Reeves Custom 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, May 12, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So who has played one?

2. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I have a Harry Joyce custom 30 and am very eager to A/B it with the Reeves. Every Reeves I have played has been great, but none have been able to best the Joyce. So far...

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I think Lamont had/has one.

4. Killcrop

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I have been wondering about this amp as well. Wonder how it would sound with Greenbacks? Like the idea of the master and power scaling.

Chuck

6. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'd like to know about this amp too...

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

FYI, there's a positive review in the current Guitar Player mag...

8. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Just played a Reeves Custom 30 yesterday at Chicago ToneFest. AWESOME. I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure what it is you're looking for in this amp, but I really dug it. It had BALLS. The power scaling is a wonderful feature. Reverb was nice, and footswitchable. The amp has a sweet spot where you can set it to be clean-ish and then has a footswitchable boost function that was very useful. Good gain, nice round sound. They also had a Custom 18 that I played which absolutely RIPPED!!! For the $$$ alone, it's tough to argue against getting one of their amps. I was genuinely impressed.

Best,

Doc :dude

9. Killcrop

I'm thinking about pulling the ol' trigger on the 30. Priced right and have all the features I'd want. Just wish I could play one. Hey Chuck, you should buy one:rotflmao

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I'd hazard a guess that very few amps can best an HJ30. Those are great amps, and ultra rare to boot.

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have the Custom 6 combo and it is a killer. Amazing tones and build quality. I love it.

12. FredW

FredW Member

I just bought one from the emporium. I really like it so far, but I am going to experiment with some different tubes. I have tried it with 2 G12H30 anniversaries and a Scumbag H75/H55 combo. I have found that I like the sound best with the gain at 11:00 and the volume all the way up and I use the power scale as the master. It doesn't sound good using the master and gain the traditional way. The one thing that I found a little disappointing was the it sounds a little buzzy with the gain anywhere past half way. It is also darker sounding than I thought it would be, that is not a bad thing. Nonetheless it is a great sounding amp. It can get a very crunchy at very low volumes. I need to play around with it a little, I just got it yesterday. I will keep you all posted

13. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I have a Reeves Custom 50 watt. Dreamy cleans, perfect! Sounds great with Cornish pedals too.

Mike

14. Killcrop

Hey Fred, Have you thought about checking out some brighter speakers? I guess the Revves would probably be the easy answer but I bet a pair of Weber C12B's would be a great match for a somewhat dark amp.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

Heard someone playing it at the Chicago tonefest. Bright, thin, harsh.

16. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

Fred, if you like I can email you an owner's manual if you do not have one. I'm curious, where is the Power Scale and the Volume control set when you get the "buzzy gain"? The tone can get a little "fizzy/buzzy" when the PS is turned way down and the gain and volume controls are at much higher settings. Please email me or call and I'll go over some different ideas on settings. It takes a little experimentation.

Bill

17. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Hmmm. Interesting. I've not been able to get a thin, harsh sound out of my Custom 6. Of course, I don't have power scaling on my amp. Fewer controls.

18. Killcrop

I've never known any KT66 amp to be bright, thin or even harsh. Maybe the bass was on zero and the treble was on 10. :messedup

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

I don't know anything about how it was set up, just heard it as I was walking by and thought it was an awful sounding amp. Very well could have been dialed poorly.

20. FredW

FredW Member

If you have the gain cranked and the master at a lower level, this is possible. I want to thank Bill for reaching out. That is great customer service! I have found a sweet spot that sounds great. I believe that the controls are interactive, so you have to play with it a little to find it. The power scaling works great, I wish I had it on my Marshall heads. I am going to bring it to my friends studio and try it thru his Hiwatt cab. I can see that this amp probably likes a more neutral speaker with little or no breakup, it is based on a Hiwatt but it definitely has it's own thing going.