• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Reference Amp For Pedals

What amp would be a good testing ground for pedals.

• Fender Pro Jr.

• Fender Blues Jr.

• Fender Silver Face Twin

• Fender Silver Face Vibrolux

• Fender BF Deluxe

• Fender Champ

Results are only viewable after voting.

theHoss

Howdy,

I am curious what folks would consider a good reference point for pedal comparison clips. The amp would be run clean. I would like to hear what people think in regards to a "baseline" that could be used to compare and hear various pedals. I will post a limited poll. The poll is fender amps because of their availability and cleanliness. If there is something I missed, feel free to add it. My thought would be to use an amp that is accessible (i.e. common and not too expensive, or maybe a classic vintage amp), and very simple tone stack, no reverb? I'm curious what others might consider a good testing ground.

TieDyedDevil

The amp influences what you hear from the pedal. Most folks choose pedals because they work with a specific amp.

What are you hoping to accomplish by naming one "reference" amp?

theHoss

The amp influences what you hear from the pedal. Most folks choose pedals because they work with a specific amp.

What are you hoping to accomplish by naming one "reference" amp?

You are absolutely right, it is a tough, and probably impossible. It might be a better goal to have several amps to demo pedals on. That might be a better approach. I was reading an earlier post (sorry I can't find it), where someone was saying that is they were listening to clips, they would like to have a reference point (a baseline amp) that would be used for the clips. There wasn't mention about what amp they would suggest, but I was curious what others might consider as a good starting point.

You do make an excellent point in regards to the difficulty of single out an amp, but if possible, I am curious what might fit the bill?

Yeah, this is tough... I'd prefer to hear the pedal with a strat and a jtm45 style amp... so I guess Bassman.

But, I like to run my amp at the verge of breakup, so I also prefer pedal reviews that dont have the amp dead clean.

Sparky6string

What amp would you suggest? Would your decision be based on Tube Type, wattage, brand, etc?
I mean if I planned on using the pedal with a Fender I'd use a Fender, but I've never felt that they took pedals as well as others. I've auditioned more pedals with my Traynor YBA-1 (takes pedals EXTREMELY well) so I guess it'd be that.

theHoss

I mean if I planned on using the pedal with a Fender I'd use a Fender, but I've never felt that they took pedals as well as others. I've auditioned more pedals with my Traynor YBA-1 (takes pedals EXTREMELY well) so I guess it'd be that.

Gottcha, makes sense. I would have to check that amp out. You are totally right about planning the match between the pedal and amp.

theHoss

Yeah, this is tough... I'd prefer to hear the pedal with a strat and a jtm45 style amp... so I guess Bassman.

But, I like to run my amp at the verge of breakup, so I also prefer pedal reviews that dont have the amp dead clean.
Yeah, that is a tough one as well. We you are looking at boosts, od, etc. The setup really makes a big difference. And as you pointed out, is your amp clean, or is it on the verge of breakup.

It might be a more interesting guestion to ask the various setups and scenerios that players would like to see pedals run. That might be the approach alot of builders should take. I do think that clips should describe the setup, and the reasons behind the setup.

All good points so far, although, I think the poll might be a bit misplaced. Ah well, we could always start another one.

Thanks for the input.

trinitysun

As stated above, it is going to be really tough to find an amp/cab/speaker that doesnt color the pedal sound in some way.

Why not run them direct into a mixer and through a power amp?

i think a multi channel amp is cool for pedals cause you have a clean channel to start with then you have one or two more channels of overdrive which you can mix pedals with for harmonic breakup, adding pedals to this slightly or more broken sound gives u more variety to pick from then a single channel amp in my opinion