Reference Monitors help.......

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dnumde, Apr 9, 2008.

1. dnumde

dnumde Member

I've just got myself a pair of KRK RP-5 to do some rough mixes in my room, and i do know that for optimum placement...it's the usual equilateral triangle and with the monitors at the height where your head is.

I'm currently placing them on the desk and it's giving me bass-o-mania, i'll give myself at most 2 or 3 weeks to solve this but how did some of you got around to getting the monitors to that height? I went to my local shops and all they have is the Samson MS200 and i'm not willing to go ahead with this yet is because of space constraint in my room.

If anyone has any suggestion as to raising the monitors on my desk to the proper level, it will be greatly appreciated. I'll be getting a set of Auralex MoPads to help with decoupling too, so just gimme all the suggestions :)

Also, I'm looking to place some diffusers(hopefully i'm right) to treat the wall behind the DAW and monitors....wouldn't mind some pointers in this direction too. Phew, what a long query and thanks in advance guys.

2. ted01

ted01 Member

Depending on asthetics, you could use something as simple as a couple of cinder blocks. Getting the monitors up off the desk will help decouple them from the desk and lower the effective bass output. In addition to diffusion, you may want to consider installing some bass traps. Standing waves are particularly noticeable in smaller rooms. If you can get a couple of bass traps installed in the corners of your room it will help give you a better response without sgnificant dips and comb filtering that will really become noticeable in your mixes when you listen to them in other places.

3. dnumde

dnumde Member

Wow thanks for the tips ted, i was intending to get bricks but nowhere to be found (or at least a store nearby). I'll see what other similar stuff i can find to be used as a leverage.

About the bass traps, if my room is very packed with shelves and stuff and the corners are all concealed. Do i still need the bass traps? By corners, i take it that you mean the actual ones of a room.

Oh and i forgot to mention, i'm placing the monitors spaced about 2.5 ft apart as my desk is pretty compact. I suppose that the spacing of monitors wouldn't be much of an issue?