RedPlate RP50R for Dumble OD Tones?

Stan Malinowski

Gold Supporting Member
Within the RedPlate line, I'm thinking that the RP50R Drive Channel is a pretty good choice to cop the Dumble OD Tone.

RedPlate Owners/Fans: What's your choice?

lemonpaul59

Within the RedPlate line, I'm thinking that the RP50R Drive Channel is a pretty good choice to cop the Dumble OD Tone.

I have a Blackverb Duo. It was the predecessor of the RP50. This Blackverb has 2 overdrives. One more Marshall sounding, the other supposedly Dumble sounding. I've never been able to get a Dumble like sound out of it. I actually prefer the Marshall side, which is really weird for me.

Part of the problem could be the speaker, it came with a V30. Famous Dumble users don't use V30s. I have no idea why Henry equips his amps with V30s for people looking for a Dumble type sound.

I love the amp, but it doesn't sound like Robben Ford's Dumble. I've even used Henry's exact settings to emulate a Dumble sound, no luck. In that regard, I am a bit disappointed. I think I get a more realistic Dumble sound from my Ethos pedal.

The clean channel is fantastic, and the 2 overdrives are cascade-able. It is a great amp. Just not a Dumble clone.

lemonpaul59

The whole Dumble sound thing is the biggest can of worms in the guitar world.

A couple of years ago, I saw Larry Carlton with a Bludotone. First time I'd seen him with the Bludo, instead of his Dumble or Boogie. I hated the sound of Carlton and Bludo. Seems Larry has mellowed much in his old age, doesn't crank the overdrive at all these days.

I've seen a demonstration video from Wildwood Guitars, featuring Greg Koch playing a Bludotone, and his sound was fantastic.

Henry's Classic Overdrive, seems to be much more of a Dumble clone than his other Redplate offerings:
http://www.redplateamps.com/rphd100.html
I have no experience with it other than the videos on his website. They sound more like a Dumble than my Blackverb.

Puckbucker

I have a Blackverb (not the duo). Never played a Dumble and - although I have my "idea" of what they sound like - I'm no expert. I've heard Robben and Larry C live with Dumbles so have some idea but that's not the same as playing them. I also have a V30. I originally had a Swamp Thang paird with my Blackverb but preferred the V30, which as lemonpaul says, is not an archetypal speaker for D style amps.

I sort of agree with lemonpaul 59. I can get a great OD tone I like on the "D" setting of the Blackverb's mode control and there are some "D" type tones there but I don't know how they would compare with a Fuchs, Bludotone, Glaswerks or other D style amp, which I suspect would be closer. I do think the overdrive is great once I learned how to set it up. it's not a "Marshall" style OD and I find it unique -but good. It's less a distortion feel than adding some really crackle and snap to the tones - very authoritative.
On cleans there is a bit of chirp to the D setting but I don't think it will make you sound just like Robben Ford. It's in the neighborhood but I think its distinct and I don't think the amp was designed with the view that it would be a D clone amp - or even a blackface clone amp. It has its own thing going and has those flavors, but it's unique. And it is a great amp.

Stan Malinowski

Gold Supporting Member
Lemon & Puck,

Thanks for the input!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma - I just have TOO many amps and need to consolidate.

Presently I have:
  • Fuchs ODS 30 which covers that D Tone.
  • RedPLate RP50R which covers my Need for Tweed and Blackface Tones
  • RedPlate Magica which is sensational for Blackface and Marshall Clean/Crunch Tones
  • Mesa Mark V 25 when I revisit the 90's
  • 4 Germinos (Yes 4) which more than Cover My Need to Relive my Days of Youth in the 70s!

I find that I rarely use the Fuchs anymore, since I'm more into Blackface & Marshall Tones. The logical choice is to sell the Fuchs and try to cop the general D Flavor with the RP50R either by tweaking it's Drive Channel to get in the vicinity of a D Tone (as Puckbucker feels is possible) or to use a ZenDrive or The Dude pedal in the RP50R or the Magica Clean Channel.

I also find that some clips of a "Dumble Amp/Pedal sound great and others sound so unappealing that I wonder what all the fuss is about!

Another option is to use my Fractal AXE on those very rare occasions where I feel the need for "D Tone". Gigging I have found no need for a D Tone as the Germino & RedPlate are my gigging amps. Maybe the Fractal would be OK for the job.

