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

When I talked to Henry about the Aurora at one point, he said he loved the cleans from the el34's.

6. Charvel951

Charvel951 Member

Did he say, he prefered El34's over others, like 6l6' or kt88's?

7. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

I bought the RP50 and had the Xformer changed so I could get the cleans of the Magica. We renamed it the RP50Pro. The cleans sound great with the EL-34's but not as much on the bottom. It is not bad at all and is probably close to the Magica I would think. I have not heard the Magica live so I couldn't be spot on. I do know this is a great amp and it's one that I will be keeping unless H2 does his thing in a way that makes you drop dead. I have the MDD50 watt and it's my favorite but I have some KT-88's coming this week and I'm going to be checking those out this weekend. It's going to be hard to beat my MDD though. All my player friends want that amp but like most musicians in this town; they are broke. I don't see to many rich musicians or if they are rich here they want vintage.

8. Charvel951

Charvel951 Member

What tonality differences does the KT88's have over 6L6's?
    I am not a EL34 fan at all.

9. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

I haven't played the KT-88's a lot yet but since playing them they have a chimey high end and loads of head room. I'm going to say the high end is where everyone says they are 3D and hi-fi sounding. I don't really know the meaning of those expressions. If I'm right or wrong I wish someone would explain it to me. As far as the difference from the 6l6's, that is what I mainly hear right now. I do like them but I am a 6l6 person. Now I'm not high on EL-34's but they sound good to me in this amp. The highs sound good and the OD sound good but it doesn't have the guts of the 6l6's nor the KT-88's. I'll mainly use 6l6's or the 88's but use the 34's if I want more of the marshall sound. It does go that way pretty good and I can't complain because the 34's sound a whole lot better than the ones I heard in a couple of amps that had 34's. The amps I heard were terrible on the highs but the gain was pretty good. This is just my opinion.

10. Charvel951

Charvel951 Member

Thanks Ramblin for your opinion. Looking for a RP50D probably with 6l6's. I like bottom end that have.