Refinished pre CBS Strat with Repro Decal?

I'm looking at a refinished 60's pre CBS Strat that also has a repro decal. I'm not even 100% sure I want to place an offer for a vintage Strat without the original decal, except for the fact it would be the cheapest way to get my hands on an otherwise dream Strat.

How much discount would you guys expect off of a typical refinished price for a pre CBS 60's Strat, and could you stomach the fact that it's missing the original decal considering it's also a long term investment?

Surely the question is what the quality of the decal is?

You can get new decals that are identical to what was there previously. And the replacement decal isn’t an attempt to fake it, is it? It’s a Fender. And if they had to refinish the neck, the decal had to be replaced.

If you can secure an even further discount on the grounds the decal was replaced, I’d suggest this is even more attractive than without it. I don’t think it makes any difference whatsoever so long as the replacement decal is good quality. Unless this is purely for investment purposes.

If you want a vintage guitar and this is what you can afford go for it. It’s a decal…. I get it in terms of rascals/investment. But it’s the same guitar. You want a vintage guitar i say take the discount and run

I haven't placed an offer, but seller has almost doubled his asking price now. Unbelievable
Ouch! I tend to agree that the correct price can only be if you and the seller come to an agreement. Unfortunately it sounds like that is less likely to happen now.

I haven't placed an offer, but seller has almost doubled his asking price now. Unbelievable
You said it was priced half of a refin? I would have jumped all over that if the only difference was the decal. Looks like he came to his senses. When you see a deal gotta Jump on it

No, I was considering offering half price of a refinished body. It was already a bit overpriced, now he's priced dearer than original condition righties. He started off in the middle.

I suspect he'll offer **% off soon, so it will seem like a killer discount

I hear what you're saying, but it's not really the case though, is it? I once purchased a '68 bodied partscaster with an aftermarket neck and no decal for $450. I'm certain everyone here would make the same deal, so it's not a case of never but at what price we would all be comfortable.

The refinish job on this guitar is also quite horrible, so it would leave me open to maybe refinishing it in a pastel colour, which is almost non existent for a left handed Strat of that era.

I understand how uncomfortable the idea is of having a non original decal on a vintage Fender is, but everything has a price
I suppose it all depends on your definition of "long-term investment". The thing is what it is, right. It's not a collectible or it would have had yet a few zeroes at the end of that price-tag, most likely. It's for your benefit and for you to play on, right? In that light: would the world crumble because the decal isn't original, not any of the finish on it being original? Or am I missing the point you're trying to make here now?

I’d have to say from a players standpoint, the Playability of the neck is all I care about….yes value wise dedication want the original but depending on the price I’d say original pups, and neck condition are key. Overall playability and feel. . Unless your just buying it as an investment

If you want a vintage guitar and this is what you can afford go for it. It’s a decal…. I get it in terms of rascals/investment. But it’s the same guitar. You want a vintage guitar i say take the discount and run
This. In the '90s I got the vintage Strat bug but couldn't afford vintage prices. I ended up with a mongrel: '66 neck/tuners, '69 body/trem/HW, combination of '66 and '69 pickups. It was $650. As a player guitar it's a dream. People told me I should wait and save up for an investment-grade Strat. Instead I paid a relative pittance and immediately had a fantastic instrument to play. Of course the parts alone are worth thousands now but why would I sell it? It's possibly the best guitar purchase I've made.

I'm one of those people that doesn't care about an original decal if the price is right. I picked up a 55 Telecaster about 5 years ago that had been poorly refinished with a repro decal for less than the cost of a Custom Shop Tele. It helped that I bought it in person so I was able to verify that just about everything else was correct. I might be more hesitant buying a similar guitar online however.

No, I was considering offering half price of a refinished body. It was already a bit overpriced, now he's priced dearer than original condition righties. He started off in the middle.

I suspect he'll offer **% off soon, so it will seem like a killer discount
I would agree, that the seller is looking for a good offer, and not the asking price. Trying to inflate the asking price to make a reasonable offer seem like a bargain. I would throw him an almost low ball offer and see if you can find out what the seller is actually look to get for it. Hard to say what its worth, but I would use the LP broken headstock standard option , and take off 50% the going rate.

If he's raising the price then he's getting offers and finding out that the market value is more than what he initially listed it for. That's too bad for you, sadly. The value is that of a full refin, minus some mojo factor for the decal. No one's ever going to agree on that part. I realize that this entire conversation is focused on the thing as an object for investment, which is sad. If I were looking at that guitar, I'd be thinking about whether re-refinishing it and restoring it would yield the guitar I would love to own. If the body is intact, if the neck -- the all-important, most critical thing -- is right for me, and if the pickups are original, I would be super-excited. Personally, I love beautiful refins and I love guitars that can be put into fantastic performance condition. I've never done anything but make good money when I eventually sell a guitar. For one like that, resale would be my heirs opportunity and not my concern.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom