1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reeves 50 watt Custom review!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrisGrisFunk, Feb 7, 2006.

1. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Hey interested people!

Well I finally dragged myself away from the Reeves to give my review. I didn't want to give the review right away because I think people do that too quickly! Then you wind up seeing the same person selling the amp a month later LOL.

Anyway, back to the Reeves. Let me open up by saying this amp is one of the best amps I've played through. I sold my Germino Classic 45 to buy this thing. I have to say I was quite nervous, but really intrigued by this amp. I've always wanted to try a Hiwatt amp, but I always ended up playing through a Marshall or some type of Fender (Super Reverb, Twin, etc.)amp. I don't know why I waited this long!

Let me say that I'm a big Gilmour fan, so that has some things to do with it. But the good thing is that this amp has a voice all it's own. Which is what I was looking for. I loved my Germino, and I do miss it greatly! But I can't picture myself playing through anything else after playing through this. My wife even commented and said that "the amp sounds really good and clean sounding". That's how I would basically describe it. The cleans are the best I've heard, period. I thought nothing could beat a Fender. But my theory has changed completely.

The amp is a 50 watt. It can be pretty loud, but does sound great at lower volumes too. I was really happy about this. I was planning on sending this amp back to Bill when he starts offering the power scaling feature to the vintage series amps. But no need to. It sounds superb!

This amp is very very clean. There is a break up, but not until you reach crazy volume. But I love the clean headroom. I'm using overdrives and distortion pedals for this. Let me say this, the amp absolutely loves pedals.

Someone who is looking for an amp that is looking for an amp for a clean slate kind of thing to lay there pedals over, look no further. This is the amp for you.

This amp gets other tones aside from Gilmour. It definately has the classic rock vibe. I can get a nice Rush "Hemispheres" sound, amongst other stuff. I know Lifeson used Hiwatts during that period. But it also gets that Townsend tone also.

There isn't much more I can say, this amp just belts out tone like crazy. It's a simple clean amp. But the best clean tone you can imagine. I have a Strat with WCR SR pickups and a Gibson Les Paul with WCR Darkbursts. They sound truly phenominal through this amp.

Pedal wise, my chain is this, Ernie Ball Volume>Keeley Compressor>Boss TU-2>Cornish P-2>Cornish SS-2>Coloursound Power Boost>Fulltone Clyde>Analogman A-B switch>A goes to a Electric Mistress Flanger>B goes to a Maxon AD900 Analog Delay> then into the Reeves 50 Custom (combo 1X12). It sounds Godly, let me tell you! :dude

Mike

2. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

What did I tell you? I told you Hiwatts were the best clean sounding amps around. And I told you that now I want one too! Shame on you. Post some pics if you can for all of us. Glad you did the Reeves. I'm still hoping they'll come out with a 50 watt version of the CP-103 Townsend amp, with power scaling. Wouldn't that freakin' rock?! :dude

3. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Yep, my Harry Joyce custom 30 has some AMAZING cleans. (okay, an HJ isn't technically a hiwatt/reeves, but it's in the same family.) I have a TTE permanently engaged in the fx loop and it just kills. Percussive but not brash. The HJ is definitely a special amp.

That said, I'm definitely considering picking up a Reeves custom 30. gotta check out the power scaling, etc.. on that amp. I spent some time with the reeves studio/stage and was very impressed. It was a combo with the ceramic fanes and nailed the townshend vibe for me.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

GrisGrisFunk,

Congratulations on your Reeves and amp and thanks for posting your review. I've had a Reeves Custom 6 for a couple of months now and have not posted a proper review yet. I've also had to send the cab off for re-Tolexing because I biffed it, so had a chance to pull the chassis and checkout the innards. Beautiful work.

It's strange that you don't hear more about the Reeves amps, because I think they sound great. My Custom 6 screams and is quite loud fand big sounding for a low watt amp. Beautiful creamy distortion. Doesn't sound like a Hiwatt necessarily but a great sounding amp all the same.

5. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

You were right! I give you that brutha! I'll have to take some pics of this amp, I definately plan on it. Then I have to figure how to get it on here. I don't remember exactly how to do it. I know it was tricky awhile back when I tried to post some pics on here. But it will get done. I just have to figure out how to make the time and drag myself away from the amp! :D

Mike

6. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I would definately recommend this amp to anyone. Especially anyone who is bored with the whole Marshall/Fender thing. I know I was!!! I just wished I checked out Hiwatts along time ago. The Reeves is a keeper!

Mike

7. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

8. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp. A few years back I had one of the first Harry Joyce 50 watters. What a muscular amp. Amazing cleans is right and never falls apart at higher volumes the way other amps do. I found that mine loved pedals and any kind of guitar that I threw at it. My LEs Paul loved it as did my Tele. The SG Jr. was THE one though. It had the Pete thing in spades!

9. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

yeah, i've got a new hj head coming in anytime now. i know it ain't a hiwatt, but like the other guy said, it's in the same family! i initially got turned onto it after wanting a hiwatt head(for their cleans and muscular overdrive). and i wanted something different then marshall(fow now).

and i know this hj isn't built by harry but it's being built with the same guys that worked with him. i got a message from member sblue saying that his harry joyce 50 watter(recently sent to charles and updated to new specs) absolutely kills! and after i heard rich robinson in chicago this past halloween i just new i had to try the amp out. it was the most humungous live crunch sound! so sweat to my ears.

10. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Charles and Co. are building Harry Joyce's or George Scholz? They were working on doing a "Vintage Gain" or somesuch head, but lost track.

I got my HJ for the same reason; heard Rich Robinson in his short-lived band Hookah Brown (they were awesome).

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The HJ's are beyond dope if you like that sound. I've heard nothing but good things about the Reeves amps too. That being said, I think an HJ is in my future. I miss my Custom 50, and think that it would be a sick companion to my Wizard :)

12. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

This is my belated pics of my new Reeves and some other things, best damn rig I've ever had!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:dude

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

14. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

GrisGrisFunk,

Thanks for the pics!

I have major gas for the Hiwatt Custom 50 and also have a Germino C45 by chance. Would you care to describe the differences/similarities between them. I'm not looking for better or worse, just to get a handle on the Hiwatt tone as the nearest one to me here is a 5hr road trip away... ;) Or will it be a Reeves...

Thanks!
    Chris

PS Especially interested in how singles and hums react with the amp.

15. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Gotta love Hiwatts and their offspring.... My '79 DR504 is my baby......

16. Nativ H

Nativ H Member

Never tried a Reeves but had a '75 Hiwatt DR103 up until about a year ago, and still have a Hiwatt 4x12. I think one reason you don't hear lots of folks raving about these amps is that they are too articulate for sloppy players. All that killer attack and immediacy to their response, will show up sloppy play like there is no tomorrow. Got to love them for their killer tone and they are truly pedal friendly, but if you don't have it in your fingers, it'll show for sure.

I know that I will be adding one to my stash again when funds allow. I really love a nice Marshall head through a Hiwatt 4x12 also. One aggressive sounding rig for sure.

17. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Hey Chris,

Being a former Classic 45 owner, I think there are alot of differences than there is similiarities. The Reeves is one clean machine! The best cleans I've heard from any amp in my opinion. Even better than a Fender in my book. Especially if you like cleans from EL-34's, then this amp is for you.

I tend to rely on pedals for my dirty sounds, rhythm, lead, etc. So this amp is perfect for a good solid clean foundation. If you are looking for a nice clean solid amp, then this is for you. If you are looking for something to break up and crunch, then I would stick with your Classic 45 for that.

The Reeves just sounds tonally different than the 45. It is a very balanced clean. I think the 45 could be a little bottom heavy for my taste. I DID love the 45 at high volumes. I used to play mine at around 8ish. But the Germino needed to be played like that to sound it's best. Also, the 45 didn't stay clean enough for me at high volumes. So that's why I went with the Reeves. I still want to get another Germino in the future though!

As for the Reeves, it's clean, very chimey but never too ear piercing. It's actually kind of bright and thick at the same time, it's actually a hard amp to describe tonally. Hearing is believing I guess! Wattage wise, the 50 watts is louder than my old 45 naturally, with a hell of alot more headroom, even with the 1x12. BUT, it even sounds great at low volumes! I know Bill at Reeves Amplification is going to offer his power scaling feature on the 50 watt Custom very soon, so that is a thought as well. I thought about having the mode done, but I'm leaving the amp as is, it sounds great just the way it is.

For guitars, both sound superb through the Reeves. I have Wagner pickups fitted in both of my guitars, so that contributes to some of my tone too. The Reeves lets the true tone shine through. As someone else said in this thread, it will show up any sloppy playing. It is very true to the tone and to the players playing ability. But I'm sure you know about that because that is one of the similiarities the Germino and Reeves has.

The Strat sounds bright but not too bright through the Reeves. The bridge position sounds better through this amp than the 45. It's not as bright as the 45 and a little more balanced throughout. My fav positions are position 1,2, and 5. Even position 3 is damn good as well. Like I said, if you have good quality pickups, the Reeves will squeeze every ounce of tone through.

The Gibson sounds great as well. At loud volumes I can get a bit of crunch out of the amp, but just a hint. I love every pickup position through this amp. I used to be primarily a Strat player, but after playing my Les Paul through the Reeves, I enjoy playing both guitars equally now.

Also I should add that the Reeves sustains just as well as the Germino with nice controllable feedback. I guess that is another similarity. But they are two totally different beasts. One thing I can't figure out is how can Hiwatt and Hiwatt clones not be as popular as the ever so popular Marshall and Fender style amps? I can't figure it out, but, I'm sure glad I came across Reeves. Everyone is constantly commenting on my tone now, it's truly amazing amp!

OK, I have to go play now, hope this helps Chris. If you play through one, give me a shout, I would like to know what you think.

Mike

18. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

:BEER Cheers to that!

Mike

19. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Pedal friendly indeed! The best pedal friendly amp on the market today.

Mike

20. Tinman

Tinman Member

I'd like to hear some more reviews of this amp. Anybody? I wish the clips on the Reeves website were better. I can't imagine anyone buying the amp based soley on those clips.