Reeves amp. Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by n8dogstrum6, Feb 23, 2012.

1. n8dogstrum6

n8dogstrum6 Member

I'm about to trade for a Reeves Custom 50. I read some reviews and apparently they started using suntan caps instead of mkt and mojo a few years ago. Does anyone know what year they started doing this? Does this affect the quality/sound of the amp at all?

Here is the thread that I found: http://www.vintagehiwattconvention.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1477

2. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

3. CaptRKirkB

CaptRKirkB Member

I can't believe there is no response on this. Very highly regarded, respected. Top noch hand made gear. Please someone who has one chime in. I am really a bass player and their BAss amps are held in VERY high regard and only make 1 mabey. They are really a finely made amp . Do your research.

peace Kirk

4. n8dogstrum6

n8dogstrum6 Member

I have done my research, Kirk. If you look at their website, they don't list their parts anymore. I know that Reeves has used quality parts in the past. I decided to do the trade anyway. I'll open the amp up and take gut shots. It seems pretty old and it only has the one stripe across the head instead of the two they have on now. Hopefully I get lucky :).

5. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

I've heard that the bigger wattage amps sound great. I've only owned the HG10 and was not very impressed with the tones. I tried many combinations of tubes and speakers to no avail I could not get that sound I had hoped for. The amp appeared to be built really well and was beautifully decked out in white tolex and salt/pepper grill. Maybe I just don't dig the HiWatt sound. YMMV

6. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

The Custom 10HG is about as far from the "Hiwatt Sound" as you can get.

If we thought changing the brands of capacitors negatively affected the tone of out amplifiers we wouldn't do so.

Bill

JohnLeMay likes this.
  7. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I just got a new Reeves Custom 50 a few weeks ago and it sounds great! It's my first Hiwatt style amp and I love the tone that I'm getting out of it.

8. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I love em.. Did demos for them last year. They sound great.

9. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Reeves are great. I manage a few dudes and I had a Reeves in the studio. When we moved to a new studio, I sold a bunch of stuff but i need to get an 18 again. This was Tommy's first time seeing the amp so the demo was extremely quick, not dialed in. Tommy is the guitarist for Blondie and plays on Rock of Ages on Broadway. Great Marshally tones from the 18. DId I mention I need to get one again :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgkWV1v6oLk

10. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    Any comments on the Reeves 12 ? Close to Hiwatt sound or . . .not so much ?

11. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

are they any good? sheeez! They are amazing! Top notch.

12. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to hear comments about the tone/versatility of the 12. Such a sweet spot at 12 W for the venues I play..

13. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I have a Custom 50 w/ps and a CP-504 w/ps (yeah, I know ...Townshend overload). They are great, great amps!

14. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

+1
    AND Add a compairison to the no longer made Custom 6 please.

15. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

So is this still the case? I want to know if the amp I am interested in buying is made the way the article up on the Reeves site says it is.

16. DRS

DRS Member

I have a C12 combo. Is it a small Hiwatt? Hard to say as I've never played a Hiwatt but it does let me do from The Who to Zep to KISS and decent volumes. I have power scaling so it is very versatile. Takes pedals well.

17. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Don't believe the Custom 12 is Hiwatt voiced... believe it is more in Marshall territory.

And, yes, they be great amps.

18. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

Custom 18 is the Marshall sounding

19. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have the Custom 12 as as the 6, both combos. Love both. I have gifted extensively with the 12. Great thing is how perfect it's output is for the average bar and small club gig. Love the hairy clean tones. It cleans up well with the guitar volume knob. Plenty of clean headroom with single coils. Beefy crunch with hum buckers.

20. nickthenail

nickthenail Member

I own an older, UK built, Custom 50. I am running through their front ported, Vintage Purple loaded, 1x12 cabinet.

I couldn't imagine a punchier, cleaner amp than this . It's the perfect pedal friendly amp.