Reeves Custom 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by xrleroyx, Feb 4, 2015.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I posted a thread awhile ago looking for opinions on a new combo amp to compliment my totally overkill setup.

I think I've found something in my budget (new or used) that would work for me.

How have these been in a live setting? Just trying to get some reviews or suggestions from those who either own this amp or a similar model, or have played them. There is not a store nearby that has this amp. Maybe Elderly, but that's still kind of far.

2. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

They are really great sounding, fun amps, but not a lot of headroom. Depending on your band volume and music style, you might be ok live if you are going for really crunchy tones. It didn't have enough volume for me to use live.

3. DRS

DRS Member

They are a 12w amp. They have as much headroom as the best of any 12w amp out there. A very good clean.
    This vid is how they sound.

4. RBOD

RBOD Member

I own one (and live in Dearborn, MI) and I love it. Simple to use, great tones, and quite loud. Wouldn't gig with it unless your cab will be mic'd but otherwise it's a great little amp.

5. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I have a gigging rig already (100w Verellen Skyhammer and ORange 4x12) and just need something a little more portable for our smaller gigs and for recording. How does it take pedals?

6. DRS

DRS Member

Takes pedals very well.

7. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

I have one, and use it exactly as you describe as a grab and go amp. I think it is loud for 12 watts, and find it to be perfect for small gigs and studio.
    It also takes pedals well.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I had considered the combo amp for a while. How hot do these get? The tubes are buried inside the cabinet with no ventilation at all.

9. DRS

DRS Member

Mine doesn't get as hot as a DRRI I had. Average. It only has 4 tubes.

10. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I wish there were decent demos of it with a ceramic speaker.

11. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

I never had a problem with any heat issues...It runs about as hot as the predecessor amp (Vox ac15 hw) and is just as loud, if not louder.

12. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

A question I have is about speakers for the custom 12. I have a Creamback in mine, and think it is great, but was considering a Vintage purple to to get a little more Hiwatt sound. Has anyone used the Vintage purple with their custom 12? How was the sound? Loudness? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

13. barsinister

barsinister Member

I use a Mojotone BV-30H in mine..after trying others I find that speaker likes this circuit..also I use it with volume at noon for a clean bell-like-chimey sound that my other amps dont get.

14. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

I agree that g12h type speakers work well in the custom 12, but feel they (like the creamback) push the amp to sound more Marshall like. I was wondering if anyone used the Vintage purple, or another Fane type speaker to push the custom 12 in the Hiwatt direction?

15. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

I have a Custom 6 (the "predecessor" to the 12) and run it through a G12H. Great sounding amp.

For the Hiwatt/Marshall part, I was under the impression the Custom 6/12 are more of a JTM-type amp to begin with. I've always been curious to those who have experience with JTMs... How similar is the Custom 12 to a JTM other than the obvious difference in the power section?

16. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Like a Marshall sprinkled with some Voxy chime?

17. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

Great question! I have never played a JTM45, but from what I have heard, i didnt think the custom 12 was sooo close, as the JTM is similar to a bassman. Reeves in their description also writes about JTM similarities, but I personally hear more marshal in the od, and more Hiwatt in the cleans...

18. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

My experience with the Custom 12 (bedroom playing/recording) is that if I were to play in a band with a drummer who was heavy handed at all, I'd probably have to mic it. Never tried it - just what I would expect.
    As far as cleans with the Custom 12, I've tried with the gain almost completely down and the amp still has dirt. IMO, not much for a real clean tone. All in all, a fantastic amp that I feel is more Marshall than Hiwatt.

19. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

I can get very nice cleans using my strat with power scaling up,treble, bass below 12 and volume up, but a clean machine it is not. I use this for crunch and od, and have a dr. Z MAZ for my clean(ish) contrast amp.

20. DRS

DRS Member

With the volume and PS all the way up and using the drive as a volume, below 11 o'clock, it has a clean I like. It certainly doesn't have a big, piano like Twin clean but it is a nice edgy clean that breaks up as you dig in.