Reeves Custom 18 in da hayoose!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Probos, May 31, 2008.

1. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Well - UPS delivered this yesterday quite late (around 7:30) to my pad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got some time today to fire her up. Man,..seriously,...the tone is ****ing sick. It's mostly Marshall in it's character but there's some AC30'ishness with a bit of Hiwatt karang. It's spongy feeling but firm,....hard to describe -- you can dig in but it bounces back quickly. It can be dialed in a bunch of different ways too -- it's got a three way bright switch -- normal, upper mid emphasis, and added treble. It's also got a gain boost switch, kick that in and you're in modded-JCM800 territory really quick,...plenty of gain for hard rock bordering on classic sounding metal. The cabinet is gorgeous -- Plenty of lowend thump -- I a/b'd it with my Bogner OS 2x12 loaded with WGS Veteran 30's. Not quite as big sounding as the Bogner but very close -- the Veteran 30's have more midrange and are smoother on top when compared to the Vintage Purples.

The Power Scaling is very cool -- gets a bit fizzy at really low levels with too much gain but with the Cut control and tapering back the Treble it can be tamed. So you can operate the amp three different ways:

Non-Master Vol
    Master Vol
    Power Scale

Pretty ****ing cool. Loved all the guitars I used -- Tele, SG Classic (P90s) and my Guild S-100. Lots of tones and options -- just gotta tweak a bit when going from single coils to P90s to humbuckers.

Anyway - I have a new toy to play with. Next will be the Reeves Custom 30 1x12 combo. :D Oh and BTW, best customer service ever -- Bill at Reeves read a thread here that I was getting the Custom 18. He PM'd me outta the blue and offered to email me a manual, how cool is that?

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Man that's one sweet amp! I auditioned a Custom 30 and didn't keep it but it wasn't the sound (some financial things came up.) You will love it, and I have thought about getting a Custom 18 for the Marshall flavor. I'm on the list for a Stephenson 30 Watt Reverb head, there is about a 6 month wait right now. The reason I say that is Mark Stephenson helped tweak both the Custom 18 and Custom 30. You will see on the 30 Watt head he has some similar controls, the three way boost & cut control.

Congrats on a kick a$$ amp! You are right about Bill, great guy. Now you got me thinking about an 18 to pass the time before I get the Stephenson 30. Isn't this gas ridiculous?

Thanks for the informative post!

-Seth

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

So glad to hear that it arrived safe and that you're happy.

'Tis mostly definitely a looker too!

The SG Special must be a lot of fun in Whoville :)

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Congratulations, Probos. That is a sweet looking rig. I'm jonesing for Custom 30 head myself (to add to my Custom 6 and 12).

5. Probos

Thanks Seth -- really looking forward to getting the 30. I ordered the 1x12 combo but now that I have the 2x12 cab I'm kinda wishing I went with the head,....oh well. I'm sure I like the portability factor. I've heard about the Stephenson amps and do know that he helped in the design of the 30. Wow, 6 month wait is long -- Bill said 4-6 weeks for my C30, so I have at least another 2 weeks to go.

GAS is definitely ridiculous. :eek:

- Bill

6. Probos

That guy I bought it off is actually very cool and he packed both up very well,...I ended up talking to him for quite a while yesterday. He is definitely a gear hound -- has tons of stuff.

She is a gorgeous eh?

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Yeah but DEWD now you can do a Reeves stack! :AOK

That Custom 30 combo will sound monster big with the 18's extension cab.

8. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

That's a good point FFTT, you will get the sound of the open back combo along with the slot ported Reeves cab. Should really throw down with monster tone. You will get kicked in the head and the chest with tone!

The Custom 30 has great cleans, punchy and shimmery but without the ice pick sound. The drive is amazing too, it is a very immediate amp, which is something I love. Add in the powerscaling, the fantastic sounding Reverb (which is footswitchable, along with the gain) and you have yo'self a killer amp! :dude

9. Probos

You got me gassin even more for the 30 now -- can't wait til it arrives.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

With power scaling and both cabs, you're pretty much set from bedroom to
    bordello and beyond. :)

The open back cab will also allow you to try different speakers as well
    to zero in on perfection.

Should be a very cool kit.

Gee, I wonder what Bill would say about daisy chaining the amps together :)

11. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I will be getting a Custom 6 here is about three weeks. Thats when I will have all of the cash to pay for it. I was going to do the power scaling but I think the 6 watts will be quiet enough for my house.

12. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

Bringing this one back,

Would one of these work for blues? I see Rich Robinson uses Harry Joyces and this seems to be a nice similar amp.

Also, someone up here said they have reverb, is that right?

13. Probos

Actually, the Custom 18 is a 2xEL84 low-watt Plexi-ish inspired amp. There's very little Hiwatt/Harry Joyce character to the amp -- leans very much toward Marshall-style tones but it does have it's own thing going on.

The amp can be dialed in for more bluesy stuff ala-Black Crowes, but this amp is capable of high gain tones as well in the vein of a modded-JCM800. Rich Robinson uses Harry Joyce Custom 50's (specially made for him of course), and they are a whole different animal than the Custom 18. The Custom 18 has no reverb, but the Custom 30 does. I have the 1x12 combo and it's a fantastic amp.