Redplate tweedyverb speaker question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lilsam, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Lilsam

Lilsam Supporting Member

Has anyone tried a cannabis rex speaker in the tweedyverb and if so what was your experience? Currently, mine has a WGS special designed 80 watt speaker in it. Thanks in advance.

2. Lilsam

Lilsam Supporting Member

3. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

Curious too, although the V30 in my TweedyDrive works well.

4. hippdogs

hippdogs Member

I have an original Redplate TweedyVerb, and dropped in a Celestion G12 Century Vintage 60W, with a Neodymium magnet. Total weight of the combo? 34.5 lbs. That's with a custom padded cover. This little monster pumps out 40 watts with 2 6L6's, Combined with my G&L ASAT special, I am in heaven. Put a mic in front of it an I can play anywhere. I've been breaking my back for years, and now, I carry it any and everywhere. Go Henry!

Tramp likes this.
  5. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

Bumping this thread 'cuz I'd love to hear more from guys who've dropped Neo speakers in their Tweedyverb or similar RP combo. I have a Gold in mine now. Great speaker, but it needs to be cranked to give up the goods and weighs nearly 10 lbs on its own. Dropping 6+ lbs would be a very big deal for me. Thanks!

6. Tramp

Put the Century Vintage in my TW a couple of days ago and like what I'm hearing so far. It's hard to describe what I didn't like about the Gold in this amp at low volumes--maybe too bright and too glassy. (It was exceptional cranked.). The CV seems more neutral so far, which I appreciate in an amp that's as versatile as this. Still haven't put it through its paces at volume, though. (For the record, Henry told me he likes the Li'l Texas in this amp.)

I'm with hippdogs on the weight. Mid 30s for a tube combo of this power is great.

7. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

I have heard a wgs g12 c/s, a wgs v30 , and a Celestine v30.

I preferred the wgs by a mile. The c/s is very nice.

8. Tramp

Curious to hear what you all are running in your TVs.