Reducing ones daily habit spending could help to get more gear :-)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jazzandmore, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Obviously most of us have limited funds after we take care of necessities. But some of those funds dribble out a little at a time, without really being noticed, and reducing our gear buying potential :confused:

Daily spending examples:
    Coffee/Starbucks
    Energy drinks
    Breakfast fast food
    Lunch (not made at home)
    Snacks/junk food
    Cigarettes

Weekly spending examples: bar/club

Sure it may just be $1-5 per day for the daily spending, but that's $365-1825 a year. And hitting the bar/club weekly certainly isn't cheap.

So many times threads focus on gear cost. But compared to money spent on daily habits, maybe that new pedal, those pickups you've been wanting, or those cables you are curious about really aren't such a big expense. And gear you really like brings joy for years to come.

People should enjoy what they want to of course, but I think people often don't realize how much is spent on those daily habits and how quickly it adds up. And none of those things lasts more than a few hours. That money could be getting you some great gear instead!

That's just my philosophy of course ;)

2. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I just eat my old gear.

kristian likes this.
  3. Marris Otter

Marris Otter Member

Ooooh, look at Mr. Fancy man eating out of a big fancy dumpster. Too good to chase your own food through the sewers like the rest of us?

ohiomatt33, Jack Keck and kristian like this.
  4. Marris Otter

Marris Otter Member

Fine, you, your sweet dumpster breath, and your damned boutique gear win this time. If you need me I'll be skulking down in the sewer with my Line 6 combo. But I'll have you know, it sounds as good as any Dumble amp.

5. 0018g

0018g Member

Last year, my ticker went to hell and I had to modify everything I did as far as eating.

After I got back to work, I bought a 4003S bass, some nice pedals, some other gear-amazing how much money I had after I quit buying crap and shoving it down my gaping maw. As a bonus I lost 70 lbs. Thankfully, I had good insurance so I didn't get crucified on the medical bills.

kristian and Jazzandmore like this.
  6. Jazzandmore

Well I got no wife, no kids, drive a beater, and eat oatmeal everyday....have a Dimble though...or is it a Bumble?

kristian likes this.
  7. Jazzandmore

Most important thing is you made some changes that made your health better, that is great! And as a bonus you can have some things you enjoy, and hopefully have healthy days ahead to enjoy playing it. :)