RedPlate TruVerb

MHG

I just wanted to start a new thread on this amp, as the other TruVerb thread was derailed by a ridiculous post. Lets keep this one focused on the amp please! I'm about to lay down my deposit and can't wait to try it! Also, if you've tried the Open Range, feel free to comment on the clean channel, as it's apparently identical to the TrueVerb in terms of tone. Any info would be much appreciated.

D. Robinson

Are you only looking for a clean platform? If not, Henry can build you a Blackverb or BlackverbDuo/OpenRange with the lows selector like on the TruVerb. My custom BlackverbDuo/OpenRange like this should be shipping today, I can report back at the end of next week or something with a tone report.

Boutique Guitar Exchange has a great video of the TruVerb on youtube with a Peter Stroud guitar model, you should check that out if you haven't. Ben is a great player!

MHG

Yeah I'm going with the pedal platform. I owned the Stardust a few years ago, and wasn't too happy about the shift in mids when engaging the drive channels. Don't get me wrong, the drive channels sounded absolutely amazing, but when I switched back to the clean channel, the cleans sounded too thin due to the fact that my ears had adjusted to the increased mids of the drive sections.......So I loved all the channels individually, but wasn't quite happy when switching between channels. Another TGP member who owns the Open Range indicated that I would probably encounter the same problems with that amp as well...............though he absolutely loves his and couldn't be happier with it! The increased mids just seems to be the inherent nature of the D-style overdrive. If I really really love the TrueVerb, I'll probably consider getting the Open Range as well. I definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts. The last week is always the hardest part of the wait!!!!

MHG

Ok, deposit payed!!! I went with the head and 2x12 cab loaded with Swamp Thangs. Can't wait to try it!!!!

MHG

Are you only looking for a clean platform? If not, Henry can build you a Blackverb or BlackverbDuo/OpenRange with the lows selector like on the TruVerb. My custom BlackverbDuo/OpenRange like this should be shipping today, I can report back at the end of next week or something with a tone report.

Boutique Guitar Exchange has a great video of the TruVerb on youtube with a Peter Stroud guitar model, you should check that out if you haven't. Ben is a great player!
How do you like the amp? My TruVerb arrived today!!! Head with Swamp Thang 2x12 cab.....Bruno Marvelon Tolex with the beige/brown grill. The color combination gives me an old school Magnatone-ish kind of vibe. I'm absolutely blown away by this amp! The tone and feel are just amazing!!! Though it's just a single channel clean amp, there are sooooo many tonal variations to be dialed in! I haven't even come close to trying all the possibilities. I'm really excited about having this kind of control over my clean tone......haven't tried any dirt pedals yet! The reverb is fantastic! It's rich and deep with the perfect tail!......relatively short, which is my preference. It doesn't get in your way. I'll return with some more detailed observations after I've spent some more time with the amp, but my initial impressions are extremely favorable. I've definitely found "my" RedPlate!!!

Last edited:

D. Robinson

I definitely dig the amp. Having it side by side with the Stardust is rather interesting. In raw bruteforce power/clean, the Stardust definitely takes the cake. The volume at 1 on the Stardust is easily as loud as 4 or 5 on the new amp.

Feel wise, there is something seductive about the blackface style clean channel, with several options like you mention for shaping the tone. I love the sound with the treble at about 3, mids at 7, and the bass at 4. Having the two overdrives is nice! I'm taking it to a gig on April 4th, we will see how it sounds. I'll be taking the Stardust as a backup, because I know that amp slays in the mix.

MHG

I definitely dig the amp. Having it side by side with the Stardust is rather interesting. In raw bruteforce power/clean, the Stardust definitely takes the cake. The volume at 1 on the Stardust is easily as loud as 4 or 5 on the new amp.

Feel wise, there is something seductive about the blackface style clean channel, with several options like you mention for shaping the tone. I love the sound with the treble at about 3, mids at 7, and the bass at 4. Having the two overdrives is nice! I'm taking it to a gig on April 4th, we will see how it sounds. I'll be taking the Stardust as a backup, because I know that amp slays in the mix.

Glad to hear you like the amp. What speakers are you using with your RedPlates?

