Reeves Custom 30 -- Initial impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Probos, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Ok -- I finally got to spend some quality time with my new Reeves Custom 30 1x12 combo. Just to refresh you memory, here's a pic a posted in my "arrival" thread of this beauty:

[​IMG]

Well, what can I say other than the tone is really quite stunning and that I don't deserve an amp that sounds this good. Hahaha. The analogy I heard of this amp being a cross between a DR504 and a JTM45 I would say is pretty spot on. It actually has more of that Hiwatt "KARANG" than I expected. Absolutely great crunch tones, fantastic actually,...and it sounds great with all the guitars I tried -- Tele, SG Classic w/P90s and my Explorer fitted w/Rio Grande BBQ bridge and Texas neck. I know this sounds cliche' but the tone is very transparent and really lets the character of the guitar show through - more than any other amp I've owned.

I would say it doesn't have a whole lot of clean heardroom -- it can be dialed in for a very nice clean tone but this amp wants to roar and seems a bit restrained in it's delivery when dialed in clean. The Power Scaling a wonderful -- at extreme levels it fizzes out the tone a slightly so it's better used at moderate levels. If you have your own room to play in you can dial in a good room sound and not disturb anyone all that much. When run wide open it's loud, but not as loud as I thought it would be, so it will be interesting to see how it performs in a live/band setting.

The reverb is nice -- not Fender swimming in the surf reverb but very nice non-the-less. Not sure how much I'll use it with this amp though.

I was surprised at well it handled dirt boxes out front with a good amount of gain already dialed in on the amp. I've hit it with both my OCD and Crunch Box (both the the gain knobs fairly low) with very nice results. The Crunch Box turns this amp into quite the fire breathing beast -- pushes it very close to metal territory and tights up the bottom end, and still quite clear and fat.

Bill said the Vintage Purple speaker takes a good 75-100 hrs to break in, and I can tell now it's a bit stiff and on the brighter side. I'm sure it will warm up as time goes on. The lowend is strong and stays pretty firm until you use extreme amounts of gain. I also heard that this amp was on the darker side, but I've got to disagree -- it's got a good amount of bite. When I use one of my Tele's I was using the Cut knob a good bit to tame the top end.

Anyway -- I don't know what else to say. Overall I would say the Custom 30 is not ultra-versatile, but it's got it's own special character and the tones in it are tops. I need to spend more time with her, but it get's the ole - :AOK for now. The real test with be with the band.

2. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

What does the back panel look like?
    Loop? Extra speaker jack?
    Weight?

3. Probos

Not a close up but:

[​IMG]

No loop, extra speaker jack and she weighs 60lbs.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Good review! How've ya been Bill?

5. kodecar

kodecar Member

When you're sick of it, let me know!! :D

6. Tinman

Tinman Member

Wow. That surprises me. I have a Custom 50, and it has more clean headroom than I ever imagined an amp could have.

7. Probos

Hey brutha,...how you been? Long time no talk to -- how's Chi-town treating you?

8. Probos

This amp is altogether different than the Custom 50,...which I would love to own as well. That's the ultimate clean machine IMO.

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Can't complain. Congrats on the new amp. I'm sure it's a great compliment to the Hot Cat 30R (I've got one myself!).

10. Probos

That's great to hear. Thanks.

Yeah -- love my Hot Cat. Fantastic amp -- the Clean channel alone is almost worth the price.

11. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Reeves builds a great product, the 18 is on my wish list.

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Congratulations and thanks for the post. That is a really cool looking combo. Gasing.

13. Probos

I actually have the Custom 18 head and matching 2x12 cab that I got in a really sweet deal right before I got the 30:

[​IMG]

It sounds fantastic as well -- set up is similar to the 30 with Power Scaling, Vol ("Drive" on this amp actually) and Gain knobs. This amp has an added gain stage that can be engaged with a switch on the front and a three way toggle switch for Normal, Add Treble or Add Upper Mid. Lots of gain on tap - Plexi'ish, JMP'ish to modded JCM800 tones abound -- AC/DC, Zep, old (first 2 records) Def Lep, 80's style high gain and even more modern sounding tones are all in there depending on how you dial it in, guitar, pups, etc.

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

You still gotta try the Reeves Stack!

Want pix want clippage! :)