reeves cutting out

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by theinteriorleag, Mar 6, 2008.

1. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I brought my Reeves custom 6 home from work, and now it is making some noise. The amp fades in and out, not fading out all the way, but I'm not getting a full sound, or a really good sound for that matter. A snowflake could've fell into one or both of the inputs when I carried it to the car. I don't know if that would be the culprit.

I've swapped out the preamp and power tube, plugged into a different cab, tried a different cable, and now I've air-dusted the amp and put deoxit on all the good parts. I've got to let it sit for the night now.

Any ideas of what is wrong or anything else I can do? thanks.

2. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

sorry to hear about that, I was going to suggest tubes as it happened once with my voodoo and a new tube cured the problem. Check the speaker connection from jack to speaker. You probably have but its a thought.

3. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

Thanks. I got all those covered so far. I used the combo's speaker and cable, then tried my 4x12 and a different cable. I'm hoping that if there are any issues, the deoxit will get it...I put that in all the speaker jacks, the tube sockets, and the inputs. If that doesn't get it though, I've exhausted what I know to try, although with such a simple circuit, I wouldn't be afraid to try other things with some guidance.

4. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

You have most of it covered and it is an extremely simple circuit for sure. I'm gambling deox on the tube sockets and possibly the tube pins will do the trick and hopefully you will have a functional Reeves tomorrow :)

5. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

It looks like the Deoxit and progold cured the problem. whewh.