D. Robinson

I run a 3x12 setup. A 2x12 cab with ASW Elegantes and a 1x12 cab with an EV12L. I get punch with the EV and some sweet compression with the Elegantes. I really like the ceramic/alnico mix for now.

MHG

By far the best Master volume I've encountered! Takes pedals extremely well!!!

PLAYLOUD

Ok, deposit payed!!! I went with the head and 2x12 cab loaded with Swamp Thangs. Can't wait to try it!!!!

Swamp Thangs are a perfect fit for this amp. Probably one for best clean amps I've ever heard. Good choice.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Although I play a Kemper these days, some of my favorite tones are from my profiled Redplate amps!!

MHG

I played it through a few different cabs today. 2x12 with V30's, 2x12 with a Gold/G12H-Anniversary mix, and a 2x12 with a Jenson Lightning and a Black Falcon(alnico). It sounded amazing with every cab. The "mids" and "Lows" controls worked like magic when switching between different cabs/speakers! This is one amazing amp!!!

MHG

Do you have the push pull master volume?
Sorry, I didn't see your question. No, it's not a Push Pull master. This is probably the first amp I've ever played where I may actually prefer the master at less than 100% on the dial. I find myself keeping it around 6 or 7 at the moment. I also tried it with a few more cabs. 1x12 closed back Jenson Neo100, and a 2x12 Forte Vertical with Creambacks. It sounded amazing through both cabs. I was particularly surprised how good it sounded through the Creambacks. Basically, I just can't find a speaker that doesn't sound amazing with this amp! That's a really unique, and useful, attribute!!!

D. Robinson

6 or 7 on the master? That must be fairly loud ( and maybe a bit noisey?). Gives me reassurance that the blackface topology just must not have the same perceived power/gain as the tweed since I've been running the master on my custom amp way higher than the master on the stardust. What a sound though. Glad you are digging the TruVerb. Are you running it with the presence bypassed?

MHG

It's fairly loud, but the actual volume knob is set very low. I've been playing it in my studio/boiler room, which is a fairly large room with about 20' ceilings. I can definitely get away with a bit more volume due to the size of the room. I tried it with a Scumback 4x12 M75-65's, Tone Tubby H-Bomb 2x12, and a 2x12 with Weber 12F150's. Again, they all sounded great! I don't have the Presence bypassed. I don't remember exactly, but I think I usually keep it around 6 or 7 as well.......depending on the cab. I have to experiment a bit more with the Presence bypass, Raw, and the Deep functions though.

MHG

I'm well out of the Honeymoon stage, and still loving my TruVerb! My go to cab at the moment is a RP 2x12 with a RWB's on the bottom, and a G1265 on top. Just a great match. I had a 1x12 with a RWB's, and 1x12 with a G1265 for a few years. When switching back and forth between the two, each speaker left me wanting more of something. I loved the clarity of the G1265, and the feel and low end of the RWB's. They really do compliment each other really well, but the RWB's probably dominates the feel of the cab. If you don't like the feel of the RWB's, this combination may not be for you. The cab sounds great at all volumes, but when you get some volume behind it, the RWB's really starts to do it's thing. I had the Volume a bit over 6, and the Master at 7, and the tone was heavenly. The RWB's is relatively warm, and has a very unique feel.......which you'll either love or hate. The resulting tone and feel of adding the RWB's to the G1265, makes me think immediately of Ford/Carlton tone. It's almost like the voicing of the amp is switched to the thicker, tighter, Ford/Carlton voicing. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely love it.

BelgPJ

It's almost like the voicing of the amp is switched to the thicker, tighter, Ford/Carlton voicing. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely love it.
I too feel the love ..

Congrats on the amp / speaker combo. My G12/75's (Marshall Anniversary 4X12 / 1936 2X12) "work" with all my current amps, but are not "ideal" for them individually. On the lookout for more options ..

The RP Aurora loves Marshalls however - it's Brit voicing and EL34 power section doubtless contribute to that match

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
I was close to ordering a custom build a couple of years back ...but there was always something interesting on TGP used for half the price so I took a few detours and still haven`t landed the big one. My old Blackverb was great but I wanted more clean headroom and I got a bit lost behind all the switches. My close call with Henry was a TruVerb as simple as possible with 2 kt88`s ..I still wonder what that would have sounded like.

Trending Topics