Reeves 50 watt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrisGrisFunk, Jan 7, 2006.

1. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Ok, I have some gear sold and have cash to burn. I'm seriously looking to get a Reeves 50 watt custom. I talked to Bill from Reeves Amplification and I'm impressed. I think I'm going to go with a 1x12 combo fitted with a Vintage Purple 12" speaker.

I'm basically wanting that vintage Hiwatt clean. Just a solid clean to lay my overdrives and distortion/fuzzes over. Has anyone ever heard a Reeves 50 watt custom before? Just curious...I will post a review when I get one, I'm going to order it on Monday.

I was actually going nuts debating whether or not I should go with a Bruno Cowtipper (which sounds like a nice amp too), Allen Old Flame, or the Reeves. I chose the Reeves because I'm going with a Gilmourish kind of tone. Maybe someone can share their experience with a Reeves 50 custom, or a Hiwatt DR-504 for that matter. I hear they are pretty damn close in tone. Thanks for any replies!

Mike

2. alguit

alguit Guest

I own a Reeves Custom 50 and play it through several 4x12 cabs as well as a Zinky 2x12 and a Trutone 2x12. It is a wonderful sounding clean amp that takes pedals really well; most certainly, if going for a Gilmour-ish approach, this is one of the amps that will get you there. And if you get to crank it a bit with humbuckers, it crunches so nicely that it's hard to stop playing!

After I bought mine, I spoke to the owner of the Reeves company, and when I said to him, "this is a re-badged British-made Hiwatt, right?", he said, "yes."

They can't call them "Hiwatt" here because the Fernandes Corporation owns the name in the US, but for all intents and purposes, it is a Hiwatt!

3. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Cool, that's what I was hoping! :D

Mike

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I had a Joyce Custom 50 which is also basically a Hiwatt with a different badge (Harry Joyce worked for Hiwatt). It is *alot* different sounding than a Germino Classic 45. The Joyce was the loudest 50W amp I ever played. I would think that the Reeves 50 would need more than one 12" speaker.

Unless you are going to be playing stadiums, maybe you should look at the lower powered Reeves amps? Just a thought...

5. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I used to own an original 4-input Hiwatt DR504. Sweet amp at any volume. It had such a huge clean tone, again at very low or very high volumes. Once you get about 2/3 up (with the master volume full up) on the volume control, you will start to get that Live at Leeds grind-thing going. OK, now I miss it and want a Reeves 50 watt too! Shame on you! I've emailed Reeves before actually, and was told that they can add power scaling to the 50 watt head. I didn't get an upgraded price though. If you do, please post it for us.

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

As an FYI, the 1x12 combo will be very heavy. That Dr504 head was very heavy for a head. Those Partridge trannys are freaking humongous and heavy as lead!

7. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

*GuitarBrent*- Yeah I know the 1x12 is going to be heavy, but i'm not gigging anytime soon, so wherever I decided to put it, it's going to stay.

I'm going to have to ask Bill about the power scaling thing, I thought he was only offering that feature with the 18 watt and 30 watt heads. I'll let you know what happens after I talk to him. Thanks for the heads up! I am really going after a nice clean sound. How would you say the clean is, Fender like? I know Hiwatts have there own voice, I liked the Germino cleans, but I didn't love them. That's why I sold it. I did love the overdriven sound though. I actually would have never sold it but I couldn't afford a Germino and a Reeves unfortunately!
    I get the feeling this going to be a hell of an amp! :dude

Mike

8. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

*Riffmeister*- I bet that Harry Joyce was sweet. I wish they were still making them. They seem like a hard amp to come by these days.

I know the 50 watt is going to be loud, but after talking to Bill from Reeves, he said this amp sounds great at low volumes. Plus I'm not looking to get any grind from the amp. It's just going to be used as a clean slate kind of thing. BUT, I'm going to check out the power scaling thing, it will be worth it. Bill said if i'm going to go with a Gilmourish kind of tone, then the 50 watt would be perfect. I did mention the volume concern. He said it shouldn't be a problem with the way I'm going to use it.

I actually meant a 15" speaker... I'm thinking 12" because thats what I just sold in my Germino cab.

Oh yeah, let me know how different the Joyce was compared to the Germino, I'm really curious. I loved my Germino and hated to sell it, but I'm really intrigued with the Hiwatt tone. Maybe if I run into some money I can pick up a Club 40! Let me know your opinion! Thanks!

Mike

9. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Hey GuitarBrent,

I just got an e-mail from Bill at Reeves. He said the 50 watt custom doesn't come with the power scaling feature at the moment, but he will offer that option at a later date. So he said I can just send it to him for the mod when he starts doing it to the 50 watters.