Ramblin Hymns

I had Henry put at his suggestion an input xformer in my RP50PRO because I wanted to try the EL-34 clean sound of the Magica. It sounds great but it also takes KT-88 which I have in it now and it has a chimey sound that sounds good to. That turned out to be one heck of an amp. It also has that nice EL-34 od sound. Now as far as I know; the RPPRO has a RED PLATE sound which really isn't a dumble but just a very good one. I don't give all thoughs descriptive words. It's either good or bad or so, so.

lemonpaul59

I have a Blackverb (not the duo). Never played a Dumble and - although I have my "idea" of what they sound like - I'm no expert. I've heard Robben and Larry C live with Dumbles so have some idea but that's not the same as playing them. I also have a V30. I originally had a Swamp Thang paird with my Blackverb but preferred the V30, which as lemonpaul says, is not an archetypal speaker for D style amps.

I sort of agree with lemonpaul 59. I can get a great OD tone I like on the "D" setting of the Blackverb's mode control and there are some "D" type tones there but I don't know how they would compare with a Fuchs, Bludotone, Glaswerks or other D style amp, which I suspect would be closer. I do think the overdrive is great once I learned how to set it up. it's not a "Marshall" style OD and I find it unique -but good. It's less a distortion feel than adding some really crackle and snap to the tones - very authoritative.
On cleans there is a bit of chirp to the D setting but I don't think it will make you sound just like Robben Ford. It's in the neighborhood but I think its distinct and I don't think the amp was designed with the view that it would be a D clone amp - or even a blackface clone amp. It has its own thing going and has those flavors, but it's unique. And it is a great amp.

Hey Puck, bigtime Carlton and Ford fan here. Since the late 1970s. Some of my favorite Larry tone was with a Boogie Mark I, and a volume pedal.

I saw Carlton about a year and a half ago at Yoshi's, playing a Bludotone. He hardly used any overdrive, and the amp just did NOT float my boat. Recently, I've seen Greg Koch playing a Bludotone for Wildwood Guitars. He sounded great, although hard to say if it was Dumbly accurate. I loved the sound. For 6 grand or so, it better sound good.

I got my Blackverb Duo for $2000. A deal I could not refuse.

Puckbucker

Stan: Wish I had an answer for you. I looked hard at a Fuchs before I got the Redplate - either would have been a great amp. I only used my ZenDrive with it once (when I had the Swamp Thang speaker) and it sounded pretty darn good so try that first. BTW the Blackverb is just the RP50R minus the tweed channel (at least that is my understanding).

Lemonpaul (great avator btw). I have only seen Larry once (pre-Bludotone) and Robben 2x plus once at a clinic in Ojai where he just played through a good old Deluxe Reverb. Both great players for sure. Haven't seen Larry live in some time. When I did I dont' recall much OD on his tone but it was sure sweet.

Cheers.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I've had a Two Rock Emerald Pro, a Fuchs ODS 50, now a Redplate Blackverb and a Ceriatone Overtone Special. I've also played two Dumble's, that sounded nothing like each other BTW. I have no idea which is the most Dumbly but I can say:
  • The TR was the hardest to dial in and impossible to get a great clean and OD dialed in at the same time
  • The Fuchs may have the richest sounding OD of the bunch, at least once you dial in the internal gain trimmer.
  • Replate - stronger in the cleans than the OD. Not as smooth as the Fuchs and sounds best at lower gain settings
  • Ceriatone - Very round warm tone and perhaps the closest to what I hear from Robben's OD tone. A real surprise.

bluesytone

Take a look at the BlueMachine 66. I've owned a ceriatone overtone special and a Fuchs ODS and I found the Redplate BM66 to be much more versatile at all volume levels and I'm able to get Fendery cleans, dumbly overdrive and Marshally overdrive. The Fuchs overdrive was probably the smoothest, the ceriatone had the most chirp.. But he BM66 has better cleans, better edge of,breakup tones and gets me into both the Dumble and Marshall tones with the switches on it.

Ramblin Hymns

I can agree about the BM66 but the RP's still have their own thing going on and that is what makes them so great. I haven't played a dumble but I do own 4 RP's and they have character and do their own thing.

Stan Malinowski

Gold Supporting Member
I can agree about the BM66 but the RP's still have their own thing going on and that is what makes them so great. I haven't played a dumble but I do own 4 RP's and they have character and do their own thing.
Agree, the RP50R does have its own thing going on, and for that reason I would never sell it.

Henry sent me some recommended settings on how to get in D-Territory with the Tweed Channel on my RP. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to try it out.

