Reeves...decisions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by khudson, Jun 25, 2008.

1. khudson

khudson Member

I have been jonesing for a Hiwatt/Reeves amp for sometime now. I use to have a HiWatt Bulldog some time ago. Was pleased with the tone, but had a lot of technical problems (bad soldering joints, etc), so it was in & out of the shop a lot, so I got rid of it.

The Hiwatts (Hylight, Biacrown & Audio Bros) seem hard to come by & you never know what condition they will be in if & when you come across one for sale.

So I have my eye on the Reeves Custom 30 & Custom 50. I will use it primarily for recording and some band use. I hear the 50 is insanely loud, but I really want those chimey cleans & I am kind of partial to the original Hiwatt design. If he offers the 50 with powerscaling I think that will be the ticket. Does anyone know if this is a sure thing?

From what I read, the Custom 30 is a tweaked version and will get between marshall & hiwatt tones, right? I have a Reinhardt 18, so I don't really want marshall type tones, so I am a little hesitant about this amp. I don't want duplicate or near duplicate tones, I want that old hiwatt vintage tone. But the wattage is probably more in line though with my use.

What kind of input can you guys give me? Thanks...

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

I have a Custom 50. It's insanely loud, yet fantastic. I don't know much about recording, but that amp might be overkill. I read on TGP recently that the Custom 30 breaks up fairly quickly.

3. khudson

khudson Member

That's what I heard too. I want the hiwatt cleans more so than outright distortion. Would you then say the custom 50 if powerscaling is available would be the best fit?

4. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Picked up a Custom 50 several weeks ago.

Yes,It's loud but MV works pretty decent but needs to be pushed a bit for best sound.

I don't think Reeves offers Custom 50 with Powerscaling at the moment.

I went back and forth b/t the 30 and 50 but in the end really wanted the classic Hiwatt vibe.
    I gig in small/medium sized clubs and the 50 with 2x12s is bordering on overkill for my needs but the sound is so good I'm dealing with it for now.

I might look into an attenuator at some point to knock the edge off.

5. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

Then you'll really like what we'll be announcing in July:tapedshut

6. Tinman

Tinman Member

That's me exactly.

7. khudson

khudson Member

Something tells me my wish has come true...:dude

8. Tinman

Tinman Member

I don't suppose you can retro-fit whatever it is you'll be announcing in July?

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I Have a Reeves Custom 12 and the build quality and customer service is great.

10. Woozy

Woozy Member

Seriously... This is great news.
    I had an email that I was planning on sending about this very matter.

If you're taking requests (ha), then how about a
    Reeves Signature CP504 with Power-Scaling?
    :banana

11. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

Bill, if you're putting out a Custom 50 with power scaling, I'll be all over it in seconds! This is something I've been dreaming about.

-- S

12. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

The power scale Custom 50 was unveiled in the Vintage Hiwatt Convention last week. I got to play with it. The "quieter" volumes was the same as the cranked volumes! Got to try it in those Reeves Fang speakers and heard classic Hiwatt. But I'm more used to Celestions and that was my preferred tone, as I tried it out in Clayton's 4x12 Marshall celestion cab. Creamy and smooth, pleasant to the ear distortion at tolerable levels. I'd be all over it myself if I didn't already have the Custom Lead.

Clayton: thank you for your Hospitality.

13. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I have a Custom 30 w/PS and I'm due to recieve a Custom 50 head here in about 3 days. I asked Bill about the PS model and he said it was close but I chose to go with the straight up, ear splitting regular model. Was thinking about waiting on the PS model but I plan on using the 50 as a clean platform for pedals and can always use my 30 for the quieter stuff.

14. Probos

BTW - khudson -- The Custom 30, IMO, has much more of a Hiwatt vibe than Marshall (JTM45). The ratio I kept hearing before I bought was 2/3's Hiwatt, 1/3 JTM45 -- but I was say it's more like 3/4 to 1/4. I also kept hearing that it was a dark sounding amp, but that's not the case with mine. It's leans more toward the bright-side and has that Hiwatt "krang" -- I love it.

15. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Just ordered a Custom 50 last week. Damn, I wish I'd had the extra dough for the ps version. Oh well, Bill did say he can retro-fit the power scaling in later which I'm sure I'll have done when I can.

16. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

At the last LA Amp Show I got to try a Custom 30 with a 50 sitting right on top of a 2x12 stack. The power scaling feature on the 30 was so JTM/plexi and the 50 gave killer Hiwatt tones. A Reeves guy there had a stunning Orville Gibson, flame top Les Paul from Japan and I swore after only seconds of playing leads with the 30's power scaling feature I would have both heads as soon as possble. Maybe not this year but definitely next!

17. Probos

It's funny -- I don't get as much of a JTM, and definitely not a Plexi vibe from my Custom 30. I definitely hear the JTM45 influence in the circuit but the Hiwatt vibe is more prevalent to me. Oh well, different ears hear things differently I suppose.

I'll have my Custom 50 on Wednesday --> :RoCkIn

18. madstrat

madstrat Member

i really don't find my 50 that loud...i mean it can push if need be
    but the master works well for me...

or you can play outside!!!!

[​IMG]

19. Probos

Nice -- Are you just running your 50 as a clean platform for pedals? That is a Crunch Box I spy no? I have one of those on my board that I love.

I order additional face plates from Bill for both my Custom 30 and 50. This way I can use either amp as a head or drop em in my 1x12 combo enclosure.

20. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Custom 30 sounds like the amp, man. What you just described sounds awesome. Add a Crunchbox and you've got it all. If I ever sell my Reinhardt, I'm getting a Custom 30.