Refinish for Ibanez RG

rublalup

Hello, this is the “oldest” guitar I still have with me. Is a 99 Ibanez RG 570 in a finish called Vampire Kiss.

I don’t really play that guitar much anymore as my style has shifted to “non-shred” side. I was thinking of selling the guitar but I just couldn’t... this weekend I play with it for a bit and the thing plays and sounds very nice. Is also a gift from my mother and I definitely want to keep it and include it back in rotation.

The finish has really grow old on me and I find it very boring. Thinking of re finish in white but would really like some advices and ideas. The paint job would be done by a good luthier.

I appreciate you’re input.

PD: couldn’t upload the pic of my guitar... the color is like wine

DonP

So is it a graphic "Vampire Kiss" or is it a solid color? Pics would help.

From a google search - not same model:

Color like wine? What's wrong with that? I'd like to get a dark metallic wine red strat like Dave Murray had.

Plenty of boring white guitars out there. I have a white Charvel ProMod, a white Jackson Adrian Smith...

No more white, black or sunburst. Well, if I saw a white Model 6 or 650XL or a white Model 5A....

_MonSTeR_

How about a bright red metal flake finish? Or a really deep candy apple red?

That way you’re keeping the guitar along the lines of the original, so it’d still be fairly close to what your Mother bought for you, but refreshed for the 2020s?

xzacx

Vampire Kiss is such a cool Ibanez color, one of the more desirable old ones and getting harder to find. To each their own though—if you don't like it you don't like it and should do what you want. But I'd 100% keep it, if it was me.

V-man

It sounds like you have a dilemma with your own reasonableness. You don’t play the guitar, yet you don’t want to get rid of it. If you were convinced that investing hundreds of dollars into a refin will get it in your hands for good, then have at it. But how bad would it be to find out that you were out The price of another guitar for a refin, Only to find out that it’s back in the case?

I would spend some amount of time attempting to bond with it.If it inspires you and is actually worth the cost of a refin then go ahead and do it. If not then sell it or hide it back in the case

rublalup

So is it a graphic "Vampire Kiss" or is it a solid color? Pics would help.

From a google search - not same model:

Color like wine? What's wrong with that? I'd like to get a dark metallic wine red strat like Dave Murray had.

Plenty of boring white guitars out there. I have a white Charvel ProMod, a white Jackson Adrian Smith...

No more white, black or sunburst. Well, if I saw a white Model 6 or 650XL or a white Model 5A....
That’s exactly the color. I’m sorry but I can’t add pictures, not sure why.

To all who have replied thanks. I would elaborate a bit, maybe that can help me find some answers too.

This was my first “good” guitar. It was my main one for a few years. I loaded with Dimarzios and the sound was always great. Tuning stability of that bridge is amazing and the guitar plays good.

I then discover fenders and lately teles specifically. My main guitar now is a richie Kotzen tele... totally opposite neck profile.

I was selling the guitar a couple years back so I unloaded the bridge and middle pickups and just left the paf pro of the neck and put it on the bridge position. Sounds good.

last week I took the guitar out again and really enjoyed playing it. Of course it has nothing similar to my main axes but maybe that’s good. I put some satch’s backing tracks and shred for a bit. It was good

at the end I decided I really have no need to sell the guitar. But, call me superficial, I really think a change of finish can be a good novelty that inspire me to take the guitar to rehearsals and play it a bit more.

I understand that the finish is cool, but it really has grow old on me. If you ask me I would love to make it an Andy Timmons copy, but I already have lot of sunbursts and the basswood probably looks ugly. I would also love swirl Ibanez and jems, but without the colorful pickups and fretboard inlays it has no point.

I then saw a white js1200 and tought that kind of cream, no so white white could be a cool option.

I can get a refinish for a lot less than a new guitar! So cost is not really a problem. Is a good Luthier but in my country that kind of Jobs aren’t as expensive as in the us.

I already ordered a dimarzio satchur8 for the bridge and tought of putting the pf pro back on the neck.

please keep the ideas coming!

rublalup

Decided for blue whale to white fade, no middle pickup, no pickup rings (need to fill cavities and cnc). Pad pro on neck and satchur8 on bridge.

Will report back with pics in about 6 weeks.

Trending Topics