In my case getting into D-Territory is akin to being in the same city as opposed to being on the same cul-de-sac street! Doesn't have to be exact Dumble (Questionable whether anyone can accurately define that anyway!) but just contain certain elements of the D-Tone in particular the clean but thick (but not muddy mids). When I really think about it, I have gotten these tones from my RP using a Mythical Overdrive Klon Klone. I need to revist this setup again, especially with Henry's recommended settings.

I also have a Rockett "The Dude" on the way from a fellow TGPer. There are a couple of YouTube Videos, one from Shaun Tubbs & another from Rockett Themselves (the on using the guitarist from Lonestar) that nail the Dumble tonal aspects I'm after. Hope it gets here for the weeknd!

golfnutt67

Take a look at the BlueMachine 66. I've owned a ceriatone overtone special and a Fuchs ODS and I found the Redplate BM66 to be much more versatile at all volume levels and I'm able to get Fendery cleans, dumbly overdrive and Marshally overdrive. The Fuchs overdrive was probably the smoothest, the ceriatone had the most chirp.. But he BM66 has better cleans, better edge of,breakup tones and gets me into both the Dumble and Marshall tones with the switches on it.
Are you running KT66 in your BM? I have been intrigued by these. They look and sound pretty versatile.

Ramblin Hymns

Yes I do. They are the same tubes that H2 put in there from the beginning. I love their tone. I will try a nos set one day but those are high dollar tubes. I really don't think you could get any better sound that the GL 66's. It's a nice production tube IMO.

nospickups

Silver Supporting Member
I have a black n blues and it gets a killer dumble style overdrive. This model has independent black face and tweed preamp feeding the overdrive.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I've never played a Dumble and not sure what I was expecting, but I absolutely hated the "D-style" setting on my RP40 drive channel. I didn't really like anything about that channel, to tell the truth.

lemonpaul59

I've never played a Dumble and not sure what I was expecting, but I absolutely hated the "D-style" setting on my RP40 drive channel. I didn't really like anything about that channel, to tell the truth.
You're telling us, you could not dial in a gain sound you liked with the RP40 ? You really tried your best and knew it wasn't for you?

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
You're telling us, you could not dial in a gain sound you liked with the RP40 ? You really tried your best and knew it wasn't for you?
The drive channel wasn't for me. Henry's recommended "D" setting did nothing for me and Keith's "classic rock" setting didn't, either. I couldn't find anything I liked very much outside of those.

The tweed channel was fine and the blackface was good, although I think it was a little too clever for its own good with all the midrange choices and presence switch and HB switch thing.

Nice amp, if not a little sterile. Hard to describe but I never really bonded with the feel of it. Lots of tube rattle, too, with the power tubes being like an inch off the speaker.

lemonpaul59

Lemon & Puck,

Thanks for the input!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma - I just have TOO many amps and need to consolidate.

Presently I have:
  • Fuchs ODS 30 which covers that D Tone.
  • RedPLate RP50R which covers my Need for Tweed and Blackface Tones
  • RedPlate Magica which is sensational for Blackface and Marshall Clean/Crunch Tones
  • Mesa Mark V 25 when I revisit the 90's
  • 4 Germinos (Yes 4) which more than Cover My Need to Relive my Days of Youth in the 70s!

I find that I rarely use the Fuchs anymore, since I'm more into Blackface & Marshall Tones. The logical choice is to sell the Fuchs and try to cop the general D Flavor with the RP50R either by tweaking it's Drive Channel to get in the vicinity of a D Tone (as Puckbucker feels is possible) or to use a ZenDrive or The Dude pedal in the RP50R or the Magica Clean Channel.

I also find that some clips of a "Dumble Amp/Pedal sound great and others sound so unappealing that I wonder what all the fuss is about!

Another option is to use my Fractal AXE on those very rare occasions where I feel the need for "D Tone". Gigging I have found no need for a D Tone as the Germino & RedPlate are my gigging amps. Maybe the Fractal would be OK for the job.
Stan, have you tried an Ethos pedal? I'd love to hear your thoughts compared to some favorite Fractal D-style settings. Team up the Ethos with a Straymon Blue Sky and the world is your oyster. That's some excellent portability. Ethos makes 30 watt amps too, in a separate package or a single package. The clean channel on the Ethos is fantastic too, great for jazz guitar and acoustic guitars. It always stays clean.

Trending Topics