Reeves Custom 6 or 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I've been in the market for a low watt combo and have it down to one of these. I've been through a ton of low watt marshall type amps and a few others (Aiken tomcat, Marshall 1974x, Peavey Delta Blues 2x10, Savage Macht 6/12). Right now I have a Swart Space Tone 1x8. It's plenty loud and I love the cleans, but the overdrive isn't quite doing it for me. Anyway, I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction between the two. I want a good, complex chimey clean. I also like a good clean overdrive. I'll try to explain it. When the amp is overdriven and you play a G, you can still tell it's a G and hear all the notes, make sense? I don't play much lead, mostly rhythm. Head room isn't an issue for me because I play small places and record. I guess I was just trying to see if there is a difference in tone between the two, not head room. I didn't know if the maybe the 12 was a little thicker or more complex. Also, do you suggest the power scale option? I didn't know if that interfered with the tone when it's out of the circuit.

As far as guitars, I play a Tele and Les Paul. Some guys who style and tone I did are Mike Campbell, Brit pop rock (Oasis), Townshend, U2(The EDGE), 90's alt rock (radiohead, pearl jam)

2. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

If money isn't an issue,of course get the 12.More is always better! :cool:

3. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

The twelve rocks like a Marshall 18 but with much more tone, sustain/gain and less compression. Even seemed louder than an 18 watter!! Beautifully constructed as well.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Both are excellent amps. You can't go wrong with either for your application.

5. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Anybody else wish to chime in before I pull the trigger?

6. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

I just picked up the Custom 12 head with power scaling. I think it would suit your needs nicely. An OCD in front of it is friggin heavenly!