Reeves Custom 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by saucyjack, Feb 5, 2008.

1. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Interested in the Reeves amp.
    I have a Tophat King Royale and Dr.Z Maz jr but looking for another/different flavor...never really played a Hiwatt but I think that's the vibe I'm after.

Probably looking at combo(1-12) for gigs.

The Custom 50 sounds like what I want but trying to get some opinions especially the combo.

The Maz jr sounds real good but I tend to run out of headroom with full band cooking.The King Royale is plenty loud but want to try a new sound.I have a nice pedalboard to dial up overdrives so I'm really wanting a ballsy,punchy clean sound with some headroom...most of the clubs are hold 50-200 folks so I need some volume but don't want to kill.

How does the Custom 50 sound?I really want to play one but that isn't going to happen
    How heavy is it?
    I'm a bit concerned about moving from 2x12(or2x10) to single 12.

2. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

3. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Great sounding amps,unfortunately mine quit on me about 2 months after I got it.It went back to Reeves under warranty,and I'm now trying to get it converted into a 2x12 combo.With my '58 Les Paul,the cleans were very thick and chimey,and on some chords almost sounded as if it had a natural reverb going on.You only get into overdrive as you inch the channel volume up...then you get a real crisp,clear,Townshend type sound. The 1x12 combos are huge,and heavy...that's why they sound so big.

You got some good taste in gear man...I just picked up a King Royale head that I plan to run through the Reeves's speakers when I get it back.

4. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Cool.
    I'd be interested inhearing how the King Royale compares to the Reeves.

What did you not like about the 1-12 setup ?

5. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

6. Tinman

Tinman Member

I've got the head. I run it through an open-back Avatar 212 loaded with Weber ceramic Thames. Huge punchy clean sound. Eats Twins for breakfast. Insanely loud, but the master volume works well. I actually crank the master and adjust volume with the channel volume. Sounds great with OD pedals. Big trannies = Big sound = big weight. Sounds a whole lot better that the clips on the Reeves website.

7. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Too loud for small-mid sized clubs?
    How heavy is the head?

8. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

I love Vintage HIWATTs. I think the Reeves amps are very very good. IMO heads and a cab are the only way to go.

Part of what makes these amps so incredible is the big transformers. That means they will be heavy. That is the bottom line.

I honestly believe that 99.9% of the guys out there and their backs would be better off with a head and 2x12 cab.

And the Reeves Vintage Purple speakers are EXCELLENT!

The Reeves 2x12 is the best new cab you can mate to that head.

Once the VP's are broken in, there is nothing like them out there,

Trust me on this!

9. KBN

KBN Member

I have a Custom 50 head. Definitely a lot of steel in those transformers. Great sounding amp. Getting this amp was the first time I experienced amp break-in. When I first plugged it in, it sounded pretty good, but not as nice as the vintage Hiwatts sounded that I had played. Seemed a little stiff. (Speaker cab I was using was well broken in) After a couple of weeks of playing it, it started to sweeten up. I love this thing. Forced me to become a better player. I highly recommend the amp and the company.