Reeves Custom 30 I vs II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, May 24, 2015.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

How much of a difference between the two versions in regards to tone & feel?

I read on the site what was changed but I was wondering how much affect the changes had over the sound.

2. p19978

p19978 Member

I own the prototype for this model. Bot it directly from Bill.

I believe the newer model has a little more clean headroom, a variable boost, and a boost switch.

It was never intended to be a "high" gain amp anyway so I'm not sure how much more clean headroom one would want; it does, however, have that classis British "bark", especially with the KT66's.

BTW, the Powerscaling helps extend tube life: I've changed tubes twice in 9 years.

If interested, mine is for sale in the Amp Emporium.

3. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

How much volume and thump do these amps have have? Would they be considered loud or average 30 watters?

4. p19978

p19978 Member

They tend, IMHO, to have a thicker sound as opposed to a brighter, cutting sound. There is plenty of low end and it has a very clear, almost "hi-fi" sound... but with that classic British style bark... probably due to the mil-spec wiring and the Hiwatt heritage in general. It's one of those amps that doesn't "hide" your mistakes; it does give you that classic "Who" sound.

I would not recommend this amp for nu-metal but it would work for just about anything else. It takes pedals very well. I gain it up with an old tube pedal; the BK Butler Real Tube pedal. You can get into some serious gain territory with that pedal. It also sound fine with a standard tube screamer type product.

The most I've ever opened it was about 3/4 on the Powerscaling knob and I've played it with a 4 or 5 piece band since the day I bot it.

I normally use it with a Weber Silver Bell and it sounds fantastic. I have used it with Greenbacks and they sound great also. The Silver Bell is slightly brighter and would be my first recommendation.

I also have a cab with Weber Jensen reissues; not as impressed (with this amp).

It has a "Cut" control to reduce highs that I have never used with Humbuckers; I do, however, use it with brighter pups like Lollar Firebirds and it's very effective.

5. garytube

garytube Member

Love the various clips that Lance has on YouTube of the Custom 30- fantastic barky, grinding, saturated tone!

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

Standard Power Scaling and on board Reverb make the Custom 30 uniquely versatile.