Reeves Custom 6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gregory70, Jan 4, 2006.

1. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

Anybody got one, had one, heard one, played one, etc? Describe the tone? I guess I really don't know what the Hiwatt sound is...

2. gregory70

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've had a Reeves Custom 6 for a few months now and have to say it's the nicest amp I've owned to date. It's rated at only 6 watts, but it's class A and really loud. When cranked it will easily rattle the windows in my house and send the dogs running. In a pretty quiet jam, I could only take the volume up half way before drowning out the drummer. I think it would hang in a full band situation, especially with a mic.

The tone is pretty sweet, very non-master Marshall. It's sweet, not raspy, and also has that nice Marshall glassiness to it. My Strat sounds killer through this and my LP's never sounded this sweet. I generally play without pedals, because I like the warm thick sound of the power tubes being pusheda bit. I generally play it around 3 o'clock when no one's around, but it's got nice full-bodied clean starting around 11 o'clock.

One more thing, this amp is pretty heavy and big for a 6-watt amp. It's about the same size and weight as my Peavey Delta Blues with single 15. It's not a little practice amp. It's amp that let's you drive the single EL-84 for all it's worth and get some really great tones.

Anyway, hope this helps.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

OK, after making the post I went and plugged my American Standard Strat into the Reeves Custom 6 and channeled some Hendrix for an hour or so. I kept the volume at about 11 o'clock to keep the noise down. I had forgotten to mention the clean sounds from this amp. Beautiful. I'm a reverb junky, and with this amp, I don't even miss it. Luscious. Wind Cries Mary to the 9's. Love it.

5. gregory70

Thanks, Man. I missed an opportunity to buy one of these a few weeks back - your post makes me wish I had tried harder. I'll keep an eye out for one of these.

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

7. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Fifthstone - I agree with what you say. I have had one for about 3 months and have really enjoyed it. The amp has some great tone for 6 watts.....not much headroom (to be expected), but a great amp. Good tone for classic rock.
    But let me reiterate, it is not a small amp. I was very surprised when it showed up.
    It is a great amp though, but it does not seem that Reeves is making them anymore unfortunately. Maybe the new low watt Hiwatt is similar?

8. gregory70

Do you happen to know their price (I could ask myself, I know, but I figured why not ask you)?

9. aquadog

aquadog Member

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Gregory7, I didn't buy from them so am not sure of price. I think it's around the 1k mark. Give him a call (mornings are best). Again, great shop, and Paul is aces.

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I just found out from another thread that Junior's Music just burned down over the weekend. Terrible. Paul is a great guy and that store was one of the best. I can't believe it.

12. doc2iron

doc2iron Member

They show up on e-bay from time to time @ $600 - $700.
    Smokin little amp.

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I just checked on ebay and none found. I did see one a couple of months ago.

14. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

Am I correct that these can be played through headphones? Without smoking the output transformer?

If so, how do they sound through the headphones? That would make them very hard to resist for playing when the wife and kids are asleep!

15. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Yes, it does have a headphone jack. I've only used it once (actually forget it's there) and didn't think much of the sound. I would assume the circuit was designed properly so it would present a dummy load sufficent for the output transformer. Hadn't even thought of that actually. But again, I don't care for the sound through the headphone jack. I think if that's the kind of playing you need to do (e.g. silent) one of those modeling dewhickies might be your best bet.

16. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

how much does one of these custom 6's weigh?

17. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

About 45lbs. It's not light. And it's not strictly a practice amp. With moderate stage volume and maybe a mic on the speaker, this amp can play out. Just played some more this morning. Beautiful tones, man.

18. doc2iron

doc2iron Member