Reeves Custom 30...anybody own one of these?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Whiz, Aug 25, 2005.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Looks like a great amp for someone like me (90% low volume home use, 10% jamming at high volume) as it has power scaling.

KT66's. Cathode bias (I assume)? How's the reverb sound? Is the gain boost function variable?

Clearly it's got some Hiwatt influence (being Reeves) but what else does it touch on (with the KT66's)? I'm picturing a tonal cross between a Dr Z KT-45 and Dr Z Route 66 for some reason.

Speaker recommendations? Open or closed back cabs?

taco

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I'm pretty sure I was picked to do the demo of the Reeves 30 at the MI Ampfest last year. I know for sure that I demoed the 100watt 6 input. HOLY!!!That was a great sounding loud amp that I won't soon forget.

What a great sounding amp. I wish I could have spent more time with it. The power scaling is the ****. Wish I could have power scaling on my Route 66.

Can't tell ya if it's a cross between this or that though. It's been more than 6 months now and there were so many amps there that day.

3. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

You can put the yet to released Power Scaling Box kit on the Route 66. I asked Kevin O'Connor and he said it would be fine.

:D

4. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Who? What? When ??

Tell me more!!!

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

http://www.londonpower.com/kits/psbox.htm

And from an email response from him regarding putting the psbox into a route 66:

Hi taco

The UL connection makes no difference to the application of Power Scaling.

Once you have Power Scaling, you have the option of Scaling the whole amp, just the output stage or any portion in between. For single knob control, Scaling the output and splitter is recommended. Greater control and increased diversity of sounds is achieved adding a second control to balance output strage and other distortions.

Have fun
    Kevin O'Connor

6. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

7. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

My wife is jealous. Please...just go away.
    :(

:D

8. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

If you want some advice from a long time Power Scale user, definitely go with the 2 knob set-up. I think the Route 66 is a great candidate for the Power Scale BTW..

9. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

With the 2-knob set up, you still need a lot more modifications than the simple power scale box, right? Or will their be a box for the "balancing" of the power scale between pre and power amps?

:confused:

10. LaXu

LaXu Member

I think with the two knob version it's best to have the PSK installed inside the amp. You usually want the two knobs set to the same setting and if one is on the amp and another on the PSK box in the back then it becomes difficult. I asked Kevin O'Connor about it and he said the Drive Compensation control should go on the amp.

At least on my 15W Stephenson LJ-10 head the drive knob pretty much controls the distortion and compression of the poweramp. If set lower than the scale control it gives a cleaner poweramp tone, much like a master volume amp..I find this tighter tone works better with high preamp gain at least on this amp. With the drive control set higher than the scale the tone becomes more compressed and saturated, a cool effect too. With both controls set to the same position I suppose it's much like having the amp cranked with just the right dose of poweramp saturation/compression..a very dynamic sound that works especially well for tones that are less centered around preamp gain..blues, classic rock etc.

I'm not sure what kind of results it would give in a higher wattage, fixed bias amp that tend to be a bit tighter sounding in general.

11. Scottone

The drive compensation control is basically like a traditional master volume, controlling the amount of drive signal going into the power amp. Not sure what type of master volume circuit would be best with the Rt 66, but I'm sure Kevin could give you some guidance there.

LaXu's description of the operational aspects of the 2 knob setup is very good. I have a 30 watt Stephenson LJ-15 and have the same experience.

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

I wonder if it's actually in technical sense like a regular master volume, as in where it is located in the circuit. This would mean that if you wanted Power Scaling in something like a JCM800 you could just add the Scale knob, possibly replacing the standby switch for example (because Scale on zero works like Standby at least on the Stephenson). On many amps this would ensure that the mod can be reversed because no drilling was required, plus you get the Scale control conveniently in the front panel.

Of course, as you turn down the scale control the drive works on a much narrower range in the same vein as a regular master volume, after it goes above the scale it's like the regular master volume went from regular maximum position of ten to 11 and beyond, driving the amp into more saturation/distortion.

13. Scottone

I beleive that you are correct...which would make the installation easier on any master volume amp.

14. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Back to the "top"-ic at hand, a month later ...

Anyone own one of these Reeves Custom 30s? Care to report?

Gotta say, they have some cool features and reasonable price for handwired....

= Kiwi

15. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

there's some clips of the 30 watter and 18 watter on the reeves site if you haven't checked already.

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I was pretty impressed with what I heard on the Reeves site! Those 66's were sounding pretty sparkly as well! If I had the cash, I think I would take a chance on one of them. M.E.

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Yes indeed! Thus my sudden interest.

More q's: Who owns Reeves Amps now? Where are they built? Why factory direct only? (Not that that's a bad thing!)

Come now - this board is the greatest collection of amp slvts on the Net ... somebody must already own one ... :)

= K

18. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

I thought I'd clear up a few things for you all. There are many reasons we went factory direct...lower prices to the end user...you can figure our amps would be 30-40% higher if they were sold through dealers. Also, most of our dealers where selling our gear all over the country-so, why not do that our selves? Plus we offer a 20-day trial period.

As far as where the gear is currently mfgr'd-some in U.S. (Custom 6, Custom 18, Custom 30, 2x12 and 4x12 cabinets) and some in the U.K. by Hiwatt (Custom 50 and CP-103)

Feel free to email or call if you have any questions,
    Bill

19. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Man - really interested in hearing these amps...
    Long time Hiwatt fan, but don't need the 50 and 100 watters these days...
    What to sell... ;)

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I really like the clips of the the Custom 30 and actually like the Custom 18's clips even more. I noticed the price of a Custom 18 1x12 is TBA. Can you give me a ballpark estimate? Also what would the 1x12 weigh and what speaker comes in it?

Thanks, your amps look very cool.

Taco