He DID say that the 50 watt combos come in a 2x12 format, that sounds interesting to me! I think I might give that a whirl depending on price.

Mike

10. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

they are making harry joyce amps. i'm getting one in february. and no, it's not the matamp harry joyce. it's the same people that were working with harry before he died. email charles bertnozzi for info. his email can be found on the harmony central review for the harry joyce custom 50 head.

i already have a newer hj 2x12 cab that sounds monsterous. it makes my dr z rxes sound so much better all across the board. i've been playing the hj cab more then i have been playing my orange cab with heritage 30 watters.

11. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Having owned many vintage Fenders ('53 tweed Deluxe, '63 blond Bassman, '67 Blackface Super Reverb, and '67 Blackface Twin Reverb to name a few), I can tell you that my original DR504 was the best sounding clean tone I have ever gotten. I sold it because I was tired of pedals for generating my distortion tones. I wanted an amp with lower wattage and more breakup. Now I'm finding a happy balance between those style of amps ( Dr Z Rt 66 and Germino Lead 55) and my pedals. I actually now miss the incredible clean sound of that old Hiwatt. It is more full frequency than those old Fenders, with no EQ dips. I love the clean sound of my Germino, but the Hiwatt clean was a bit better. As huge sounding as my Germino, but cleaner with less midrange drive. The Hiwatt clean was bigger and a bit meaner sounding than those old Fenders with their midrange dip. The 30 watt Reeves looks very intriguing as well, but I'm not a big fan of reverb and what it does to the purity of the signal path. Hope this helps. :dude

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

That would be a cool amp, esp with the power scaling feature.

Good luck with it!! :)

13. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

The Hiwatt/Reeves will give you a bigger and tighter bottom end, more midrange and upper midrange sparkle, and chimier highs than any Fender I've played. Cranked up, it will roar with authority.

14. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Hey *Laurencer*, Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into it!

*Riffmeister*- Thanks, I'm sure it will be an awesome amp with the power scaling. It sounds like a nice feature that will tame the amp at small club levels. Should be interesting.

*GuitarBrent*- Thanks for your insight. I've owned a couple of Fenders as well, including a Blackface Super Reverb. That was probably my best clean sound to date. But there is something in their mid range that just doesn't do it for me. I guess it's always the 6L6/EL34 thing. They are both lacking in a certain way. But it sounds like the Reeves will give me a new twist on the clean sound from an EL34. It sounds like what I've been looking for when it comes to clean sound. I'll post a review when I get the 50 watter. Thanks again everybody!

Mike

15. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Please do so it will add fuel to my GAS fire! ;^)

16. Lamont

Lamont Member

Just spent the day at my friend Rons house and brought over the Reeves 30 .The wattage is great for my tastes,the added headroom w/ the 50 would be nice as well. This amp is one of the MOST pedal friendly amps we've ever heard.It took the Klon, RAT ,TS-9, and the Pete Cornish SS-3/ P-2 really well.We had a Zendrive and OCD but never made it that far.Loves teles and strats ,plus we also dug it w/sigle p-90 Les Paul jr.We didnt use the scaleing that much,but it does work well and could be quite useful.Plugging in the two button pedal dropped the vol. a bit and ill have to ask Bill about that,so the boost at this pt.i wont comment on till i know more .But all and all,,very nice rig.We played it through a Matchless 2-12 cab @ 4 ohms whice i believe is loaded w/ a pre rola g12h and an older v-30.The combination of the two in that cab is HIGHLY recommended.

17. bscepter

bscepter Member

Hmm... a Reeves 50 into a 2x12 loaded with Fane AlNiCos sounds as if it would be interesting! Grrrr! I need more money and a road crew!

18. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Excellent! When I first inquired about the Reeves amps with Bill I was interested in the 30 watt. But after talking to him about what kind of tone I was trying to achieve, he basically talked me into the 50 watt custom.

I'm glad that it's pedal friendly, I got some Cornish pedals that will do just fine I'm sure. How is the SS-3 by the way??? I heard you can dial out some of the lows? Is that true? Let me know, thanks!

Mike

19. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I hear ya!!! All this gear floating around, it's not good for my gas problem I have these days! :BITCH

We are living in a good era where there is some great stuff being built for guitar players! :RoCkIn

Mike

20. alguit

alguit Guest

You probably know this already, but just in case-to add to the tonal flexibility, you can bridge the two channels on the head and play with the balance between the two. I've found that really helpful playing at lower levels using my Cornish pedal.

And, yes, it is a heavy piece of equipment!