Redplate Magica

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big mike, Jan 27, 2015.

1. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I wasn't going to make it this year, but last min jumped in the car and pointed due south to the Thorn Guitars' shindig. Ron puts on a small party for friends/customers every year at NAMM time.

Always a blast to see friends, what's new in the shop, everyone's rig changes (there's always some jamming, this year Mark Goldenberg made me want to burn everthing I own in a huge bonfire). but it's always a blast.

Engineer and friend of Ron's/Mine/Many at the shindig Simeon, invted the Red Plate guys to attend.

I've met and chatted with Henry and Keith at many amp shows and such. Have friends using his amps (Dana Olsen!) and have heard them frmo the halls in the amp show etc. I foolishly chalked them up to just a Dumble/fender esque company.

I heard a few amps they brought and was impressed, stellar cleans, nice fendery tweed and brown OD' tones, etc. Nice stuff, but not my bag. Was chatting with Keith and I said, don't bother I'm a marshall guy. he grinned and plugged me into the Magica.

Eff me. That amp is the balls.

The clean tone was beautiful..fendery or you could nudge it into JTM/Tweed tones. Lovely.

Hit channel two and I could get anything from nice round kickin 50 watt plexi lead tone with a better eq, add a boost, dial it up to 2204 sounds and back, and still kick strait over to that dead lush clean without losing anyhthing.

Then Keith and Henry showed me the boost/3rd? Channel. Modded marshall baddasery. Really took it up a level. Held together, got some great 'rawk' tones that split the diff between Modern and vintage nicely. Just enough bass, didn't kill ya. Really nice tones. Pretty much every good marshall in a box, with a foot switch change away to a great clean.

I was thoroughly impressed.

And then I realized I was JUST running through a 1x12. it sounded effing HUGE.

AND THE FEEL WAS RIGHT

This is hard to do IMO...so many guys want that fender/marshall in a box but the feel is a compromise the wrong direction.

Not here. Felt like a marshall. It also cleaned up with volume control BETTER than any old Marshall I've played,.

I also enjoyed the bluesmaster combo? VeryJTM/Blonde ish tones., But the magica really floored me.

For guys that want a compact, marshall and clean in a box head that sounds HUGE They got a winner with this one.

Well done guys.

Oh I was playing a Korina thorn with humbuckers I'm familar w ith the whole time, and compatred to my JTM45 build..(before I blew it up. LOL)

Good show Redplate!

Tone Jones likes this.
  2. Garnett

Garnett Member

Yes big mike, yes! The new M amps from RedPlate are incredible! I have had an opportunity to play thru it, the Magica, and its little brother. Juicy, harmonically rich Marshall tones hand made by RedPlate. Really, really good!

Cheers

3. big mike

I was REALLY impressed..

Chi was taking a vid.

4. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

Oh, come on now. Let's get a little Mike Herman action in here, too.

5. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I love this amp, and was also at Ron's and gave it a spin. The sound is nice and toothy, and the controls are designed right, so no extreme settings are needed to get a nice splashy trashy British bark that feels like home for us Marshall nuts.

I wish I'd brought a 4 x 12" to run it with. Separate E.Q. for clean and dirty, and the high headroom clean sound can be pushed into the steely area that Marshall cleans inhabit. Like all the Redplates, it's voiced around the good old Vintage 30, and fits well with that speaker. The way the foot-switch is set up you get four voices to work with and they all sound natural and optimized. You can go from pretty Fendery clean, up to a beelzebub howling scream, seemingly without any stomp boxes.

There's a loop, and the one we played was a fifty watt and reasonable to carry, more compact than a stack amp.

I think the other one you played Mike,was a Blues Machine with KT-88? KT-66 tubes??, which also sounded great. Simeon's amp is a slightly modded RP50? Also great sounding, and I liked the understated cosmetics of Simeon's the most. Keith biased up the RP50 that Dana's been running and it sounds fine too. Henry and Keith are on this stuff tight, and making great amps.

6. Yossi

Yossi Member

That's a great demo video. I already have two Redplates, this is giving me serious GAS!

7. big mike

Absolutely. That Blues machine I think was KT66's. Really great tones.
    Great to see ya Mark! Thanks for letting me run your rig!

8. JiMB

JiMB Member

Nice sounding amp!

9. woof*

woof* Member

Nice playing Mike.

10. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

How about the Savoy... baby brother? Anyone try?

11. big mike

Didn't have one with him. It wasn't a booth at Namm, they just brought a couple amps to the party.

12. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Can you add a loop for effects or is this frowned on?

13. big mike

Magica? I believe he said it 'had' to have a loop for the master to work right?

14. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that's right. From talking to Keith I learned that the master on Redplates is actually the loop return.

I'm a proud owner of a Redplate Bluesmachine 66 combo. Fits my Tweed JTM needs perfectly. I agree that it's amazing to have that touch sensitive awesome cranked amp type of overdrive, then an equally amazing clean tone a click away.

15. Garnett

Garnett Member

That's my personal favorite. The Savoy is the amp I want really bad! I played thru it at the RP shop and was blown away.! Again, the way I think a Marshall should sound, fantastic! RedPlate, Yes!

16. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Another Rp is in my future.
    Great sounding amps, great customer service, great sounds!!!!

17. straightblues

straightblues Member

Was RedPlate showing at NAMM? I saw Henry walking but he was busy talking to someone and so was I so I never got a chance to say hi. I never saw their booth if they had one.

18. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Supporting Member

I don't think they had a booth at NAMM.

19. big mike

20. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I played the Magica at last years LA Amp show and I loved the amp. It was awesome. Henry and Keith were able to make both the clean and the OD channels shine! The clean channel had a mid voice control that allowed you to get either scooped, medium, or mid-focused cleans. The OD channel had two modes: crunch and hot rod, plus a boost too... Buffered loop, depth control....

What more could you ask for? They knocked it out of the park with this amp IMO...:drool